Staying on property... to get a rental car or not.

rental Car or busses

• Total voters

Coreyjohnson2007

Mouseketeer
hi, I will be staying at AofA for 6 days in 01/17. We won't be leaving Disney property all week but debating if we should get a rental car or not for convenience (time waiting for busses) or just use the busses... What have you done in the past?

Our group is 2 58yr olds, 2 32yr olds and a 3yr old.

A rental car costs more. Disney buses are free. If you have no reason to leave the property, then, IMO, I'd just take the buses.

I've been to WDW many times and stayed at many different resorts, and I have never rented a car. The buses are way too convenient, not to mention that they are free! I wouldn't be bothered with renting a car.

If you eat at many different resorts I would rent a car. We have 5 ADR's at resorts and take mid day breaks. I don't want to waste a bunch of travel time so this trip we did a car.

Obviously it's mostly personal preference, but we rent a car because we don't like being at the mercy of the buses (having to wait), also don't like being on crowded buses. To me there just seems to be more "freedom" with a rental car (although we don't leave the property either), and last trip we got one for under $200 for the week.

After several solo trips using only Disney transportation, my husband finally came with me. We rented a car for the week. We've take three week-long trips since with no rental car. All stays were at Pop Century. Quite happy with Disney transportation.

The last visit included three days that we went to a conference at the Orange County Convention Center and met friends for dinner in Celebration. For these trips, we used Uber. Cost was less than a rental car. We also used Uber for a meal at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

So, my suggestion is to combine Disney transportation and Uber.

I can totes see that having a vehicle down there would be quite convenient. Things to think about: are you staying at a resort thst has more than one bus stop and you end up staying close to one of the last pick ups. Bus may be full or you may be standing. Do you have any dining plans at other resorts. Do you go to disney sorings at off times. I was at dis springs on sat and waited for over 1/2 an hour for a bus from 3:30-4. Insane!

Personally, I may not spend the money on a rental, but I would totally download Uber and learn how to use it if you don't already. Waited for 45 mins on Mon for a bus to HS (was at saratoga springs last stop at 8:1). 2 full buses came by and then decided to uber it. $8 and we were there. Worth it to me.

I can totes see that having a vehicle down there would be quite convenient. Things to think about: are you staying at a resort thst has more than one bus stop and you end up staying close to one of the last pick ups. Bus may be full or you may be standing. Do you have any dining plans at other resorts. Do you go to disney sorings at off times. I was at dis springs on sat and waited for over 1/2 an hour for a bus from 3:30-4. Insane!

Personally, I may not spend the money on a rental, but I would totally download Uber and learn how to use it if you don't already. Waited for 45 mins on Mon for a bus to HS (was at saratoga springs last stop at 8:1). 2 full buses came by and then decided to uber it. $8 and we were there. Worth it to me.

Can't really do uber due to a car seat for the 3yr old...

Our first few trips we used Disney transportation and thought renting would be a waste of money. Then we went one year and had reward points for a free car rental and thought we'd try it. Now we will not go without renting a car! Has saved us lots of time- especially at the end of a long day. The benefit of being able to park right outside your room was so nice- especially with tired little ones- instead of having a longer walk from the bus stop. If we hadn't gotten it for free we probably never would've tried it and continued to use free transportation and been happy enough, but now that we've learned the convenience of having a car we won't go back to the buses!

Will you park hop or visit other resorts or Disney Springs during a single day? We find using a car to be more time consuming than the Disney boats, buses and monorails. Exiting a park, walking or taking shuttle to car, driving to another park, another shuttle to the gates etc. took longer than Disney transportation.

We've found Disney transportation generally good. Occasionally there are somewhat long waits, especially at park close from MK or EP but even then we've never waited more than 30 minutes for a bus on such nights and 90% of the time its 10 minutes or less. We also enjoy taking the boat from DS to EP or Disney Springs to Port Orleans for lunch.

I value my time at a premium cost. Hence, I always rent a car if my budget allows. There's no debate that driving is the fastest way to get around property. You are on your schedule, not that of a bus with no rigid timetable, and you're not beholden to the routes Disney has prescribed. Especially staying at Art of Animation, I'd rent a car without much internal debate.

I think you will be fine without a car, but if you decide to get one, there is a car care center near MK where you can rent, another at the Swan or Dolphin resort near Epcot, and a few at Disney Springs area hotels. This will save money vs. renting from the airport which is more expensive, since you will have DME to transporting you to and from the resort at no extra cost. This is also helpful if you decide you want to rent a car while you are there. You can also check Mousesavers.com for rental car coupon codes for various companies, and the transportation board on here has a thread on the locations/companies that rent on property. For some, it is just the convenience factor of having the car to be able to come and go when they want to, not have to wait for bus, and possibly stand on a more crowded bus. But we have generally found bus service good, and buses do drop you right at the park entrance, which is nice, instead of walking from the lot/taking a shuttle to get to the gates. If we can avoid extra costs, it helps make more vacations possible! You are also going at a slower time of yr., which should help. If this is your first trip, it will be hard to know till you try it. You probably want to request a room that will be close to the bus stop for a shorter walk, especially coming home at night when legs are tired! When we stayed at POP last yr., we payed a little extra for preferred room, to be able to request one closer to the front where the buses come, as well as he food court. You can check out the AoA thread on the resort board(if you haven't already), where they should have a map and info. on what areas are going to be close to bus stop, pool, etc. and you can ask others who have stayed there questions.

I drive down, park my car and never get in it again until I leave. I've been here since Monday, stayed at CSR Monday and Tuesday nights then moved over to YC, where I am now. I didn't wait longer than 10 minutes for any buses and even though CSR has multiple bus stops it didn't take that much longer to go around the resort. Yes, there were a few trips where the bus was jam packed and people were standing. Heck tonight leaving HS the boat was jam packed and had people standing. I'm closer to 60 then 59 and have no problems walking from the bus to the rooms after a long day in the park and I park hop just about every day using Disney transportation. One caveat, I'm not one of those people who plans out every minute so time spent travelling is no big deal. I didn't book a single FP until I got here and most days I've just used stand by for most rides.

We always rent a car. This year we are flying into Stanford so we need a car, but it's handy to have all week. We have several offsite places we love to eat at, plus I love the outlet malls!

Just want to point out not every resort gives you the ability to park right outside your room. It's possible the bus stop is actually closer than where you park your car.

A of A has one stop and we have two mermaid rooms so it's (per google maps) .4 of a mile walk to the bus stop but you can park right by the building....

A of A has one stop and we have two mermaid rooms so it's (per google maps) .4 of a mile walk to the bus stop but you can park right by the building....
Are you going to have breakfast in your room or do you need to walk to the main building for breakfast (presumably walking by the bus stop)?

Are you going to have breakfast in your room or do you need to walk to the main building for breakfast (presumably walking by the bus stop)?

That's a great question. Last trip we brought some breakfast food / garden grocery for breakfast. We have a pre park open tusker house, BOG, and crystal palace so breakfast isn't really needed at the dining commons I don't think. We may run grab a few things here and there but not a ton.... I think....

I am currently booked at AoA for a LM room with my cousin for early next year. We are renting a car, but we have multiple reservations at various resorts and DS. It is also just the two of us, so the car is like $100 for the week. Since we will probably only really have slight plan for each day, we will be doing a lot of spur of the moment changes as we go. We will use the buses occasionally, but mostly the car.

If we were mostly eating at, or near the parks, and not likely to hop more than once in the day, we would likely consider going without a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter