Staying at the BC - where to eat dinner day 1?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
We are staying at the BC and I'm trying to figure out where to have dinner the day of arrival.

WE have a 5 year old and a 1 year old.

We could eat at DS or Epcot. However, I'm thinking we should stay close by the resort so we can swim before SAB closes at 8pm

When we go to BCV, we plan to eat at Beaches and Cream on the night of arrival~we have never been there though so I don't have anything to tell you about it :)
You could also walk to the Boardwalk.

I would choose to eat at Cape May Cafe, the buffet there is really good and the atmosphere good for the kids (we were given a bucket of colouring pencils and allowed to draw on the table cloth as we waited!)

I would choose to eat at Cape May Cafe, the buffet there is really good and the atmosphere good for the kids (we were given a bucket of colouring pencils and allowed to draw on the table cloth as we waited!)

I agree 100%! :-)wave: Karen)

This is the spot I chose for my sister and BIL on their arrival night at BWV.

Variety of food and great location. :thumbsup2

The problem with Beaches & Cream is that it is very small, so getting in can be difficult. They do have a carry out window for taking stuff poolside though...(that may just be for ice cream, you'll need to verify that).

It really depends on whether you want a sit-down meal or more of a quick-service meal.

You could have something quicker at the Beach Club Marketplace or Hurricane Hanna's Grill at the pool (one of my favorites since you can get the Beaches & Cream cheeseburger there now!).

Or you could walk over to the Boardwalk and eat at ESPN Club or eat on the Boardwalk at the Spoodles pizza window or grab a hot dog at Boardwalk to Go.

Or you could go over to the Swan & Dolphin for one of the many restaurants over there. My favorite there is the Fountain at the Dolphin.

There are just so many choices!

If you want a buffet, Cape May is fine. Although, I have enjoyed it less the last few years. We ate over at Big River Grill two weeks ago and liked that quite a bit. We also at at Beach and Cream. It took an hour to get seated, so Hurricane Hannah's may be better if you are after the cheeseburger. There are quite a few sit down places over on the Boardwalk if BRG doesn't seem right for you.

I don't not eat ESPN Club the food was awful. I had to send my ribs back an they was burn. Change orders for some hot wings they was burn to. Eat the hot wings but I never go back to ESPN Club again.

House of Blues has some excellent food.

P.S. I did thought I die and went to heaven because ESPN had TVs in the bathroom restaurants.

If you're main interest is the pool, why not get carry-out from Beaches & cream and enjoy it poolside. The pool can wear you out though for the next day.

If you're presentable enough (I hate "getting ready" for dinner if I've been swimming) then go to Cape May.

Our personal choice though, is to go to DHS or Epcot and catch a few attractions, dinner, and a nighttime show. A little magic! Last time we caught Playhouse Disney, Indiana Jones, and the Muppet Show before we ate at Mama Melrose, then retired early for an early start the next morning.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied. How was Mama Melrose? I was thinking of booking the Fantasmic package there.

At Beaches & Cream, is there semi healthy food for a baby (1 year old)?

Also, Cape May -- we went there a while ago and I don't have a clear recollection. What was your (and anyone else's) experience there like?

I think we will eat at 5 then about 6:30 swim until the pool closes. Is there a quiet pool open later than 8pm?

Sorry about all the questions!

If you're main interest is the pool, why not get carry-out from Beaches & cream and enjoy it poolside. The pool can wear you out though for the next day.

If you're presentable enough (I hate "getting ready" for dinner if I've been swimming) then go to Cape May.

Our personal choice though, is to go to DHS or Epcot and catch a few attractions, dinner, and a nighttime show. A little magic! Last time we caught Playhouse Disney, Indiana Jones, and the Muppet Show before we ate at Mama Melrose, then retired early for an early start the next morning.

We have stayed at BCV in the past and went to epcot (coral reef) for dinner. We hit a few rides after dinner and the kids were excited to start off the trip at one of the parks. THis year we are again staying at BCV and plan to eat in AK (EMH that night) and take in some of the attractions after dinner. Personally if I am so close to the parks, I need to go in . I would not be able to stay at the hotel on our first night.

Have a great time, you will love BC.

We stayed at BCV last Jan (and will again next Jan). We did Cape May Buffet on arrival day... and it was probably our worst meal of the trip. Were we just over tired from travel? Don't know for sure, but I can't recommend it.

As for ESPN, that was our 2nd worst meal of the trip. Very bad for young children. The table was very tall and wobbly, I was worried the entire meal about my kids falling. And to make matters worse, my DFIL got sick after dinner (he has some digestive problems, so it wasn't spoiled food, but added to the negative vibe).

Sorry to give negative feedback to two of your best options, but I think we'll be hitting EPCOT one of the other Boardwalk places next Jan. We might even travel to another resort to try Ohana or even Chef Mickey. It all depends on what time we'll be arriving and how much time we'll have to relax and settle in before dinner.

Heather
PS BC was awesome! No matter where you have your first meal, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Also, Cape May -- we went there a while ago and I don't have a clear recollection. What was your (and anyone else's) experience there like?

I just noticed that you asiked about experiences at Cape May, so I should probably tell you what we didn't like about it so you can make an informed choice. One person's worst can easily be another's best.

1. The way the lines work. There were 4 sides to the buffet. Each had their own line. If you wanted something from each side, it could easily be a half hour of waiting AND you didn't know for sure what was on each line because there were so many people you couldn't see the buffet. I felt horrible for the people sitting close to the buffet because they ate with butts in their faces.
2. The food was OK at best. DMIL loved the clams. DD wouldn't eat the pizza (her favorite food) I didn't find anything very good. DH and DFIL said aggreed, meh. Not worth the chaos.
3. Our table was booth style on one side, but there were three of us on that side, so we had to have everyone get out so one person could slide out etc... Not good for a buffet where you get up and down a lot.
4. It took us a long time to get the check. This was probably our waitress and not the typical experience there, but we had two very tired children and wanted to leave.

If they fix the way the lines work, and you like clams and have a better waitress, you can probably have a much better experience than we did.

If you do plan on Cape May, I'd make sure you have someone set to take the kids out when they are done and have someone else wait to pay the bill.

I second the Big River recommendation. It is close to your hotel and would be nice to walk to. The Yacht Club Galley also has good food and is a little quieter than Cape May. I think that going to the park to do attractions, eating, and then coming back to do the pool might be too tiring. I'd relax around the resort area to eat and swim.

At Beaches & Cream, is there semi healthy food for a baby (1 year old)?

We enjoyed B&C w/ our kids (8, 8, 6 1/2) in May. They are older, so we didn't have a long wait because we sat at the counter.

Anyway, the kids meals gave them a choice of fruit or fries. The fruit was very good--cut up cubes of melon. The hamburgers, etc. came on whole wheat buns.

Also, they had frozen yogurt, fat-free vanilla ice cream, and sherbert as dessert choices.

Adult meals also could come with fruit. I had an EXCELLENT turkey sandwich on multi-grain bread and DH had a WONDERFUL (he said, the best he's ever had) grilled chicken sandwich. So you could certainly order something similar for yourself and share with the baby.

We also ate at the Cape May Cafe and our kids loved. DH and I thought it was fine, but not amazing. (but most Disney restaurants are fine, but not amazing) We didn't eat the clams, but DH loved the peel and eat shrimp and there was a great terrakki glazed salmon. The kids liked the pizza, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and the desserts. It was clean and not as crowded as a PP said, but we were there in May so it wasn't the busiest season.

We stayed the the BC. You will LOVE it!!! Have a great trip!

P.S. You might want to get the FREE life jackets for your kids. They have them near the pool at the cabana where you rent tubes. My kids loved them in the lazy river--parts of it are over 8 ft. deep. You just give a room # and if you don't return them on your check out date, you get charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter