Staying at AKV....Publix or Target???

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
Quick question...

We are driving in from TPA on a Thursday morning and staying at AKV. We need to pick up a few groceries (cheese, eggs, apples, yogurt, bottled water and soda) and I'm wondering which would be most cost-effective and convenient. We have the Target RedCard (for the 5% discount) so I was leaning towards Target, but I am unfamiliar with Publix (only heard about it here on the Dis) so I'm wondering if I can go wrong with either of these options.

Thanks!

If you're driving up from Tampa, you can go to a Publix that is just before Disney and on your way to AKL. I can get you the specifics if you want...If you're looking at a map, you get off I-4 onto 429, then a quick right onto Sinclair Rd. The Publix is on the right at the intersection of Sinclair and Old Lake Wilson Rd. When you're done shopping, no need to get back on I-4. You would go north (?) on Old Lake Wilson a few miles, then a left on Morgan Williams and a right on Entry Point, which becomes Sherberth after you cross 192. Make a left at the next light and you're at AKL. (That's not nearly as complicated as it sounds)

If you're driving up from Tampa, you can go to a Publix that is just before Disney and on your way to AKL. I can get you the specifics if you want...If you're looking at a map, you get off I-4 onto 429, then a quick right onto Sinclair Rd. The Publix is on the right at the intersection of Sinclair and Old Lake Wilson Rd. When you're done shopping, no need to get back on I-4. You would go north (?) on Old Lake Wilson a few miles, then a left on Morgan Williams and a right on Entry Point, which becomes Sherberth after you cross 192. Make a left at the next light and you're at AKL. (That's not nearly as complicated as it sounds)
The Publix at the Orange Lake Town Center off US 17-92 near FL 429 would be much easier to get to.

we always use traget becasue of hte redcard 55 discount with a debit card or credit card

Target, in general, would be cheaper than Publix. But Publix has much better ready-to-eat meals, deli, and bakery compared to Target. You do not need a shopper card for Publix. Look for coupon flyers towards the front, or check out the sales circular before you leave. If you are buying more fruits and veggies, it will be cheaper if it's onsale at Publix.

Target, in general, would be cheaper than Publix. But Publix has much better ready-to-eat meals, deli, and bakery compared to Target. You do not need a shopper card for Publix. Look for coupon flyers towards the front, or check out the sales circular before you leave. If you are buying more fruits and veggies, it will be cheaper if it's onsale at Publix.
Publix also offers digital coupons.

http://www.publix.com/savings/coupons/digital-coupons

Depends on what you want. As mentioned, the food at Publix is going to be of higher quality (produce, meats, deli, bakery, etc.), but Target will probably be cheaper for the total bill. Personally, I'm happy to go for quality, but that's just me.

We shop at both Target and Publix. We love Publix for their deli items, the quality is just amazing. We actually usually shop at both, as they're right across the 'street' from each other.

We have done both Target and Publix which are across the highway from each other and only a few miles from AKV (it is actually less than a mile as the crow flies but you cannot go that way). If you are used to shopping for groceries at a Target, you will not find any real difference at this Target. The Publix is a very nice grocery store. I did not find prices at either to be jacked up due to proximity to WDW and as noted above some things cost less at Target and some less at Public, but the differences were not significant, making the Target 5% discount the likely choice if price is key. Also, if you need to buy something other than groceries in the same trip, Target will likelyy have what you need there.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what traffic is like in that area? We usually go to the Winn-Dixie on Vineland-Apopka....Close to Joe's Crab shack and Down Town Disney. I really dislike going there from BoardWalk. We did come upon a Publix by mistake when visiting another store....but that was even further out and not easy to get back from. Are the exit/entrance ramps a nightmare? It looks like you don't have to get on I-4 to get there.

Publix is the superior store for selection and service. We live in Orlando and shop at Publix regularly. We have compared prices at Publix to others (Wal-Mart and Target). They are sometimes lower, sometimes higher, often the same.

That Publix is one of the nicest grocery stores I've ever seen. We love stopping there on our drive from MCO to stock up our Villa for our stay. :earsboy:

When we flew into Tampa we took the opportunity to stop at Trader Joes for supplies. So I recommend that. :) Maybe bring a refrigerated bag and some icepacks.

As for being in town and getting groceries, I do like Publix. But I love the one in Celebration. Swanky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter