Staying Offsite favorite places to stay.

jpm1st

Mouseketeer
We have stayed off site the last time we went with a group of friends at a large home we found on Ebay . Now just the 4 of us will be going back. Looking for a smaller home/condo.
Thanks for your help.
James

Welcome to the DIS, James! :wave:

I'm going to move this over to our Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for you. I'm sure the folks over there will have lots of great suggestions for you.

I know my answer won't help because it's not a home/condo, but I'm staying at the Gaylord Palms right now, and it's very nice. We have free internet and a work station in the room, which is how I'm replying to your message. They also play that Disney station with Stacey (I think that's her name, but the one they play in the disney hotels). I think this is a great hotel if you are looking to stay off property. Disney is very close, it only took us 5 minutes to get to Epcot.

If you are looking for a home to rent, I know there are some to rent over in the davenport area. It's around 27 and I4.

Good luck with better answers!

Marriott's Grande Vista is very nice. Can either rent from a timeshare owner or book directly through Marriott.

We also like Windsor Hills, Orange Lake, Sheraton Vistana Villages.

Happy planning!

Cypress Pointe Resort. Our favorite when we first saw it in 1992 and it remains our favorite today. The setting is perfect. It isn't a bunch of mid or high rise apartment buildings it is "old Florida" with three story residential buildings spread out over a good size plot of land surrounded by a pond, forever wild area and a planned community. You can arrive at the resort and, if desired, not use a car again until you leave as virtually anything you want is within an easy walk. Even Downtown Disney is 1 mile away. The resort itself is always improving. They have three pools, a large clubhouse with a game room, gift shop, exercise room and more. The units were updated in 2004/5 and have virtually every feature any resort can offer and in premium (not bland builder standard) products. We look forward to every visit.

We also enjoy Celebration World Resort not because the resort is so nice (it isn't) but due to the fact that they allow pets so the dogs get to vacation with us.

On the other side we own at Westgate yet can't recommend it to anyone. It has never stopped growing, has lost whatever original charm / identity it had as they have built low rise, mid rise and high rise buildings everywhere. it is too massive, not well managed and there is never ending sales pressure on every owner or guest. Actually we feel the same way about all the "mega resorts". Too isolated, too large and not what Florida is about. Give us a nice small (only by Orlando standards) resort with good access to services/restaurants around it and we're happy.

We returned late last night from a week at Emerald Island Resort. It was great! The community is beautiful, and well maintained. We rented a townhouse direct from an owner. The staff in both the clubhouse, and 24 hour guards are nice, polite, and helpful.
To get to the WDW parks, we used the Sherberth Rd. shortcut, and we were there in 5 minutes max. Then with the parking tram and monorail ride all moving quickly, we were at the front gates within 20 minutes of leaving the townhouse.
Have a great trip!

We may now have a friend that wants to go so we may need a place for 4 to 5 people. Thanks for all the info so far and keep them coming.
James

We like timeshare condo resorts. Our 1st choice preferences are (not in order):
Wyndham Bonnet Creek - new & upscale, nice resort amenities, next door to Disney resorts
Wyndham Cypress Palms - refurbished, spacious 2BRs, walkable resort w/restaurants nearby
Sheraton Vistana Villages - waterfall pool, pretty grounds
Marriott Cypress Harbour - lush landscaping, lots of activities, all 2BRs

Many others too... but these come to mind quickly. :)

Thanks everyone for the help.
I am looking at the various places mentioned.
If anyone else has a favorite place I am still looking around.
Thanks again for all the kind replies.
James

these are not close to Disney (close meaning a mile or two)

Hilton Grand vacation club at SW
Hilton Grand Vacation Club at ID
Marriott's Cypress Harbour
Marriott's Grande Vista
Horizon by Marriott
Sheraton Vistana Village

these are close to Disney within a mile or two of WDW front gates. (most of the time less)
Wynham's Bonnett Creek (also listed as Fairfield )
Cypress pointe
Silver Lake
Orbit one (old - but still nice - not great)
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Grand Beach
Byran's Spanish Cove (old - and definitely bug problem - last on the list)

rent from
www.myresortnetwork.com
www.condodirect.com
www.tug2.net - classified
www.redweek.com - you have to join

also for onsite
OKW
AKV - value - 2 studios
BWV - value - 2 studios

2 studio renting a reservation from a DVC member is cheaper than one 2-bedroom. although definitely not nearly as nice.

We stayed at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas in May and we LOVED IT! We own DVC at Boardwalk and almost always stay onsite. But we decided on a last minute trip and Disney was all booked up for DVC. After staying at Cypress Pointe GV we are thinking of selling our DVC points. I'm not kidding, we love it that much.

We stayed in a 2BR, which was huge. We had four in our party, but the place also has a pull-out, so can sleep six. (They also have 3BR units). We had a great view of the pools, putt-putt, and playground -- and it was not noisy at all. The kids loved having their own room and bathroom and we all loved the jet tub in the master bath. There was a big flat screen tv in the living room, full kitchen, washer and dryer, dining room, and a screened in balcony with ceiling fan. Winn Dixie is within walking distance and Walgreens is a short drive. It is right outside of downtown Disney and took us no time to commute.

We also got a fantastic rate of $83 per nite, tax included (and no cleaning fee) which we booked through a fellow-Dis'er who is a travel agent. If you want her name, send me a PM and I'll give it to you. (I don't think the rules allow me to give her info on the thread???!).

So....great big place, great location, and great price....what's not to love?

Buena Vista Suites & Staybridge Suites are the favorites for us. Very close to Disney and offer free breakfast. Very clean too.

The Terra Verde Resort is very nice. Both townhomes and houses for rental, and a beautiful clubhouse with tiki bar!

Hi,

I'm pretty new and haven't posted enough to be able to send a PM or an email. Could you send me the information on your travel agent?
Thanks,

Bill

billandre at comcast.net

We stayed at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas in May and we LOVED IT! We own DVC at Boardwalk and almost always stay onsite. But we decided on a last minute trip and Disney was all booked up for DVC. After staying at Cypress Pointe GV we are thinking of selling our DVC points. I'm not kidding, we love it that much.

We stayed in a 2BR, which was huge. We had four in our party, but the place also has a pull-out, so can sleep six. (They also have 3BR units). We had a great view of the pools, putt-putt, and playground -- and it was not noisy at all. The kids loved having their own room and bathroom and we all loved the jet tub in the master bath. There was a big flat screen tv in the living room, full kitchen, washer and dryer, dining room, and a screened in balcony with ceiling fan. Winn Dixie is within walking distance and Walgreens is a short drive. It is right outside of downtown Disney and took us no time to commute.

We also got a fantastic rate of $83 per nite, tax included (and no cleaning fee) which we booked through a fellow-Dis'er who is a travel agent. If you want her name, send me a PM and I'll give it to you. (I don't think the rules allow me to give her info on the thread???!).

So....great big place, great location, and great price....what's not to love?

We're going next month and decided to stay at Encantada.
They seem pretty close to Orlando attractions and look really nice. We got a 4bd/3bath with a private splash pool at a great price.
I'd add a link, but I don't have enough posts yet.

billa:

I sent you a PM with the info you wanted about the travel agent we used to book Cypress Pointe GV for that great price.

Although I'm no expert, I think you can get PMs even if you're new here. Just click on "private messages" under your user name on the top right corner of your screen.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here can help.

A resort that doesn't get much mention is Worldquest. It has large 2 and 3 bedroom units and a continental breakfast and snacks later in the day is included. It also features a very nice pool area. However, with 4 girls, I was definitely won over with having 3 baths.

Bonnet Creek is the best of both worlds---outstanding location, right next to CBR and more centrally located than OKW or SSR. You pretty much have to book this one thorugh an owner.

I also like the townhomes at Windsor Hills with the splash pool.

I have the Cypress Pointes on my short list. I'm looking forward to the results of the upcoming refurb, as I understand the bathrooms are all getting doors!

The three "Palms" Marriots have great locations, but are not quite as nice as the other three that are farther out. Likewise for Vistana vs. Vistana Villages, though most sections of the former are also getting a well-deserved refurb.

We've stayed at both Emerald Isle and Formosa Gardens. We loved them both but preferred the house at Formosa. It was much more luxurious. I can't remember the house number (2801 maybe?) but it was on Sleeping Dragon Lane. It was a beautiful house with impeccable furnishings and in a very quiet neighborhood just minutes from Animal Kingdom (we'd found a shortcut in).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter