Stego's Fall Cycling Thread: come on in...

Stego--wow, thanks again for all the info. The link to the lighting reviews is phenomenal. I did a few searches, but hadn't found anything that detailed. This will definitely help me.

Thanks a lot!

Steve

stego - Thasnk tons for teh performance link! ALready did a little Xmas shopping fro DH! Hope oyu adn your son have a great time tomorrow!!!!

Lots of good info, Stego! Thanks for sharing.

Erika - I just got my road bike in June. I'm learning as well. I still have problems getting in and out of my clipless pedals in heavy traffic or at sudden stops. I actually fell the other night at a sudden stop. Not fun. :sad2: At least I landed in a grassy area so the impact wasn't so bad. Ha! I think I need to loosen the tension on the cleats. My shoe stayed on the pedal but, luckily, my foot was able to get free.

I'm thinking about participating in a bike event next weekend. It's a fairly small event - probably only a few hundred riders vs. a few thousand at the event I particpated in last weekend. I'm thinking about doing the 100K route. I did 50 last weekend with little problem so I'm hoping I can do the 62 mile route. Maybe I'll try for a century next year. Maybe.

road bike pedals:Yup, always fun...that depends on the pedal you choose. Standard shimano spd's don't work for me because of hot spots. So going to the road specific one's require more practice. After years of riding, I still can go down. It doesn't happen often, but it still does.
lighting: Remember now, that there is a premium since the days are getting shorter and winter will soon be here. If the stores can get an extra nickel...
another cycling weekend: wait for it...I had 1st place...for 1/2 mile. That's never happened but it did. Then the guys with the cyclocross bikes came up and hung with them but soon they were gone. At the creek crossing almost ran over someone's back wheel cuz the turn was tight and down he went. Finished 4th of 10 and all was good. Watched the intermediates and maybe one day...my son was out there with our group and after I finished I watched him. He had a bad case of the sore loser syndrome and that doesn't escape most 13yo's so I am not alone. He finished and took the only junior spot so we came back and he scored some goodies. Another cyclist came over and gave him a good pep talk and it seemed to work. Went to Frankenbike and it's the same crowd and stood in the heat for 1 1/2 hours but only sold 2 things so off to performance for the teen. At the expo we got to ride with lots of kids since it was NATIONAL TAKE A KID BIKING DAY and so as usual my son led the rabbits and I got to learn patience with the slower kids. They come in all shapes and sizes and basically all the kids just want to do is just ride in the woods. They don't want a lecture from adults: I understand the Charlie Brown/adult trumpet thing now. I got the jonesing for a new cyclocross bike now but have to sell my tri bike to get one for my son first. THEN I can look...
Lake Bryan is next Sunday AM and our first fall series MTB race. We get to ride out with the Aggies and all is good...

Sounds like you had a great weekend Stego.

I use the Shimano SPDs and found the work great for me. I have taken one fall but the nasty fall I took in May was with toe straps. DH used those since his teens but just not good for me. Once I swapped to the SPDs no prob. One fall but I had already come to a stop and just couldn't get it loose in time. Embarrassing but no injury. DH has now switched to the cleats and I do love that I can still get into/out of them faster. That's about all I can do faster than him so I'll take it!

Susie - let us know what you decide on the event. Around here we're pretty much done for the season by way of events.

I use the Look Keo brand cleats/pedals. I like having the float that they allow.

I've been clipping in and out for three years, and I STILL have moments where I go down on the ground clipped in. It usually happens when you have to come to a sudden stop or change of balance that you weren't expecting. Embarassing, but usually not too painful or damaging (unless you count damaging the ego :) ).

Steve

Visiting the sites and this popped up over at bike portland. Scanned on over to the local elementary and they ARE participating. Saw lots of parents dropping their kids off...and the local crossing guard directing traffic: Cop sitting there not enforcing. It's frustrating to see "the rules don't apply" becoming prevalent. I swear riding the bike on each Friday is my sanity...
My SIL and her kids are SUPPOSEDLY flying in Saturday for a short visit and so pre-ride @Lake Bryan is out: it's not all about me. So Saturday I'll be roped into BIL/Uncle duty and stomping around with the day tourists at Fredericksburg and then hiking up Enchanted Rock.

over the weekend. Some clouds, but they burned off pretty quickly. SIL and nieces came in and all was good. No pre-ride on Saturday but I've done the course 3 times and I'm familiar with it: ie; no surprises. Had a few drops and logs but that is what the front fork is for. Got to the race site on time, and warmed up pretty well. Got called up last at the start so did not have a good position; I'd say about 30 guys. Off the start swung wide right to avoid collision and could not catch the front runners before super tight single track. It stacked pretty quickly but soon had the long run up on the dam so I could catch up but it played out pretty quickly. Came through the feed and one guy who'd been on my tail caught me and took off. Caught some more in the woods and they stacked up behind me so I took off. Finished 12th out of 30 in my first fall race and it's all good. My son went up against 10 other kids and pulled out a 6th place finish. He came in with a really bad attitude (sore loser syndrome) and so I let him be. He was ready to go, as were all the girls, so we packed up and went home. They all seemed to enjoy the experience and that was important. Afterawhile, my son came around a bit but he wasn't talking much so we just let it go. He's at the age where he has to challenge himself and be a bit more responsible for how he races so the road might be a little rough ahead. Ruston is in 2 weeks and we're headed out a day early next Friday for a time trial race on that Saturday. I got my tri bike sold and we told our son we are buying him a new cyclocross bike. He didn't seem that excited but then again: sullen teen. Go figure. I've put up my Roubaix to get a cyclocross bike myself but one thing at a time.

Trainer question: First, are trainers that much beter than stationary? I think it's a dumb question, but don't understand why they are that much better.

So, what do you look for in a trianer. Prices go from $80 to $400 (or maybe more). What's the deal.

FInally got out again on teh bikes for a quick ride yesterday. Boy have I missed tehm.

I've had one for two years, and to tell you the truth, I hate it. For me, it is strictly a tool. There are a few odd days here in central TX where the weather is just not fit but that does not happen often. I use it 90% of the time to warm up for my mountain bike race: and there you have it: portability. The legs fold up, and with the front wheel stand it works. If you are looking for a beginner trainer, I would recommed the Ascent which is 90 clams right now at Performance. If you can buy one locally, I would do that as they can be expensive to ship. Check out your local craig's list as that is how I sold mine. I upped to a cycleops fluid because it is much more quiet and that was my motivation. I got it on supersale at Performance for 200 clams. There are many different trainers so just shop around. I do have a little stand to put my front wheel on so it raises the front of the bike even. If I do have to spin, I get my ipod and do that. I am easily bored but not everyone is like that so it depends on the individual.

Carrie - you and I have the same winter weather issues making it impossible at times to ride outside. I bought a stationary last fall and hate it. Uncomfortable, far too upright vs my bike, general pain. Mind you we did not buy an expensive one since we had a feeling that might happen. On the trainer it's my bike, my gearing, etc. To me, far more enjoyable. I do toss in a movie or tv show while pedaling indoors as it can get just as boring as the TM.

Trainer cost us $150 at Performance (we have one locally). Needed something capable of two of us putting in miles everyday. May wind up with getting the Performance Ascent as a 2nd one for Christmas to avoid the who-gets-to-go-first thing.

Carrie - Lynne has had to do alot of her early season tri training on a trainer. She would put in a 3 hour movie, turn on the ceiling fan and go. Using a trainer has the advantages Liz said for set up and being comfortable. Stationary bikes are not set up for alot of spinning. You can never get the seat height adjusted properly.

I got out yesterday and put 17 miles on my bike. May try to get in another 10 tonight. Won't have many more nice days or daylight at 6 so have to take advantage of them.

Hi all!

stego - Congrats on your successful weekend. For me, any race I complete is a successful race. Ha! Sounds like you had a good time. By the way, I have a Ruby bike and I love it so far. I also have a comfort bike that I use on the mountain bike trails but I know it's not the same as a mountain bike. Maybe someday I'll get one. *sigh*

Liz - once you get your second trainer, you and your DH can then race each other on them. Ha! Speaking of trainers....someone told me that they are hard on your tires. I'm sure with the weather you guys have, you don't have much of a choice if you want to continue to train. But, when spring comes and you are ready to get out, do you put new tires on your bike? Just curious, I'm thinking about getting a trainer and just want to know the pros and cons.

Steve - I have the Shimano cleats. I like them OK but I have a little problem getting out of them at times. The owner of the bike shop I frequent told me that the Look cleats were easier to get in and out of. Seems that Liz can master the Shimanos just fine so I'm sure it's that I'm a little uncoordinated at times. :laughing:

Kathy - good to hear from you. Unfortunately, the daylight is getting shorter and shorter. We don't have too many more days of riding in the evenings. :(

The following is a copy of what I wrote in my team report regarding my ride this past weekend:

Well, my goal was not met this past weekend. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I was supposed to ride 63 miles in a small cycling event. I thought the course was supposed to be relatively flat with some rolling hills...or so I was told. The event I participated in a couple of weeks ago was somewhat hilly and I did 50 miles just fine so I thought I could do 63 this weekend. What I wasn't prepared was the number of rolling hills (some of them quite large) and THE HILL that just about killed me around mile 20.

I should have known it was going to be a killer when I saw some folks walking up it instead of riding up it as I approached it. If I could have gotten out of my cleats halfway up it without falling, I would have. However, I clinched my teeth, bared down on those pedals and gave it all I had. I made it to the top but it took every ounce of energy I had. By the time I got to the 30 mile marker, I had to decide whether to go the 63 mile route or the 50. Knowing there were more rolling hills, although not a large as THE HILL, I opted for the 50. I just ran out of energy early on and I was afraid that the extra 13 miles would be a little too much. Steve could have handled the 63 miler just fine but he chose to stick with me to make sure I was OK. In reality, I think he was secretly relieved I wanted to go the shorter distance. :teeth:

Bottom line, I just wasn't prepared for the challenge. I'm glad I did the event, though, and I conquered THE HILL but I doubt I'll do it next year. There are several other biking events I'd rather concentrate on. Oh, I do need to mention....going down the hills were lots of fun! Wheeeeeeeeee!

One of the biking events I want to do next year is called the Hotter 'N Hell 100. It's in Wichita Falls, TX. Stego, are you familiar with this event? I know you aren't into road bikes any more but still thought that you might be familiar with it. Anyway, there were ~ 12,000 participants last year and probably close to the same this year, if not larger. It really is a fun event, GREAT expo and GREAT rest stops. I especially loved riding through Shepard Air Force base. Just thought I would mention it for those of you that like to participate in such events.

Hi! I lost this thread, I should subscribe to it! Anyway, in answer to some of the questions here:

Lights - I have used NightRider for about 10 years, I still have my original, and it is still working, though the cable sometimes has to be wiggled, guess there is a break in it. I also had to resolder a connection inside, but after 7 years I guess that is pretty good. I have two NightRiders, a 10W and a 15W. For my commuting I use either one, but usually the 15W is the one mounted n my helmet. I use both with the 10W mounted on the bar when I go MTB'ing. Lately I have just had the 10W mounted on the bar for commuting, I have a route that sees not many cars. I have a 5 LED flashing tail light that is from Performance. I also use a cateye LED headlight when I ride in the city, in flashing mode so I am seen by cars, other bikers and pedestrians. Oh, and the NightRiders are rechargable, one has the water bottle pack, and the other is the small cordura bag that I put in my camelback. I bought one at a bike shop, around $125,the other I got from Performance on sale for a little less. And I also wear an Iluminite vest during my commute.

Tights - Both pair of tights I got from Performance. One is a standard weight and I use that up until it gets to the 30's. For when it gets colder, I have a Perforance Winstopper, I think it was called, a little heavier, and the front half is heavier with some material that blocks the wind. I have had them for probably 5 years now, and they still are holding up. Maybe I am just adadptable to the cold, but all I wear is a T shirt, turtleneck, and windbreaker, I had a Pearl Izumi but the zipper gave out, and now I have a Performance jacket. Yes, it is not as cold as Chicago, but once in a while it gets to single digits in the morning. That is when the mittens go on. And an ear band. I have never used any type of head warmer or skull cap or balaclave. I do have a beard which helps I guess.

One other thing, I use Egg Beater pedals on all three of my bikes. I guess the only reason is I can use the same shoe for everything.

Glad I found this thread again, to tell the truth I sort of forgot about it.

Augie

Didn't make it out for a bike ride last night. The route I ride is tree lined and with it being overcast, it was darker than I care to ride.

I use the Speed Play Light Action pedal. Tried the regular speed play pedals but they had too much wobble

escape: here is a link: http://www.theracingpost.us/
Check it out, it's all about the cycling scene in TX. It is mostly road bike, with a blurb on MTB, and a Junior spotlight. The October (current one) has lots of info on the HH. I have heard it is heavily attended, and that it is a ride. They do have races as part of the event, including MTB. It's way up in Wichita Falls, and so at this point I have to be more selective of how far we travel for a race venue. That's why we picked Ruston, LA instead of Palo Duro. Both my wife and son voted for this one again and so I was in the minority.
Called the bike shop and got the final price for our son's new cyclocross bike. I've craiglisted my Roubaix to sell, but will probably e-bay today. I'm going to call the bike shop back tomorrow and put down some money so they can order it and get the ball rolling. Looks like we'll pick it up the weekend of Nov. 1st and get him going. BSS has a fall sale this weekend so when I go run down at Town Lake Sat. I'm going to check it out. The outlaw trail bike ride is this Sat. so my wife and son are going to do the 25 mile ride.

with lowballers? Listed the Roubaix on craig's list and had 2 good bites. Both guys came out and lowballed me $100-150. I hate the fees on e-bay but get much more traffic. Anyhow, the bike has been bid on and so the auction will close in the next day or so. I pulled the trigger and won an auction on a used cyclocross bike. I should be getting it at the end of the week. We are waiting for our son's new cyclocross bike to come in and it should be ready next week. Here in central TX everyone got a good dose of whatever latest allergy is going around and it got me good: body aches & sore throat. Pulled something in my lower back and I've been having fun with that. But that didn't stop me from going down to town lake and running 7 1/2. The temp's really came down and it was quite comfortable. Then over to BSS for their garage sale and wisely put away the plastic. My wife and son did the Outlaw trail ride and completed 25 miles in about 2 hours Sat. morning. I took our son out to the 'nut Sun AM and Yeti & Trek had demo bikes going on. Mellow Johnny's had a tent set up for some vittles but weren't cooking yet. Got on the MTB but didn't hit it hard: probably about 50-75%. We're headed out to Ruston, LA Fri afternoon. They have a time trial and short track on Sat, and the XC race on Sun.

Yeah, that was fun. Not. Spiking temp's and took off from work Tues & Wed and got some antibiotics after seeing the doc. So much for quality training time on the bike. Went out to Ruston and I'm back in the office this Mon AM. We've had a cold front come in and the wind has picked up. Couldn't have asked for nicer weather in Ruston. Spent 8 hours in the car driving out and it's like I transform into the "Beast". Took way longer than I expected but I forget how long it takes to get out of TX. Went out to the venue Sat AM and did short track at 1030am: 15 min + 1 lap. Took off and going into my 2nd lap my 13yo son passes me...what the???? and he's not even breathing hard. Me? I sound like a train in the woods, chugging along. Eventually he came back and I held off two guys to nail 5th out of 12. Then 330 rolls around and the time trial for everyone is set. They call each one up in 30 second intervals and then I am up. I get passed about 1/2 way in: it's a 3.2 mile lap and I do my best. I'm not fast by any means and the results are in: 15th in my AG. Sunday AM rolls around and our son's race is early. Some ringers come up and he gets that look: last year the local kids came out and he stomped them: he wanted 1st handed to him again. Gazing at the line-up I see a 9yo with the 14yo's and he looks tiny among them. They go off and our son is holding 5th. He decides to create some drama and starts a bad version of coughing. My wife calls him on it and she gets the usual response. They eventually go out deep in the woods and I go off to see them finish on the big hills. Lo and behold the 9yo has moved up to 2nd and he has thrown down. Our son held on to 5th and he comes in with what has lately been a bad rash of "sore loser syndrome". I've been beating myself senseless in trying to figure out what I am doing wrong as a parent and my wife tells me it is all him. It makes me sick to my stomach to see this "sense of entitlement" attitude that drips off of him and there is absolutely nothing I can do. I try not to be distracted in warming up but going to the line I am apprehensive. There's a good group of men there and they are all itching to go. I get a good start but rightly decide not to burn all my matches and settle in. I get passed by quite a few but stay steady. After the 1st lap it's pretty much settled but some guys come up and I struggle to keep them off. There is nothing in the tank and I can tell there is something wrong: I have no excuses and I am sure countless of others race when they are sick too. Some local guy passes me on a hill but the big hill comes up and he is in my sight: he looks back at the last turn and speeds up and I just can't catch him. Frustrated, tired, aching, sick, soaked in mud and sweat I jump off my bike and I'm hopping up and down at the car to run over to the shower because we have a 7 hour drive back home and my son and wife can't move fast enough. Yup, you guessed it: the "Beast" returns in the car and I struggle to keep my big fat mouth shut. I hate doing so badly but what was important to me is to be able to compete and give it my best. I don't want to relapse and get sick again so I'm going to take it easy...

stego - SO sorry things didn't go well fgor you. I ran a half with a sinus infection (just though ti was allergies or a lisght colld). It was awful. Darn near thought I would die. 4 weeks later, I PR'd big time. I'm sure it was beign sick thatgot you. SO sorry about ds's attitude. WIth you adn your wife both being concerned, though, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

Traniner - Well, I missed teh rest of teh trainer posts when life took over. lol. Soctt did the stationery last weekend and ranted about how awful it was. Guess we need to put the trianer back onteh list I'd like to go to REI so we could actually try them first, but that takes a weekend at my parents, with about 3 spare hours. Not gonna' hapen (unless we wait until teh leave fro FL)

Susie - OMG, what a ride. You got in 50 adn that's AWESOME! I have heard about teh race you speak of. Made my eyes dor this. :eek: Not goinna' happen for this heat-intolerant girl. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter