Staying during construction...not sure how to plan.

MaC410

DIS Veteran
So there's a lot of talk about the large amount of construction happening at resorts like Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach and it does make me wary about a trip I'm planning. My wife and I have only been to disney world once so we don't have any experience staying at a resort undergoing a large amount of construction. We see people worrying about it a lot and changing their plans because of it but we aren't actually sure if it's something we should worry about as well and plan around.

My wife and I pretty much are only at the resort to sleep. We get to the parks fairly early (not at opening though) and we are there until closing. We also don't plan to eat at a resort food court. How exactly would large construction like the affect us? Would it only be about how the resort looks? Like seeing construction fences and buildings in the middle of being torn down? We still enjoy being at a resort that is nice to look at and has a nice theme. Does construction of this size really impact that?

I think the construction at CBR is unlikely to impact most guest experience and I wouldn't worry about it.

CSR... I don't know, actually. They're going to BUILD AN ISLAND in the middle of that lake. That is going to require quite a bit of dirt, among other things. I suspect when that gets rolling, it will be more disruptive.

I think the construction at CBR is unlikely to impact most guest experience and I wouldn't worry about it.

CSR... I don't know, actually. They're going to BUILD AN ISLAND in the middle of that lake. That is going to require quite a bit of dirt, among other things. I suspect when that gets rolling, it will be more disruptive.

It seems like CSR is the one to actually be concerned about. What exactly are they doing at CBR?

It seems like CSR is the one to actually be concerned about. What exactly are they doing at CBR?
CBR, they will be demolishing most of/all of (not sure, sorry) Martinique and Barbados and building new stuff and new stormwater ponds.

Which would mean people would be staying mostly in rooms in Jamaica, Aruba and the Trinidads. I don't think people would notice the construction much.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.jpg

I just can't see any way you build an island at CSR and not have the work be noticeable from much of the resort. The build over near what is now Cabanas 9B would be easy to ignore from Ranchos.

Agree. If you are at CBR right now expecting lots of ground work at north end of resort and sounds like they are ready to move on the main building/dining area. Hopefully they will do this in a way to still maintain dining options. Don't know and if your trip is not until December then I would guess we'll know closer to summer.

CSR I would be prepared for a big impact. Of course if you are gone all day you should miss all the noise you might not care. But my guess by what they are proposing, there may not be access to main hub via Cabanas which means a long walk or taking the bus. They have put out there so many projects at that resort, I'm anticipating a visual mess and impact to resort. My favorite moderate but I'm not going back until this is complete ... if I can afford it afterwards.

LONG TERM the north villages are being bulldozed for what looks a tower and rumored DVC. Probably an independent resort with entrance at current CBR entrance. The CBR check in will relocate to the main hub by main pool where they are redoing the entire thing, adding a restaurant on the water, new front entrance and probable access via the Victory Drive entrance. There is also some strange buildings around the property that some are saying is for a gondola system ........ if true it will ruin the resort as it is now (not that a tower belongs on a Caribbean island) so we really don't know what the long term plan is for CBR. They have filed major water management permits for tons of land disturbance and it's likely to be a construction zone all over for a years.

My wife and I pretty much are only at the resort to sleep. We get to the parks fairly early (not at opening though) and we are there until closing. We also don't plan to eat at a resort food court. How exactly would large construction like the affect us? Would it only be about how the resort looks? Like seeing construction fences and buildings in the middle of being torn down? We still enjoy being at a resort that is nice to look at and has a nice theme. Does construction of this size really impact that?

Only to sleep should be quiet by then.

Impact resort, yes, there is no way around it. Everyone's tolerance level is different but both projects are very big and long term.

CBR being bigger and seeming to need more land disturbance will likely be longer and more spread out around property. CSR is more compact and the construction will all be right there in the middle of things. They are already beginning.

Also at CSR, they plan to construct a huge tower that will be something like 16 stories high. I would not like to be at the resort while all this is going ahead.

Construction is something that bothers some people and not others. I had not expected it to impact us unduly until I stayed at the YC and found it impossible to enjoy our stay there during minor renovations. Since the noise ( and finding a worker on our balcony when we were still in bed) and disruption of that trip, we NEVER knowingly stay at a resort undergoing construction.

Other people stay at these all the time. They find it interesting to see the developments or are never at the resort when the work is occurring.

Personally, I think that construction definitely mars the atmosphere of any resort and at Disney prices I prefer not to deal with that. There are always options that are not undergoing construction. In this case POR and POFQ, both of which are great moderates.

If anything, what I am fascinated to see is what this all does to timelines for a POR/POFQ refurb. They're due in ~2018 for refurb, but Disney would have to be bonkers to disrupt those two resorts while doing so much at CBR and CSR.

If anything, what I am fascinated to see is what this all does to timelines for a POR/POFQ refurb. They're due in ~2018 for refurb, but Disney would have to be bonkers to disrupt those two resorts while doing so much at CBR and CSR.

I can't even imagine touching them while all this is going on.

But if this rumor of gondolas is true ........ then Disney is bonkers and I put nothing past them.

We are hoping to stay in one of the moderate resorts. POFQ seems to be our first choice. I'm wondering how availability will be if people are going to start flocking to Port Orleans if the other two moderates are undergoing large construction.

The OP stated he and his wife would just be at the resort to sleep so anything going on during the day wouldn't affect them.

It's anecdotal evidence, but last year my family stayed at WL, while half of the resort was undergoing room upgrades and dozers were creating new beach area right outside our window. We never heard a peep. Of course, our 4 year old had us out the door by 7am, but we did come back for mid-afternoon naps, and we never had a disturbance over 6 days. If that experience is typical, then Disney does a good job managing their contractors.

Actually, we heard much more noise from the Electrical Water Pageant each night. Boy, that parade is loud!

I would expect POR and POFQ to be even busier than normal. If you want to stay at POFQ in December, I would book now and lock in a room

We are hoping to stay in one of the moderate resorts. POFQ seems to be our first choice. I'm wondering how availability will be if people are going to start flocking to Port Orleans if the other two moderates are undergoing large construction.

I was booked at CBR April 28th-May 6th, I received an email this morning that said the food court will be closed during our stay. I called and changed to POFQ, POR was completely booked during this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter