Staying off site need advice

Our2Girls&Disney

DIS Veteran
Last year we stayed on site and loved it! I loved being able to go back to the hotel for mid day swim and back to parks at night. This year we are doing a lower cost trip so we will be staying off site. We will be staying in Davenport, so we are talking about 15-20 minute commute each way. Chances are we will not be going back for mid-day swim because it might not be worth it. Has anyone ever done this? Does it seem like a long day when you stay in the parks all day? Any advise you can give will be wonderful! TIA.

You should still go back for a swim and nap or whatever. I cannot tell you how easy it is to burn out in the parks. I'm not an adult, but my dad pretty much let me dictate the schedule when we went last summer, and we both agreed 1000% that a midday nap is the way to go.

If you arrive around 9am, or whenever the parks open, you'll probably begin getting a little hot, cranky and bored by ~1pm, maybe earlier. This is the ideal time to head out. It's worth a 20 minute drive. Stay at the hotel til ~4 maybe 5pm, then go back. There shouldn't be massive traffic at either of those times.

That way, you also save money on food; you can buy cheaper outside of the parks or make food or something. Whatever the case, YES, go back in the middle of the day! Good luck!

That is why I like the Formosa Gardens area for rental homes right off of 192 and only minutes from Disney. It is as close as some of the Disney hotels with the ammenities of having the room and private pool of a vacation home.

:thumbsup2

I could not agree with you guys any more. The only problem is we will be staying at my parents place. They bought it last year and will not be there when we are there. They stay for most of the winter and come home mid April. Since we are going during the kids school vacation week and they are not there, they offered to let us stay there for free. You really can't beat the price.

No you definately cant beat that price! I know you will have a great time! Enjoy! Let us know how great your trip was! :goodvibes

You can not beat a price like that. It is well worth the ride you are saving hundreds.

If you are going at a busy time it sounds like you are, give yourself a little more then 15-20 minutes for your commute. Just in case.

Have a wonderful time I think you will enjoy the vacation home it is a little bit different vacation then onsite. IMO any way I think its a bit more relaxing.

We stayed in Davenport in April 2006 and we arrived for the opening of the park, were able to do many rides first thing before it got busy, had lunch and either did another ride or two and/or some shopping, then went back to the villa for a swim/nap and dinner. We would stop at Publix on the way back to the villa for our break and buy what we wanted that evening. We had use of a gas b-b-q, so we would make meals that could be completely done on it, then around 5:30 we would head back to the park. We have two children, 4 and 8 at the time, and this worked really well for us. They were able to make it until the closing fireworks/show. I don't think any of us would have lasted if we hadn't taken the break. I think if you stayed onsite and used Disney transportation, from some parks it would take you close to the same time to get back to you resort, so personally, I don't think it's as time consuming as it seems to head back to your villa in the afternoons. By the way, I would be so happy if my parents bought a villa in Davenport! Lucky you!

look on the map that 5min2disney posted.

the Davenport area is where I4 meets US 27 - so your house development could be there.

most of the CM's that I know live in Davenport - so it won't be long.

now April will be great - except for 2 weeks - Palm and Easter weeks - very, very crowded. if you are talking about then. then I would make reservations at least on Sunday might at a value resort. MK is only late on Sunday night. or whatever your favorite park is.

here is park hours for April (they might change - remember to check a few days before you leave)
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/april07.cfm?requesttimeout=1000

if it is after - then you will be there for the flower & garden show at Epcot - well worth going - love those concerts!!!

I would definitely go back for a break if you into do any of the concerts.

we are talking about 15-20 minute commute each way.

It takes this long or longer to take a Disney bus to lots of resorts and walk from the bus stop to your room!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how efficient and easy (and cheaper because you can stop at offsite places to eat, buy aspirins and other sundries) it is to have a car, even if your offsite digs are several miles from the parks.

I'm typing this from a villa in Davenport. We had no problems doing split days. We're only a couple of miles from the first exit to Disney off of I4. It felt like we were there within minutes. We did some split days with ease and it was really nice. We love the location and decided this is it for us if we come back. The traffic on I4 after passing the first exit (exit 62?) was bad and we were soooo glad we missed all that.

Depending on where in Davenport your parents home is you can use Sherberth Road ,Avalon /HartzogRoad or I-4 to get to the parks so plenty of options .

My parents place is about a mile down Route 27. I know that you take I4 get off at 27 and take a left. They live at Deer Creek RV Resort.

Our dates are April 22-30 so, we should not have any problems with the Easter rush. The only problem is Grad nights we do hit that.

The comment about the bus system take 15 minutes is so true. You do have point. By the time sit and wait for the bus to come and stop at the many street lights along the way, it takes at least that to get to a resort. Where if you take a car the parks are right off that main street (WDW drive????)

I am really excited about this trip and so are my parents. They want us to enjoy their place as well.

We have stayed offsite the last four trips to Disney and we never go back to our rental villa midday for a nap or break. I'm the kind of person that when I pay big $$$ to get into Disneyworld, I am going to stick around and get my money's worth :upsidedow ! I have four kids under the age of 7 and when they get tired they just nap in the stroller (we only had one napper our last trip last month, my 2.75 yr old daughter). Our rental villa was in Kissimmee, off of Ponciana. It wasn't a bad drive to the World or Universal Studios. It's really cool that you have parents with property near Disney :cool1: !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter