• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Still feel seasick

Thistle

Mouseketeer
We've been home since tuesday from our cruise and the first day I felt kina woozie and dizzy, then the 2nd day it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Totally sick like I was on the high sea and since then it's kinda trailed off. Anyone else come home and feel like this? I used Scop patches but never had this effect before. It was a different brand this time. If it doesn't clear up I'm going to the Dr on tuesday but sheesh, what do I say, "I'm seasick?"

I am going on my 1st cruise with three kids and was wondering what the chances were of getting sea sick. I thought the bigger ships weren't that bad. Did you see a lot of people getting sea sick?

Nobody got seasick. We even had some rough nights. If you feel a little something coming on head down to the medical center, they have tabs you can take.

I didn't get seasick at all, I just came home and started to feel that way.

I don't mean to be over the top, but I've never heard of sea sickness like that. However, I have heard of a virus/cold/flu thing that starts like that. Are you sure you're maybe not just comeing down with something? If it keeps up, I would at least go see a Doc in the Box or somebody. Good luck and feel better! :hug:

so should I have my group take something before getting on the ship or just wait it out and see how they do, suggestions anyone?

We did a 3 nighter in Dec '04 b/c I wasn't sure how I'd be. I took bonine before boarding and every day, plus ginger capsules and I was fine, even with the 16' waves we had the first night. Our room was all the way forward and I did get a little woozy, but once I went back mid-ship, wasn't so bad.

When we got OFF, DDs and I "rocked" for about 3 days. I still took the bonine and ginger after getting off the ship. We went to Coral Reef for dinner the night we disembarked and everyone was laughing at us b/c we were literally rocking in our seats (and didn't notice!) :lmao: Standing in queues at WDW was interesting, too, b/c we'd have to sway to keep from getting woozy/dizzy. It tapered off and the 4th day or so, was completely gone. I learned that your brain "gyroscope" adjusts to the motion of the sea and just like you have to get your "sea legs", you have to get your "land legs" back, too. It's worse for some people (me included) which is what worries me about the 7 nighter in November we have booked.

BTW, the scop patches can also make you sick, which is why I don't use them.

I don't mean to be over the top, but I've never heard of sea sickness like that. However, I have heard of a virus/cold/flu thing that starts like that. Are you sure you're maybe not just comeing down with something? If it keeps up, I would at least go see a Doc in the Box or somebody. Good luck and feel better! :hug:

I didn't even get sick on the cruise, so I'm thinking it's something like a virus. Weirdest one I've ever experienced. Was just wondering if any one else had experienced this.

Thanks for the hug, much needed! This is going to be one quiet new year's.

so should I have my group take something before getting on the ship or just wait it out and see how they do, suggestions anyone?

I tell EVERYONE, take bonine (NON-drowsy dramamine) about an hour before stepping onto the ship and carry ginger capsules in your pocket. I'm very well known in my family for having thrown up all over Europe. We travelled by car a LOT and I got sick every single time. Even now, I have to be driving, not even a passenger up front, or I get queasy. Space Mountain is a no-go for me and BTMRR is pushing it.

16 foot swells that did cast members in on our cruise did not faze me. I had a small buzz from the bonine, but did fine during dinner and the show. It was so bad that during Hercules, Hades had a line that brought a small laugh from the audience and he said, "Hey, I realize there's only 25 of you out there, but STILL, you can laugh louder than that!" :lmao: The seas were BAD. People were passed out on deck 4 and there were "protein spills" all over the deck, bad. I went back to the room, but we were all the way forward, so it was like an amusement park ride, so I did start to get queasy. The idea is to keep the queasiness from even starting. I went back mid-ship after taking some ginger capsules and was fine. After the first night, everyone got better, but I still kept up the bonine/ginger regimen for 3 days AFTER we got off the ship.

BTW, it's also a good idea to take a bonine at home in the evening just to give it a "trial run" and see how you do on it. It doesn't knock me on my behind like dramamine does, but it does give me a buzz, so I don't feel safe driving with it.

Thanks for the tips Dawn, I'm also one of those thrown up all over London people! I'm used the SmithKline patches before but they were all out of them so used a different brand. Right away I noticed a difference but since I wasn't getting sick I thought everything was okay. It was a 10 day cruise so I guess my body got use to being on the ship and I took my patch off before we even docked so I could get it out of my system. Think I'll be looking into those ginger tabs. Can you get them at health food stores?

My 23yo DD uses the Scop patches for flying and for cruises. She is fine when she uses them a day at a time for flights, but it's a completely different story for cruises. She usually feels very seasick for 2-3 days after each cruise.

I do very well on bonine and ginger pills. However, DD tried it once for a flight and was sick the whole time. I take one bonine every morning and 2 ginger pills three times a day beginning the day before embarkation. At dinner every night we all drink ginger ale. I've also heard that green apples can help with sea sickness.

Graygables is right - it can take a couple of days to get your sea legs and also a few days to get your land legs back. It's all linked to the fluid in your inner ear.

You can get ginger pills about anywhere that vitamins are sold - pharmacies, Target, etc.

Good luck! Hopefully it will pass soon!

I can relate to your problem!

I never got seasick while on 3 cruises (thank God for Bonine), but I did suffer the vertigo AFTER the cruise.
And what I just figured out is that it is proportional to how rough the sea was!

First cruise: 20 to 30 foot swells, rough for many days. I suffered from vertigo for about a month after the cruise.

Second cruise: no more than 10 foot swells for one or two nights. I suffered from vertigo for about 10 days after the cruise.

Third cruise: Wonderful seas. Worst was maybe 5 feet for about 5 hours at the beginning of the cruise. I suffered from vertigo maybe 2 hours after getting off the ship!!!

My advice? I really don't have any. I continued the Bonine after getting off the ship, but honestly I don't think it helped.

So aside from sea sickness, any type of vitamins or such I should take to keep my energy level up to survive 7 days of disney?

I always start taking the ginger root capsules two weeks before the cruise and continue them until one week after my return. I take the bonine starting the day before the cruise and also continue that for one week after my return. That has worked for me for my 10 cruises - 11th is coming in January! :goodvibes

The reason I continue for a week after the cruise ends is that, particularly if you have been at sea 7 nights or longer, it helps control the vertigo. The vertigo is because after all those days you finally get your "sea legs" and then find yourself no longer on a rocking ship, so you can feel disoriented.

As for vitamins - One-A-Day Active is good because it really does give you more energy - needed when you are so busy having fun that you forget to sleep enough - LOL.

The thing that can make me feel sick on the ship is seeing other people get sick.

We've been home since tuesday from our cruise and the first day I felt kina woozie and dizzy, then the 2nd day it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Totally sick like I was on the high sea and since then it's kinda trailed off. Anyone else come home and feel like this? I used Scop patches but never had this effect before. It was a different brand this time. If it doesn't clear up I'm going to the Dr on tuesday but sheesh, what do I say, "I'm seasick?"
I don't / have not gotten seasick on any of our cruises - including the one with the 24+ foot swells (I'll take some dramamine the first day - just 'cause). I do take a full dose when going on the snorkeling excursions (two pills) because one does not cut it for me.

After every cruise so far I have felt the "earth move under my feet" after leaving the ship. For me it can last from 1 to 7 days!!! Riding Tower of Terror at MGM will give me a couple of hours of relief (by replacing that rocking motion with the up and down (mostly down) one from ToT!!

A month or so ago, I had a virus that gave me the exact same sensation. It's not fair - I need my DCL cruise to feel like that - not some dumb disease!

It's still bothering me. If I turn my head a certain way I get a wave a dizziness. I called the dr and he said to wait a few more days. At least it's not like the first days. But comforting to hear that other people suffer the same thing. I guess we're just 'special.'

Why couldn't I be so special I win the lottery?

We've never gotten seasick, but get "landsick" every time we get home, for a few days after! :rotfl: Had it especially bad after the last cruise. We went scuba diving in St. Thomas and I got a wicked ear infection, so that didn't help matters at all!

So sorry you have been sick. My DH & I were on the same 10 day cruise. I have definitely experienced the swaying back and forth since we've been home, but haven't actually gotten sick. I am the one who always gets sick riding in the backseat of the car, but I surprisingly did very well on the cruise. I took 1 Bonine the first day just to be sure, but never took another one and never experienced any sickness or discomfort during the cruise. Maybe I was just lucky!!

Take it easy - hope you feel better soon!!

This thread concerns me. I was worried about sea sicknesses while I was on the ship (which is why we only booked a 3 night cruise as a trial run) but I didn't even think of the fact that I could still be sick AFTER the cruise.

I suffer from BPPV (a form of vertigo) and deal with dizziness fairly frequently to begin with. I sure hope that 3 days of fun doesn't case me to suffer for weeks afterwards! That sounds like the word's worst hangover. :teeth:

If you experience any type of motion sickness/Car sickness/vertigo I would take something 1 hour before leaving port which I do since I tend to feel quesy. If you take it when you already are queasy it won't work. We just got off of the Magic in November with 20 foot swells on the last sea day.......not good for us motion sick people.

It usually takes me a good week to get my land legs back after I get off the ship. Although I don't get physically ill, I found myself walking into walls at work even falling out of my chair because of the dizziness. My DS4 who was sea sick on our cruise was ill the day after we got off the ship. I think it might have been his body trying to get used to being on land again but there is a chance he had a stomach virus which was rampant the last night of the cruise.

They had kids chewable dramamine that they sold on the ship. That worked really well for my son.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter