~*~ Stick It! A thread for Gymnastics Parents ~*~

I don't think were doing any CT meets, (my dog eat my meet paper lol) lots of MA's ones come up. This weekend is Walkers Bay State Classic near Boston.

Oh well, I just thought that there might be potential for a meet, but I guess not! GL this weekend! She's just practicing this weekend and will be going up to CT on the 15th. She competes on Friday the 16th at 2pm. (I guess they don't think these kids need to be in school. :confused3 )

Make sure you post a meet report!

Hi OceanStateKelly

My daughter is a level 4 here in RI!!! We arn't going to FL. ...too young ...only our level 7 and higher are going to the Sand Dollar.

We are doing the Anchor next weekend @ RIC

Nice to see another RI'er here!

We will be at the Chicago Style meet Feb. 6-8, which is a really big one - anyone else?

We will be at the Chicago Style. DD competes Sun at 1230, level 4. DD is looking forward to it, as her birthday is the next day and I plan to take her to the American Girl Store on Saturday.

Barb

Hi OceanStateKelly

My daughter is a level 4 here in RI!!! We arn't going to FL. ...too young ...only our level 7 and higher are going to the Sand Dollar.

We are doing the Anchor next weekend @ RIC

Nice to see another RI'er here!

Hi Princessesx2,
Nice to hear from ya, fellow Rhody-
We are not doing the Anchor one @ RIC, we have that weekend off, but I think the next weekend is the Boston Classic.
Best of Luck to your daughter At the Anchor Meet.

Our season was over in December, but we are doing a couple competitions (3) because the parents requested it. We had 2 girls move onto team in September and therefore did not compete in the fall, so the parents wanted to let them do a couple competitions to see what it is like I guess.

My oldest (10) a level 4 did good during her first season. She was very consistent and even got a 9.2 on the beam at one competition.

My youngest (8) will be trying out on Thursday to move up to the competition, so any prayers and positive thought would be wonderful. She is so excited & wants to move up so bad. She just barely missed moving up last time, when her sister moved up, so she is feeling pretty good about it.

The meet in Orlando sounds so wonderful, but I do not think that will happen for us. I think the airfare alone would cause most of the parents to go into sticker shock, since we are in CAlifornia....LOL!!!

Anchor Invitational was oky for dd....not the best scores but she did okay. Had fun! First "big" meet for many of our girls and it showed. Hopefully next one is better.

Anchor Invitational was oky for dd....not the best scores but she did okay. Had fun! First "big" meet for many of our girls and it showed. Hopefully next one is better.

Nice to hear she did good, :thumbsup2
My DD had a fall on the back walkover on beam so her AA was kinda low 34.85 but she still took second AA, first on bars (in her age group).

dd has level 4 states on April 4th...ended the regular season on a high...3 9's and a 35.1 AA for the first time.

Does anyone's gym have "extra" practice before States?

No, she'll just do regular practices, but she is there 5 days a week 20 hrs total. If she were a 4 and not doing many hours and there was a certain skill that was getting her everytime, I might consider a private, but usually I don't like to do them (do want to spend more than I already do.)

dd has level 4 states on April 4th...ended the regular season on a high...3 9's and a 35.1 AA for the first time.

Does anyone's gym have "extra" practice before States?

The gym is offering extra hours (about a total of 3.5hrs) for level 4 and 5 girls who made states (no extra charge) I am thinking of letting dd do a bit more as she is struggling w/ part of her bar routine.

Level 4 only practives 6 hrs (3xper week)

Oh, if the gym is offering and it is free, yeah I'd let dd do it - if she wanted to.

It might help her build the confidence she needs on bars.

You lucked out.. :cool1: free gym is hard to come by.

Casey

our offers any week of a meet you can come extra hours. We are already there 4 days, just dont have time for more. Shs is also on the middle school dance team ( that goes to Nationals next week) and the track team. Some how we still fit in 12 hours a week gymnastic for her to do level 7. Once summer is here she will be doing 16-20hours a week.

How has everyones state meets and meet season been going?

We finished our season.
After a long season of injuries, self doubt and total lack of confidence we made it. She only did 3 level 7 meets, started out rough with a 5.65 on bars. But ended the season with a 8.75 and 7th place on bars. and got 9.45 on vault and came in 4th. She is now back in the swing of things and ready to go towards doing level 7 maybe level 8 this fall. It all depends on her bars.
Hope everyone else did great.

Dd had a really solid good season. She was a 1st time level 8. She far exceeded anything that we (including HC) thought that she would do. She ended the season with flipping a pike Yurchenko - the coach never thought that she would be doing such a big vault.

At the States meet she had 2 falls, which basically put her out of contention of qualifying to Regionals. She fell on bars, but still managed to score a 9.05 with a fall (which I thought was pretty darn good.) It was her first event and I told her that there are girls out there doing their routine of a lifetime and still not hitting over a 9. Here she was with a fall and getting above a 9. I do believe that she would have won bars if she didn't fall, but that's how it goes.

She also fell on vault, which landed her in the emergency room - luckily she just ended with a sprained foot. Her first vault was the one scored and she fell to her tush on that one, so she only scored a 8.45.

She placed 6th on beam (9.325) though and had a solid floor routine (9.45), I thought (as did HC) that it was scored a little low, but what can you do. Even with 2 falls her AA was a 36.2.

Her team did take 1st Place for Level 8 and broke the State Record, so she does have a lot to be proud of. It was sad for me though because when she was called up for 6th place, dh had to carry her to the award stand and that was a little sad to see. :sad1:

Dd is now basically back to her ole self though, foot is much better!

She is now working upgrades and hopefully will be moving on to level 9. I do believe that if the rules weren't changing next yr that she would be repeating level 8, but since the skill requirements are changing, I can't see them holding her back from 9. I could be way off base though, so time will tell! :confused3

Nationals is going on 4 blocks from my office - I can see the arena from my window. DD13 and Husband are at the Junior Women's right now. There are so few people that they can just move around and sit whereever. They've not only seen DD's former teammate and coaches, but Marta Karolyi (sp) and Valeri Liukin. Gymnastics heaven!

DDs and I are going to see the senior women tonight.

I would love to be there watching. Especially the jr womens trampoline & tumbling competitions. My daughter competed against two of the girls over the summer (USTA Nationals & AAU Jr Olympics). I'm anxious to see how they score there. I wish juniors was on tv too.

Watching the Sr women was great fun. Nastia is just exquisite - like princess. Sam Peszek (sp?) is fabulous - she didn't compete bars so won't qualify for the AA. The two other WOGA girls are currently at the top. If Rebecca Bross is going to be America's next sweetheart, she needs to up the cuteness factor. Jana Bieger needs to retire. I think she ended up on her bottom on every rotation. It was so cool to see all those great gymnasts and coches in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter