Steak?

In many cases, it's like $10-$12 an ounce, but you don't necessarily eat a "whole steak" as much as a few slices. It's such a rich beef that you wouldn't really want to eat a 16oz. portion of it.
It really depends. Some are served raw like carpaccio, but many of the prime cuts are at least seared, if not cooked like a traditional steak. I don’t believe that they’re supposed to be cooked for very long.

I'm not buying and eating anything that looks so gross, even if it was free.

Sort of like those Japanese tunas for sushi that cost $3000 or more per fish.

Thank you all for the laughs this morning and input overall. Saw the A5 Waygu/Kobe when browsing steakhouse menus and was curious if it was worth it. Seems to be the consensus is that it's not worth it.
It would probably depend on the cut. Strip and rib steak are probably the most logical cuts to order/buy because we're used to having some marbling there. Burgers and dogs are simply gimmick. And why would you want a fatty tenderloin?

Some shops close to me do sliced A5 chuck for hot pot and I am tempted to try that out. Might be best bang for the buck, relatively speaking.

With that said, we have butchers that sell nice cuts of local beef, and I probably lean more towards buying that for grilling.

How much is it in a restaurant? I probably wouldn’t pay more than $50 for a restaurant steak.
Depends on the restaurant. The Japanese A5 Waygu/Kobe was $70 per ounce minimum 4 ounces. Some restaurants were straight $300 for 4 ounces and $75 each for additional ounce. They lowest I saw was $50 per ounce minimum 4 ounces so $200 if you just get 4 ounces. Then a few restaurants have the American Waygu Ribeye 24 ounces for $135 or New York Strip 20 ounces for $125. Tomahawk 36 ounces ranges between $89-$150.

It really depends. Some are served raw like carpaccio, but many of the prime cuts are at least seared, if not cooked like a traditional steak. I don’t believe that they’re supposed to be cooked for very long.
Yeah the raw carpaccio like an appetizer was $40-$70. We won't try raw beef anything.

Depends on the restaurant. The Japanese A5 Waygu/Kobe was $70 per ounce minimum 4 ounces. Some restaurants were straight $300 for 4 ounces and $75 each for additional ounce. They lowest I saw was $50 per ounce minimum 4 ounces so $200 if you just get 4 ounces. Then a few restaurants have the American Waygu Ribeye 24 ounces for $135 or New York Strip 20 ounces for $125. Tomahawk 36 ounces ranges between $89-$150.

I haven't tried it, but I remember looking up a menu for Michael Mina's Bourbon Steak when we were thinking of doing a company team building event. Their original location in San Francisco is closed. Not sure about the one in Silicon Valley - if it's still open. But I found this menu for their LA location. Their Japanese Wagyu is from Kagoshima and has either set prices or is $42/oz for striploin (I believe that's NY strip). They also have some Australian raised version.

download

I haven't had waygu, but my husband has and he enjoyed it immensely. We've ordered the waygu from Costco and he thought it was delicious. I'll take his word for it since I don't eat meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter