Staying off-site?

I like using DME to get from the airport to the resort. I like being in the Disney Bubble the whole time I am on vacation. I like being able to walk to a bus stop, and hop on a bus to the theme parks. I like Extra Magic Hours, and I like being able to have purchases delivered to my resort, so that I don't have to carry them around the parks.

This describes us too. Add to it the fact that we really enjoy exploring other Disney resorts besides the one we stay at and it explains why we stay onsite. For us it isn't going to "Florida", it is going to "Disney" and we love the immersion.

We too wouldn't rule out an off site trip and some other sightseeing, but we absolutely love our onsite Disney only vacations.

The big drawback is parking. You'll pay $14 a day to park at WDW if you stay offsite, even Bonnet Creek. Unless you have an annual pass which gives you free parking. If you stay onsite, you get free parking at the theme parks.

Our last 3 trips, and the only ones we've taken since having kids, have all been on site. Before that, the vast majority were off site.

We fly from JFK, so for us one huge advantage is the transportation system. From the time we check our bags at JFK until we pick them up there a week later, transportation is not an issue. We've never waited more than about 10 minutes for a bus (we go in August if that makes a difference.)

I also love access to the DDP.

If we were to choose not to stay at a Disney resort, we would be at the Dolphin, using the teacher's discount.

It all depends on where you are coming from, financially.

Disney has raised their resort prices so much over the past 5 years that we seem to be effectively priced out of staying onsite for what we want and need in our vacation. In 2010 we stayed at a 1BR at BWV for a 45% discount, for under $300 a night. Now the best you can get is 30% and with the base price of $600, we'd still pay over $400 a night. That's a significant difference, and we really can't afford to spend that much and buy park tickets so - we are staying offsite our next trip.

We're going to Bonnet Creek which seems to be a perfect alternative. Because we drive to Disney from home, we almost always drive to parks, so transportation will not be an issue. Distance to the parks should be about the same as OKW distance and location, so we feel good about that, we'll still be inside the overall Disney geographic bubble. Paying $120 a night for a 2 br condo, so no one is on a sofabed. We are hopeful that this will work for us and we can continue to do our week-10 days every year and not break the bank. We only go on cash so we won't go into debt for any trip.

Disney onsite comparable room $3000 vs. offsite $900. Total trip cost reduced over $2,000. Wow!! Our condo cost is comparable to a value resort room onsite.

We too will be staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek this trip (in just under two weeks from now:cool1::cool1:). We got a one bedroom deluxe villa for just $896.00 ($89.60 per night for the ten nights). Even with my AP discount I couldn't beat that, for even a WDW Value resort. We planned on renting a car and driving to the parks anyway, because we don't like waiting around for Disney transportation, but even if we didn't, the money we saved on accommodations would be alot more than enough to pay for a rental car. With the AP we don't have to pay for parking and since my mom is going with us, we'll have her handicap tag, so will be able to park close to the gates (except at MK). As you said Bonnet Creek is physically within the WDW geographic bubble (within the gates of WDW), so is closer to the parks than some of the WDW resorts. Paying less than we would for a tiny value room with two regular beds, we will be getting a one bedroom villa in a deluxe resort with a fully equipped kitchen, dining area, living room with sofa bed, a seperate bedroom with king size bed, a jacuzzi tub, a large walk in shower, two flat screen TVs, and a washer and dryer (that will allow us to easily do carry on only, saving baggage fees). Bonnet Creek has mutliple really nice themed pools, several pool slides, hot tubs, two lazy rivers, a kids water play area, a free mini golf course, game room, kids activities and crafts all day long, plus several nice eating places within walking distance. Why would I pay more to stay in a tiny WDW Value room?:confused3 We plan on using the rental car to run over to Universal for a few days and over to the outlet malls, and will do most dinners offsite, because you can get better food for much cheaper prices, but if we didn't want to go offsite, we could easily never go back outside those entrance arches once we arrive and never lose any of the Disney ambience.

I always swore I'd never stay offsite, but last Oct a coworker offered me a week in a her timeshare (just one mile off property) for just $400.00 for the week. A week in a one bedroom villa for just $400.00 seemed to good of a deal to pass up ($57.00 per night), so I canceled the reservation I had at CBR and decided to give offsite a try. We loved it so much, that we've sworn we would never stay onsite again. We had tons of room, two TVs, jacuzzi tub, huge walk in shower, washer/dryer, fully equipped kitchen, multiple pools and hot tubs to choose from, a mini golf course, paddle boats, onsite free disney movies, etc. We were only about five minutes from AK and not too much farther from any of the other parks and had a ton more room and nicer facilities than if we'd stayed onsite. We ate better and cheaper than we ever had down there and spent a ton less money for the trip. With the money we saved, we could make another trip down there, staying in nicer accommodations than we could get at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter