• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Steubenville OH case, anyone hear of this?

I watched part of that today. I might check out the whole thing on the Today website because the vibe I got from the guardians was that they were in denial. He was really a nice boy and all that. And while he "might" have been one of the boys in the picture of the girl being carried by her wrists/ankles that does really tell the whole story. Um, ok.
The picture of the girl being carried, IMO, doesn't give any evidence as toward the rape. It shows a picture of a girl being carried by two guys. You can't tell if she's passed out or just "playing along".

This is NOT to say the boys are innocent. But to look at the picture and say "those two boys raped her" is wrong.

The picture of the girl being carried, IMO, doesn't give any evidence as toward the rape. It shows a picture of a girl being carried by two guys. You can't tell if she's passed out or just "playing along".

This is NOT to say the boys are innocent. But to look at the picture and say "those two boys raped her" is wrong.

But presumably the boys carrying her did know. If you just look at that picture, no you can't tell. But if you look at that picture with the background knowledge that 1) she was unconscious and 2) they weren't taking her to the hospital or to a responsible adult, they were putting her in a car to take to another party, then yes, I think it's clear that the people carrying her were doing something wrong, and knew it at the time.

But presumably the boys carrying her did know. If you just look at that picture, no you can't tell. But if you look at that picture with the background knowledge that 1) she was unconscious and 2) they weren't taking her to the hospital or to a responsible adult, they were putting her in a car to take to another party, then yes, I think it's clear that the people carrying her were doing something wrong, and knew it at the time.
I will agree with that. BUT, that still doesn't mean they raped her. Off the top of my head, I don't know what law would have been broken by transporting a passed out teenager from place to place. Kidnapping?

I will agree with that. BUT, that still doesn't mean they raped her. Off the top of my head, I don't know what law would have been broken by transporting a passed out teenager from place to place. Kidnapping?

I read kidnapping was one of the charges mentioned. Also if you listen to the video the boys carrying her are laughing and saying she is deader than Caylee Anthony, not sure if its the same boys from the picture and the video as there are many. Also there are videos where boys are calling themselves the Rape Crew and saying she must have been dead because she didn't move during sex.

Even if the boys in the picture did not rape her, they knew it was happening and watched it. I do not know how someone could stand by and watch that happening knowing the girl was unconscious. there is no question she was raped, repeatedly.

Yes, you are correct. I don't think I would be on national tv though saying what a good boy the kid was and all that. You can't tell from the picture that a rape had occurred but from witness reports those 2 boys (and you can't see their face in the picture I know) were transporting her from place to place and raping her. Yes, a proud parent moment.

Both my daughter (20) and son (17) have been talking about this horrible act of violence.

It is so sad and what makes it sadder is both of my children said that they could identify students in their schools who they could say would do the same. My children both said it made them sick to their stomach and have been deleting/blocking friends who have been insensitive to the situation. Yes, nice boys to your face, who are so spoiled and priviledged (sp) that their parents/families/friends will support them even if the whole incident is played in front of them. SICK, SICK, SICK!!!

too much alcohol. Nothing good ever happens.

There are allegations that they used the "date rape" drug, which would mean that they likely planned this out, at least to the extent that they sought out the drug, while they were still sober. It's just so horrible. That poor girl.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

It is debated who said that quote, but it is so very true.

There is not a punishment vile enough for this group of teens.

I cannot believe the number of places they took this girl and the number of people that stood by and did NOTHING to stop this. I just cannot even fathom it...

I talk to my kids about "constant vigilance" and being cognizant of your surroundings, making smart choices and not putting yourself in harms way. This poor child was lured by her peers for sport and revenge.

Have actual charges been filed and if so, what are they being charged with? And are the two main suspects involved being charged as juveniles or adults?

Have actual charges been filed ....

Yes,

I posted this on the previous page:

http://steubenvillefacts.squarespace.com/

January 5, 2013
Timeline of the case

by Steubenville Facts

-August 11-12, 2012. The incident that began this case occurred.

-August 14, 2012. The incident was reported to Steubenville Police.

-August 16, 2012. Electronic devices of people who potentially had knowledge of the incident were taken, pursuant to search warrants.

-August 17, 2012. Steubenville Police request technical and investigative support from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation BCI (a state agency supervised by the Ohio Attorney General). At the request of Steubenville Police, BCI expedited the evidence analysis. The analysis involved uncovering and reviewing tens of thousands of emails, texts, and photos from approximately a dozen electronic devices. The vast majority of such data was unrelated to the case. Investigators and forensic examiners never found any video of the alleged crime.

-August 22, 2012. Based on the investigation of the Steubenville Police, two juvenile males were arrested and charged. Their names are Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond. Suspects remained in juvenile detention until November 1, 2012 when the Visiting Judge (from outside the county) assigned to the case placed the suspects on home arrest.

-August 28, 2012. County Prosecuting Attorney delegates her authority to special prosecutors from the Ohio Attorney Generals Office.

-August 30, 2012. Steubenville Police meet with the special prosecutors.

-The Juvenile Court trial in this case is scheduled for February 13, 2013. Circumstances surrounding media and public access to that trial are controlled by the Visiting Judge.

Have actual charges been filed and if so, what are they being charged with? And are the two main suspects involved being charged as juveniles or adults?

Both originally with kidnapping and rape, then kidnapping charges were dropped but they are being tried as juveniles. Trent Mays was also originally charged with sharing a nude photo of the minor girl, that charge as far as I know is still valid. It has been alleged by Local Leaks that the girl's ex boyfriend was also originally charged, but there was a meeting with the Sheriff, the kid's father, and a rich person from the town and mysteriously the charges were dropped. This should not be in juvenile court. Graffiti is an example of a juvenile crime, rape is an adult crime.

Both originally with kidnapping and rape, then kidnapping charges were dropped but they are being tried as juveniles. Trent Mays was also originally charged with sharing a nude photo of the minor girl, that charge as far as I know is still valid. It has been alleged by Local Leaks that the girl's ex boyfriend was also originally charged, but there was a meeting with the Sheriff, the kid's father, and a rich person from the town and mysteriously the charges were dropped. This should not be in juvenile court. Graffiti is an example of a juvenile crime, rape is an adult crime.
I don't think the type of crime is what differentiates between "juvenile" and "adult" court cases.

Thanks! I agree, rape is rape. If you are old enough to commit rape, record it, laugh about it, and refer to it as rape, you should be charged as an adult.

How is nobody talking about Anonymous in all of this? They broke the case wide open and are exposing the corruption within the police force. They have proven that Steubenville Facts site to be completely false from current residents and other students who were at the party. Look up "Local Leaks Steubenville" for the information Anonymous has uncovered- some of it is disturbing so read at your own risk. It shows the nitty gritty of the cover-up.

If you have Twitter, I highly recommend following @KYAnonymous, they're constantly updating as information becomes public. For those without Twitter, you can read the basics here: https://twitter.com/KYAnonymous

I've been following this for months and applaud Anonymous for bringing this to a national level. The FBI and Dept of Justice have announced they will get involved. They held a 2,000 member peaceful protest on Saturday with permission from the victim. I applaud their efforts and hope this brings her justice.

Last word- the girl was both drugged and drunk. She CANNOT give consent under either of these circumstances, so whether or not she "wanted it" doesn't really matter.

Another Ohioian here. This whole situation is absolutely horrible. I cannot begin to imagine sitting there and watching such a crime taking place and nobody trying to help that poor girl. Apparently at least one of the boys has signed to attend Kent State University for their wrestling program. It appears that Kent is carefully monitoring the situation and will possibly revoke their offer as they should. (this is all on Kent's facebook page) I am not 100 percent sure about which lawyer was on television this morning because I didn't see it but the story is out there that OSU is revoking a scholarship of another person who has not been charged with rape, but is obviously in the videos voicing his vile opinions. There was a facebook page out there that this information was on, but I cannot remember the name of it. When I read it last night, nobody was sure if OSU actually revoked the money or if the student withdrew on his own possibly saving the scholarship to come back later once everything has blown over. I have not seen any of this on news, but the links to the facebook pages were posted by the news media.

This is heart breaking and sickening.

Here's an article by a female sports writer at ESPN, What I wish, and what's reality, after Steubenville; http://w.espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8825182/.

It shouldn't be this way, but I think this is good advice for all the daughters in our lives:

If I had a daughter, here is what I would tell her:

• Don't trust easily.

• Never leave any of your friends behind, especially not in the company of someone you don't know.

• Fight back. Always.

• Don't be afraid to call if you're worried or afraid. I don't care where you are. I'll come get you.

• If you feel uncomfortable, it's your intuition. Get out of there.

• You'll probably drink, even if I don't want you to. If you leave your drink somewhere, don't pick it back up. Don't drink excessively just to prove something or fit in. In fact, don't drink excessively period. More often than not, you won't like the decisions you make when you do.

disneyfan007 said:
Another Ohioian here. This whole situation is absolutely horrible. I cannot begin to imagine sitting there and watching such a crime taking place and nobody trying to help that poor girl. Apparently at least one of the boys has signed to attend Kent State University for their wrestling program. It appears that Kent is carefully monitoring the situation and will possibly revoke their offer as they should. (this is all on Kent's facebook page) I am not 100 percent sure about which lawyer was on television this morning because I didn't see it but the story is out there that OSU is revoking a scholarship of another person who has not been charged with rape, but is obviously in the videos voicing his vile opinions. There was a facebook page out there that this information was on, but I cannot remember the name of it. When I read it last night, nobody was sure if OSU actually revoked the money or if the student withdrew on his own possibly saving the scholarship to come back later once everything has blown over. I have not seen any of this on news, but the links to the facebook pages were posted by the news media.

I'm from the same town the victim is sothe news (and rumors) run rampant! The student going to Kent is also the county prosecutor's son, whom recused herself from the case. The student at OSU withdrew himself after several threats were made.

This is heart breaking and sickening.

Here's an article by a female sports writer at ESPN, What I wish, and what's reality, after Steubenville; http://w.espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8825182/.

It shouldn't be this way, but I think this is good advice for all the daughters in our lives:

While I agree with all of those things, in the context of the article it comes very close to blaming the victim. The way I hear it, the girl went with people she knew who likely drugged her. The rules on that list would not, in any way, have protected her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter