• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Steak, steak or steak? I can't eat steak the entire trip, or can I????

Joy70

Mouseketeer
After looking over our reservations and menus for our upcoming trip (17 days and counting!) I've realized that most of the meals that sounded the best to me, and provided the most value for the DDP, were the steak choices. I love a good steak as much as the next person, but I don't know if I can eat it at every meal. I'd love to hear your opinions on which of the following offered the best steak, and if there was another choice you liked better than their steak offering. (Please no seafood choices!)

My ADR's include: Mama Melrose at HS, Chefs De France at Epcot, Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL, and Be Our Guest at MK.

Thanks for the feedback!

...and that is one of the pitfalls of the Dining Plan. As soon as one goes hunting for "value", choices and preferences get tossed to the curb and monotony can set it. If you get tired of "red meat overload" one day and simply want a Caesar Salad and a bowl of Onion Soup for dinner, BOOM! you shoot the value of the Dining Plan out of the sky to the point where it is really, really hard to recover. One day of "light eating", or dessert skipping, or of cheaper entree choosing and you wipe out the value of the plan. Another problem with the Dining Plan is that if you really enjoy steak or other high end proteins, you will find the better ones at restaurants that do not take the Dining Plan. So in addition to eating steak every day, you find yourself eating mediocre steak every day.

...and that is one of the pitfalls of the Dining Plan. As soon as one goes hunting for "value", choices and preferences get tossed to the curb and monotony can set it. If you get tired of "red meat overload" one day and simply want a Caesar Salad and a bowl of Onion Soup for dinner, BOOM! you shoot the value of the Dining Plan out of the sky to the point where it is really, really hard to recover. One day of "light eating", or dessert skipping, or of cheaper entree choosing and you wipe out the value of the plan. Another problem with the Dining Plan is that if you really enjoy steak or other high end proteins, you will find the better ones at restaurants that do not take the Dining Plan. So in addition to eating steak every day, you find yourself eating mediocre steak every day.
Yes, to be honest I really wasn't that gung-ho about taking the DP this trip (especially with a 10 yr old who will now be considered an "adult") but my DH likes to have it knowing that everything is already paid for up front. And since we do have it, I'd like to try and get my money's worth! :)

LOL! WE tend to order steak a lot. My DD and DDIL order teh chicken and pork or pasta options (or flatbread at MM, which almost made me shriek to my adult DD. Are you kidding???????????? That's the cheapest option!!!!!! But I ordered a glass of wine and contained myself. LOL!!!

HOnestly, once you get to any given restaurant, you will get feedback from your server to help you choose the meal you like the best. I like the steak at MM. It is delicious, as is the Steak choice at San Angel Inn.

I remember not liking the steak at BOG, but that was several years ago when it first opened, so maybe I was there while they were working the kinks out.

One thing I caution you about: I know that the DDP is not always a value, but remember that once you get there, if you want a less expensive option, toss that maximize thing out the window and order what you want. No meal is a value if you do not enjoy it.

One thing I caution you about: I know that the DDP is not always a value, but remember that once you get there, if you want a less expensive option, toss that maximize thing out the window and order what you want. No meal is a value if you do not enjoy it.
Exactly! A nice dinner with the family should never turn into an accounting exercise. Eat what you love. Love what you eat. If the goal is to have everything prepaid, then consider the mission accomplished irrespective of what is ordered. At the end of the vacation, if anyone complains that "value" was not achieved, then you know that for your next trip, you will have to choose between the goal of pre-paying and the goal of enjoying all of your meals.

Yes, to be honest I really wasn't that gung-ho about taking the DP this trip (especially with a 10 yr old who will now be considered an "adult") but my DH likes to have it knowing that everything is already paid for up front. And since we do have it, I'd like to try and get my money's worth! :)

I do NOT order the most expensive item on the menu to "get my money's worth". I order what appeals to me at that moment. We get the DDP because it mimics our style of eating and like your DH we like having it prepaid. I don't count every penny like that. I have kept track and we usually break even or even come out a bit ahead. Either way it doesn't matter.
That is enjoying my vacation.

Exactly! A nice dinner with the family should never turn into an accounting exercise. Eat what you love. Love what you eat. If the goal is to have everything prepaid, then consider the mission accomplished irrespective of what is ordered. At the end of the vacation, if anyone complains that "value" was not achieved, then you know that for your next trip, you will have to choose between the goal of pre-paying and the goal of enjoying all of your meals.

That is how I look at it, at least most of the time. That Flatbread is still on my mind, obviously! LOL!

Remembe that DDP that allowed appetizer, entree, dessert and tip for the TS meal? Well that year while I was plannign our trip we were renovating the house, and I was the caregiver for my young DGD. SHe was actually the Eason the whole group of us was traipsing to WDW. Anyway, we decided on the DDP, it was a no brainer at like $39 a day, and as soon as I put Kady to bed for her nap, there I was, online studying menus like they were going to be my finals in school! I could not o anything really constructive int eh house so it was all boats in when it came to trip planning and I was going to max that plan! I had every steakhouse on our tentative plan, no matter how much we had to criss cross all od WDW!

Thank goodness someone on the DIS stomped on me before I dragged my family on the culinary journey fom HE!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! Dining on any vacation is supposed to enhance the experience. DO not approach it like it is your job! Make adjustments if the meal is not what you want at the time. ANd while I am at it....if the only ADR you can secure for 'Ohana is at 9:55 and your kids are used to eating at 5:00, and in bed at 8 PM, book anything else. It is a restaurant. You do not need to make a pilgrimage there. It will be there next time.

I do NOT order the most expensive item on the menu to "get my money's worth". I order what appeals to me at that moment. We get the DDP because it mimics our style of eating and like your DH we like having it prepaid. I don't count every penny like that. I have kept track and we usually break even or even come out a bit ahead. Either way it doesn't matter.
That is enjoying my vacation.
It sure is easy to get into that mind set though. I know I obsess ove that silly flatbread, but we had the DxDDP and my DD was ordering a flatbread for her entree. Now that woman is an accountant and she runs the books for a global company. All I could think was "we are losing money!!!!!" But she wanted flatbread. SHe knew she dipped the "value" but she knew what she wanted. AND that is really what vacationing is is.

So, I am a staff accountant at the same fix, and I can crunch numbers with her! So I soothed my old round it out brain with wine. Disney always wins! LOL!

All debating over the DDP aside, does anyone have a best steak recommendation for me? :P LOL I mean I do plan on ordering other things some nights, but I actually do really love steak and know I will order it for at least one of the meals at the restaurants I listed above, so I'd like to hear what others think was the best one.
:thanks:

All debating over the DDP aside, does anyone have a best steak recommendation for me? :P LOL I mean I do plan on ordering other things some nights, but I actually do really love steak and know I will order it for at least one of the meals at the restaurants I listed above, so I'd like to hear what others think was the best one.
:thanks:
Mama Melrose. THat wood grilled steak is one of my favorite choices.

Make sure you do not order it after going to Narcoossess. My DDIL ordered the filet there on Thursday night and then Friday afternoon ordered the steals at MM. SHe was let down. (I was not)

I have not eaten at Chefs, so I cannot commet

I had the steak at BOG last year and it was the best meal of the trip for me! Cooked exactly the way I like. Really was delicious.

Well to answer the title posted by the OP........YEP, I can eat steak every day of vacation but that isn't really what she wanted to know LOL! I don't eat fish/seafood and although I love chicken, I can eat that at home (and I do in some form almost every day at least once) but when I am on vacation steak is my go to meal simply because I rarely cook beef at all, and I sure don't cook steak at home - I want someone to cook it for me and serve it too me and so far...........the cat hasn't learned how to do that!

The steak at MM is one of the best we have had anywhere including signature places. It comes with this amazing mac & cheese.

I really enjoyed the beef at Chefs de France a few months ago. It was prepared exactly as I requested. I had the chicken parm at MM, and it was our worst meal of the trip. I had the pork chop at BOG, and it was OK.

It's still a lot of MEAT but the all you can eat skillet at Whispering Canyon is also a good deal on the dining plan and looks good (I have not had it in over 10 years).

At chefs de france the steak looks like the best thing on the menu if you won't eat seafood.

At BoG the braised pork (also available on the lunch menu) gets consistently high marks.

At mama melrose i'd order the saltimbocca or the penne vodka with chicken if I was not in the mood for steak.

I never eat beef at home really so I tend to order it a lot when out. the first to go on your list would be whispering canyon for me since it's not really their signature. Second would be BoG. I'd probably keep chefs and mama melrose (two different cuts). jhmo :)

if you get a rush from maximizing value then go for it!

does anyone have a best steak recommendation for me?
At TS 1 credit restaurants, I have really enjoyed the steak at:
1) Kona Cafe at the Poly - consistently tasty strip
2) Sanaa - higher quality strip than the others, but the butter knob served on the top was quite spicy last Fall, so I would ask for it to be on the side
3) San Angel - carne asada (strip)

Always love me some steak! :thumbsup2

For those of you who like that "pre paid" feeling, but see that the DDP is no longer a value for your family, considering buying Disney gift cards as you plan your trip. I try to purchase at least one gift card a month.

There are sometimes deals to be had on these cards at warehouse stores like Sam's Club ($150 for $142). Others have worked their Target Red Cards to save on gift cards (see the budget board for details).

Debate on value aside, to answer the original question... I would recommend the skillet at Whispering Canyon, you get a little bit (or alot, they will bring more out) of everything and it also happens to be a good value on the dining plan.

I had the penne alla vodka at Mama Melrose and it was pretty good. I've never tried their steak.

My BOG steak was awful one time and decent the 2nd time.

The only comment I will make on getting value from the plan is to not worry about counting every dime, just order what you like and want to eat at the time. You stated that one of the things you like about the plan is having it prepaid, so just enjoy the fact that it is prepaid and don't look back.

And here we have proof.. why you don't want the DDP. Instead of eating what you want you are eating to "make it worth it" LOL! I once saw a mother force her kids to eat steak because "that's the only way eat enough to make this plan worthwhile" Just sad!

(And maybe OP should explain to her DH that overpaying is hardly a good way to go. LOL! )

For those of you who like that "pre paid" feeling, but see that the DDP is no longer a value for your family, considering buying Disney gift cards as you plan your trip. I try to purchase at least one gift card a month.

There are sometimes deals to be had on these cards at warehouse stores like Sam's Club ($150 for $142). Others have worked their Target Red Cards to save on gift cards (see the budget board for details).

My DH eats steak every meal and his favorite places are BD, Yachtsman and Le Cellier. His least favorites were BOG, MM and Le Chef's (he now orders the chicken there). There is a big leap in quality between 1TS and 2TS places.

We buy the above gift card mentioned above, they are pre-paid, save money and give us complete control to order what we want and when we want. By the end of the trip we are really full and can find ourselves just ordering apps or salads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter