Staying at the ASM for the first time... a bit hesitant

phanomouse

DIS Veteran
So my wife and I decided to invite some friends to come with us in December, they said that they would love to and then they came over and we decided to plan the trip. Well they decided that they would like to stay on property but couldn't afford to, so my wife convinced them that the all stars would be perfect. She has stayed there but I have not. I may sound a little snobish but I am very picky about my hotels and I am nervouse about staying at this resort. The truth is I don't even know why, I guess the distance from the resort to the parks, the amenities... I don't know... I guess I am just used to more. So in my quest to not seem disapointed in front of my wife and our friends I am looking to all the Dis fans out there to help me get stoked about staying here... Thanks to everyone in advance

Just keep things in perspective. You wouldn't want to hurt your friends' feelings by complaining about the resort that they could afford.

The rooms are small, but will be large enough for just the two of you. No extras- coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer. Just pack a travel steamer, travel dryer and use the refillable mugs . You will be fine. Try to focus on the positives- "Isn't the theming incredible? Isn't the food court convenient?"

The resorts are no further than AKL. I just stayed there this weekend and the longest bus trip to a park was MK- 15 minutes

You may even surprise yourself and come to the conclusion that the AS are the way to go for those times that you want to save a little.

I agree with Susy - just knowing it's Disney is enough for me. We're staying at the ASMu in November and if this trip is going to be anything like last year's, we weren't in our room long enough to have any complaints. If you plan on being in the parks every day - this is the way to go. If you are taking an extended vacation (more than 5 or 6 nights), then you might miss a few of those ammenities that the moderate and deluxe resorts offer. But, for me, personally, I don't hang out that the resorts - me and my family open and close the parks. Either way - you should enjoy yourself.

:earsgirl:

See this is exactly the kind of thing I need to hear!!! Thank you Susy! In the time since I wrote this post and when I read your response, I have been looking at pictures of the resort, as well as reading about the resort on wdwig. I am trying to focus on the simple fact that we will be in WDW and that alone is worth being excited!!! Thanks again Susy!

Phanomouse, I am in the same boat as you. We are going next summer with BIL's family, and they are on a tighter budget than us. We have always stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts, and we are going to be going to the All-Stars this trip.

I am trying to think of it as a new Disney experience, different from the rest of the trips. We tend to be up and at it rather early and don't spend much time at the resorts anyways. Since there are budget constraints we will probably be eating more at food courts and counter service instead of restaurants. We've stayed at AKL and figure the bus service will be about the same. Since this is the other family's first experience at WDW, we are looking forward to showing them a good time. I'm actually rather excited about it! :)

I,too, was an All-Stars snob and forked out the extra cash to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter during my first visit to WDW in August 2001 (3 times what I paid at All Stars). However, when great airfare from Boston came out in January 2002 ($99 R/T) I took my annual passes and made reservations for All Star Music ($49) figuring Disney-on-a-budget is better than no Disney at all! How bad could it be? I was VERY pleasantly surprised by ASMu. The food court IMHO is much better than PORFQ and so is the bus service. Although I would like to try other WDW resorts, someday, I made reservations at ASMu again for this coming November with the A/P discount. We stayed in the Broadway building last winter and there is theming, galore. Both pools are excellent and never seemed crowded. There is a little courtyard with roses and a fountain, reminiscent of New Orleans. I have become a fan of at least All Star Music because it allows me to visit longer and visit more often.

I enjoyed my stay at All Star Music as much as at the GF and the AKL. It is different and very fun and colorful. I requested a top floor room so I wouldn't have anyone over me and the place was quiet. I was alone in the room so it wasn't crowded and I wouldn't find it that bad with another person or even a kid or two. While the interior is small it does have a fun flair to it that adds to the overall effect. It was also fun to walk around the resorts and check out all the details. It almost feels as though you are in a comic strip sometimes.

You are very welcome!

I first stayed at ASMo last Jan and didn't realize how used to certain "amenities" I was. Even at hotels that I've stayed in overnight while traveling on the road (like Best western) at least have a hairdryer/coffeemaker.

You will notice right away that the table and chair in the room are tiny, no extra amenities (bring all your own stuff and you'll be fine).Also, I know some might find this silly, but DH and I sleep in separate beds on vacation. Why squish into one bed when there are two beds available? It's hard enough to sleep in a strange place. Also, I did notice the "toilets flushing". Probably because I had heard so much about it on these boards.

Well, when we were at AKL last week I brought my humidifier (it isn't a real big one) because we were all sick. It really kept the room humid (the AC can be very drying) and the humming drowned out any noise from the hallway or other rooms. I 'm planning on bringing it with me on all my trips.

We're just back from ASMu and we loved it. The bus system was wonderful. We were in the Calypso building and on the top floor so we didn't have any more of a noise problem that we've had in any other hotel. The rooms were larger (IMHO) that those of a regular hotel room. The beds were quite high, so we could store the suitcases etc underneath them. All 3 of us were able to unpack quite comfortably in the dresser and on the hangers and we stored all of our extra "stuff" on the shelf on top of the closet area. We loved the guitar pool and spent a few mornings and afternoons just hanging around in it while our laundry washed in the machines just off the pool area. The food court was okay for just grabbing a snack and refilling our mugs, but I must say it can be a mad house in the morning, but if you're there just before or just after the morning rush it was fine. We tended to eat muffins, granola bars or cereal in our rooms and just fill up our mugs there. We can't wait to stay there again, hopefully next April. Hope this helps ease your mind a bit.

ASMo was only our second WDW stay, CSR being our first.
I too use to think AS :eek: .
But ASMo exceeded all my expectations (except the small, busy laundry facilities).
That has been my favorite WDW resort so far! :) Of course I don't expect it to meet the standards of a deluxe. But who would?
For the price, it was GREAT!
I am looking forward to staying in ASMu next month and returning to ASMo in January! :)
Of course DH and I just aren't in our room long enough to make much of a difference.
Probably the only thing I can say I miss is the in room coffee maker. DH misses the hot tub and an extra good bakery (like CSR and POR had).
Oh well -- the walk for drink refils at ASMo was minimal -- very convenient. And the others aren't enough to complain about -- esp for the price difference.
It's just the two of us. So the room sizes at the values are fine for us. :)
The ASMo laundry facility is a pain in the All Star Sports ;) compared to a mod. But that won't kill me in January either.
I'm just staying at a resort for 3 - 8 nights. I'm not moving in. (Darn it. ;) )

I look at it this way -- by staying in a value I can stay LONGER at WDW and buy more PINS!!! :smooth:

All Star Movies is my FAVORITE resort! I don't know what it is about the place. Last May we were at POR and I just didn't like it. I wanted to be back at the Movies. Later this month we will be staying at OKW and in a way I am already missing my Movies! I know OKW is a nice resort, but it's just not the Movies. The smaller room size at the All Stars doesn't really bother my husband or me since it is just the two of us. I think you will have a great time at the All Stars, especially if you are a kid at heart!

Give it a chance, you might love it as much as I do!

I stayed at ASMu for the first time in March 2002. We had previously stayed at only moderate and deluxe resorts. We were squeezing in a 4 night budget trip on our way home from the Florida Keys!

The AS are actually very nice. The room was very roomy (there was just me and DH). We had a King bed room, so the space seemed even larger. The theming was great (we were in Jazz). The food court was very convenient, and the bus system was fantastic! I had been less than excited about the resort before we arrived, but I was very pleasantly surprised! I would definately return!

It is better to be at WDW than to not be at WDW!!!!!

:earsgirl: Krissy

We are big fans of the All Stars. We have also stayed at all of the moderates and several Deluxes. The All Stars have the BEST food courts of all of the resorts. We usually prefer to stayed at the All Stars in the Spring and Fall and stay at a moderate during the summer and delux in the winter, mostly because of crowds in the summer. I would rather stay at the All Stars 3 times a year, than at a Delux once a year. I think it's a great way to get the Disney theme for the least amount of money. They are never short of Cast Members at the All Stars. We also try to get a King Bed when we are there. We have about a 50-50 track record, but we always ask. We are at the All Star Movies for our next 2 trips (Sep. and Oct.)

The best way to explain it is ALL STAR will make you feel about 10 years old. Its great to be a kid again.

Hobbs28

In the past, my parents have always stayed at the Contemporary, Polynesian, or most recently, the Grand Floridian. This past spring, it was just my mother coming down, and I made her a reservation for AK Lodge, thinking she'd love the animals. Of course, she immedietly changed it to All Star Music, saying that she didn't want to spend all that money for just herself. I was kind of worried that she wouldn't like the All Stars, but she actually loved it. Everyone says the room sizes are small... but I didn't find any problems with them. Unless you're planning on ballroom dancing in the room, they're fine.

In all honesty, the theming isn't for everyone. Personally, I like it... it's very fun, and whimsical. Disney has always been a Family environment... and kids really love the All Stars. Just imagine the eyes on a little boy, as he comes home to Buzz Lightyear... My mother walked all around the complex, and to the other themes, taking pictures of all the buildings to show everyone at home.

Because it's a Value resort, it's reasonable to assume that you won't recieve the level of amenities that you would at Moderate, or Deluxe resorts. But you will still receive the Disney level of service. As long as you plan for the amenities, you'll be fine. One thing that I didn't realize, is that they only have limited Bell Services...

Everyone always assumes that the All-Stars are soooooooo far away, and that they'll be stuck on a bus for hours getting to places. It's completely not the case. It's actually the MK area that is far from everything else. 75% of Disney is based off of Buena Vista Drive, which is the road that the All Stars is on. Busses run more frequently to the All Stars than any other location. Disney always says that busses will run every 20 minutes, but in actuality, it's more like every 7-11 minutes.

Animal Kingdom is about 5 minutes away, both Epcot and the Studios are about 8 minutes away, and the MK is about 12 minutes away. As for Downtown Disney... it all depends on traffic, but it's about a 15 minute journey on average.

Magic Kingdom busses typically will run seperate busses for each All Star. Epcot will run separate busses during the park exit, but will run combined busses during the daytime. When busses are combined, they will run alternate between Sports, Music, Movies.... or Movies, Music, Sports. In addition, Downtown Disney also has a Music, Movies, Sports route. By alternating the order, it allows fairness to all of the ASR's.

When my mother was staying at the All Stars, I obviously had my car, but we relied on Disney Transport to take us to and from the parks. The most we ever had to wait was 9 minutes for the Epcot bus. (Of course, in the heat, it felt like 20... but according to my watch, it was only 9... and yes, I timed it... :D)

The busses were crowded in the mornings (8-10), and during the park exit. As long as you expect this, and realize you're not the only one who has the same idea, you'll be fine. We happened to luck out, and never had to stand, except for when I would offer my seat to someone. Even still, it was nice to have someone else drive, for a change. And of course, the bus was nice and cool... a far cry from my car after sitting in the sun. (Black leather, florida sun, what was I thinking?)

I'll be staying at the ASMu for the 3rd time inOctober. It's very pleasant, colorful and energetic. Everything you need is there. The only thing they don't have is a sit down restaurant but there are so many to choose from in the parks and DD that it shouldn't be a problem. We loved the little outdoor bar in the pool area and have met some fun people just hanging out there. You'll have a blast. - Nancy

house1-25.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter