Staying offsite

We love renting a villa. so much room and pvt pool. Now I wouldn't like staying in one room for more than one day. I enjoy visiting the Disney hotels.

...can anyone book a timeshare condo/town or do you have to have a connection?

We stayed offsite for the first time this past Oct/Nov. We sortof fell into it though. I already had a room booked at CBR using the AP discount. A few weeks before we left, a coworker asked me when I was going to WDW again and when I told her two weeks, said oh shucks, she had some timeshare weeks she was going to lose if they weren't used by the end of Dec. (She had already banked all she could.) Anyway, she offered me a week in a one bedroom villa at Westgate Town Center for just $400.00 (plus the $50.00 transfer fee). $64.00/night was too good an offer to pass up. The AP discount I had didn't even come close to that, so I canceled the CBR ressie and took her up on it.

We loved staying offsite so much (cheaper, more relaxed, and had a ton of room in the villa, plus a fully equipped kitchen and a jacuzzi tub), that I came straight back and started looking into more offsite options. For my upcoming May trip I got quotes for a one bedroom Deluxe villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek from Vacation Strategies, Vacation Upgrades, Farrell's Vacations, and a seller on VRBO. Weeks for Bonnet Creek are also being sold on ebay by reputable sellers/owners. I went with Vacation Strategies and got a one bedroom for just $895.00 for ten nights/eleven days ($89.50/night) for mid May. For regular season (midMay), my AP discount couldn't beat that for a value resort, much less a fully equipped one bedroom villa. Plus Bonnet Creek is right there physically on property so will be closer than some of the 'onsite resorts'.

views - Disney has some really great views - OKW, AKL, and my favorite BLT.

There are some good views offsite as well. Our unit at the Fountains had a terrific view with a lake below, and then SeaWorld in the distance. :thumbsup2

I liked our view from Orlando Sunshine as well, although it was just the garden area by the pool. Nice view, though, and, with the padded lounge chairs and big screened porch, really comfy place to relax. :)

I do not expect much of our next stay at the Sunshine, though -- we're in the other building, which faces the pool but also a bunch of really big power lines. :sad2: Still not as hot and nasty a view as some at the Beach Club, however -- WDW has some of the best views, but also some of the worst.

can anyone book a timeshare condo/town or do you have to have a connection?

Anyone can rent points or weeks from individuals, and get very good deals that way. And a lot of places you can rent from the developers -- Wyndham, Blue Green, etc. -- or from the guys who run the place, like Floridays. All of those have two bedroom condos available for less than most rooms onsite cost. I'd pick a few places that sound good and look into how to find the best deal for that particular resort.

For instance, I believe the best deals at Bonnet Creek are the e-bay rentals; I'd probably go with Vacation Strategy myself, because using a broker is less risky. Less risky first because they've got a known reputation -- excellent, in the case of VC -- and second because they often have better protection if things go soft. Most rentals from individuals, OTOH, you pay your money upfront, and that's it; if you can't get there, tough. If you can't make your vacation with a broker, sometimes they will put your payment into an account so you can use it later or otherwise work with you. Using a broker is not the same as working with a hotel, but it's usually closer to that than renting from individuals can be.

Renting direct from Wyndham or Bluegreen -- generally the more expensive option, but also usually cheaper than onsite (the exceptions being free dining or some other deal) is pretty much like renting a hotel room, except you will not get daily maid service. Which is the big difference between being in a hotel and renting a timeshare in general, I suppose, but people who rent direct get surprised by that difference the most.

We went with another family about 3 years ago and stayed at a 3BR townhouse in Windsor Hills during the low season and absolutely loved it so much that we are going back again in 2013.

Windsor Hills is very close to Disney (only 5 minutes to get on property) and the money we saved plus the extra room to spread out makes it completely worth it in my opinion. No crowded resort pool, washer/dryer, full kitchen, and separate bedrooms... absolute heaven...:cheer2:

We had breakfast in the condo every morning, ate off-site or at the condo for a few dinners and lunches depending on when we took breaks, and I don't think that I would ever stay onsite again unless I was going with just my husband. The thought of packing us all in a hotel room for 8 days just makes me anxious.:scared:

Just be prepared onsite, you generally have a very long walk to your room after a long day.. Most off site motels you can pull up to your room

We have only stayed onsite once. I have stayed offsite on 7 Disney/Orlando trips. There is just no comparison at all. If you want a great view eat dinner at Chef Mickey's one night and request a seat near the window overlooking MK. We ate there and watched the fireworks at MK and met Mickey all for about $50, can't beat that.

There are lots of very nice resorts with incredible amenities for far less than staying onsite. To me the biggest perks are separate rooms for the kids ( I have a boy and a girl) and being able to shop at Whole Foods and eat healthy the whole trip. Nothing kills a kid's temperament more than unhealthy and unfamiliar food with too much sugar.

I have planned to stay on site Disney property but I am now debating on possibly staying offsite. We will have our own vehicle and will not utilize Disney transportation (my hubby will not ride with anyone else) so that is not a benefit for us. Tell me 1) why stay off property vs on property as well as 2) what is your favorite off site place to stay and why. We are a family of 4... One of which is a 2 year old. We will be traveling jan 31 through Feb 4.

11)

We are a family that has done both and for us there are pros and cons to both.

pros:
*immersed in the "magic"- which we love
*EMH
* Wonderful Theming
* and for us transportation---I thought it was much easier to utilize--I know you say you will not be using though.
Parking is Free.

As a family of 4 with your age groups, you may like the values- they have over the top theming. Mine loved Pop when they were younger.

Also...you may get a really good discount for that time frame (stay/play/dine?)

Cons:
Smaller rooms---less place to stretch out
You are there capitve audience and food is more expensive on property

Offsite we have stayed at Windsor Hills and really enjoyed it. The extra room is nice and the rates are usually good. The washer/dryer was a huge plus.

It really all depends on what you want.

Personally, if we stayed offsite again, we would probably try Bonnet Creek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter