Steamboad Willy trivia

JustinD

Earning My Ears
We have always been under the impression that Steamboat Willy was "born" or "released" or something on Sep 19, 1928. Indeed there seems to be some information on the internet that looks this way. But now I hear it is Nov 18, 1928 and Mickey celebrates his birthday on Nov 18.

Can someone enlighten me and straighten this out? What is the significance of these two days in the life of Mickey?

the November date sounds right to me. I've been going with that date since before the internet was common, so I must have read it in a book on Disney history.

Last edited:
Disney uses the official opening premiere/release date of November 18, 1928.

The first exhibition screening was Sept, 19, 1928, it was probably screened a few more times between then and November. Mickey's first exhibition screening was "Plane Crazy" on May 15, 1928; it tested poorly. Steamboat Willie was the third Mickey short made, but the first to secure a distributor, the first with synchronized sound, and the first released (after the success of "Steamboat Willie", "Plane Crazy" and "The Galloping Gaucho" were remade for sound and released).

On many of these things there is the real history and the corporate narrative. The latter, which is a key part of brand identity, sometimes ... changes.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter