Staying a week w/o car

amybowles9

Earning My Ears
Hello every, I have been lurking, but this is my first post.

I know many of you stay on disney property and dont have a rental car. We are going in late Jan. and are not getting a car. I am getting a little nervous.

Do Disney shuttle busses go to Downtown Disney???
And--what do you do when you are not at the parks???

Thank You

Amy :wave:

We have gone in excess of 10+ times in the past 6-7 years and have NEVER rented a car. Didn't see the point really, we stay on property and Disney will shuttle you to all the parks, DTD. Universal never appealled to us and we are happy to eat on property, so we really didn't ever need a car. When we aren't at the parks we are enjoying our hotel. We have stayed at moderates and deluxes and always take a day or so to just relax by the pool, rent the watermice, etc.

Don't worry about it! You'll be fine and have lots of fun! :cool1:

we never have a car..its me hubby and two children...the busses take you to downtown disney and believe me..you wont need a car...so much to do..so much to see...dont sweat it!!!

amybowles9 said:
Do Disney shuttle busses go to Downtown Disney???
And--what do you do when you are not at the parks???
Buses go everywhere, just not always directly.

Hmmm, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, downtown disney, disneyquest, cirque, boardwalk area, golf, water sports, over 300 places to eat, over 20 resorts that you could visit, arcades, parades, fireworks...

Some resorts have many things to keep you occupied - many have activities at the resorts.

Amy

First WELCOME to the DIS

I have taken many trips to WDW, while I drive my personal car after we park at the resort we have had many trips that the only time we have seen the car was when we are leaving to go home.

Yes Disney has shuttle busses that go to Downtown Disney, each water park as well as all the Parks. They can and do provide all your transportation needs some services are better than others but you will be able to get there and back again.

We've always rented a car, except our most recent trip a couple of weeks ago. We decided to try Tiffany Town Car instead of renting a car, and it really worked out well for us. We are planning a 9 day trip in May and decided not to get a car. I'd rather spend that extra money on other things!! :D

Thanks so much everyone. My nervousness is fading!! I really appreciate your help!

Amy :wave:

DS5 :moped:

Amy,

I felt just like you my first trip. I'm from rural California where public transportation just doesn't exist, so I had NO idea how to use a transportation system. I think we would have rented a car if friends of ours from here hadn't just returned and told us how great the Disney transport was. They were right. We didn't need a car. First, we booked a town car for round trip airport trans. I was GREAT!! Lots of fun to have a private car to pick you up and take you to the resort. Then we used buses, boats, and monorails to go everywhere we wanted. There is so much to do at Disney that we never wanted to leave for off site.

You can take it from a person who is totally unfamilar with regular mass transit, Disney transportation is fun and easy to use. Sometimes you have to be a bit patient as you wait, but you're in Disney, so being patient is easier somehow.

Shelly

We went once with a car and never once used it. We went the second time without and did just fine. We never needed it. WE will hve our car on our next trip only because we will be visiting family along the way.

For many years we rented a car. We still do as we sometimes go off site to go shopping, picking up friends at the airport, etc. There are some advantages to using WDW transportation--like when you return to your resort and you don't have to pay for valet parking, or circle around looking for a spot in the hinterlands then take the loonnngg hike to your room. :D

With great Disney transportation, you won't need a car....besides, won't it be nice to let someone else do the driving for a change ;)

Ok...I am so torn about this. We are planning one day at Universal (shh..don't tell Mickey) and we need transport from/to airport. I'm thinking by the time we use a towncar service and a cab to Universal we'll be paying for a rental car. Am I right? So confused!

We never get a car at WDW. When we are there, we kind of want to escape reality and every place we want/need to go, we can get to by disney transportation.

Just guessing about Dizagain's question: Isn't she at about $150-$175 with the town car and the cab to Universal? Dizagain have you checked the transportation board? They should be able to answer your question. :earsboy:

If you are planning to go offsite - especially to Universal - I would rent a car. We've found rental car deals that rival town car rates. If you go to Universal w/out a car, you either pay through the nose for a cab/towncar, or you use Mears. We did that once and will NEVER do that again.

We like having a car, as we'll spend some time at the outlets and a few off property restaurants that we love.

hello! my name is also amy and this is also my first post...

i am eighteen and visited wdw about 20 times with my parents, who are dvc members. we have always rented a car or have brought our own car via the autotrain. while we do occasionally use disney transportation, we have found that having a car allows us to get around much more efficiently - especially when traveling between the resorts. if you plan to connect to another resort through the buses at downtown disney, allow yourself plenty of time as this can take well over an hour, in my experience. if you have any other questions on the subject, i'd be happy to share my experience.

-amy

Two new posters on the same thread! Welcome.
You will find many different opinions on any number of subjects here and people are just as passionate one way or the other.

We have went at least 9-10 times and never rented a car and never missed it. We enjoy the transportation singing, laughing and talking with people we would never meet in our car. Half of our fun is figuring out different ways to get from point a to point b. We don't hurry on vacation so we always have time to get there. And I don't believe we have ever run out of things to do on property.

Detroit area here... public transportation is nonexistant due to the car industry. While I live in a very small town neither of us live anywhere near our work or hockey rinks. Being that I spend a minimum of an hour and a half in the car every day, 3 1/2 hours on a hockey night, the last thing I want to do on vacation is DRIVE! We love starting our vacation at the airport the minute the limo service picks us up! If there is a situation where we need to be someplace quickly we can and have grabbed a cab, but even adding in cab fare/tip (when needed) and town car fare/tip we are still below what a car rental would cost for even an economy car.
Debbie

We have been to Disney World five times and never wished we had a car. Disney's transportation system in the best in the United States - trust it! Everything you will need - you can get by with their transportation.

Save the money and enjoy your trip!

:mickeybar

well, just to balance this thread--we always rent a car, and wouldn't do it any other way. We live in a fairly small town and do not spend hours in our car commuting while at home, so have no need to "escape" that. (My dh rides his bike to work every day.) We don't care to wait for buses. Vacation is too short to stand around and wait for a bus that may or may not have a seat for us. I do have to say, though, it would be nice to meet more people while there, so if the bus helps you do that, that is nice. :)

We dine at other resorts frequently, and going resort to resort is long and time consuming on the buses. If you didn't do this as often as we do, you would have less need for a car. We don't want to take a taxi to go to dinner every night either. If you will mainly be spending your time in the parks, you will have less need for a car than we do.

We always go off property at least once to Seaworld, so that also factors in to our decision. We like the idea that we are "masters of our own fate"--that we can go,--or not go--anywhere we want at anytime. If there was any kind of emergency, we would have access to a car immediately.

Where you stay on property also might persuade you. I have heard some resorts have longer commute time.

Picking up and returning rental cars has never been a hassle for us. Neither is parking--at resorts we valet. (free all day at all resorts after paying once at any resort)

So, my advice for people is: if you will be going to other resorts a lot, or off property at all and you are the type who likes to be in charge of your own fate (car is always ready to go, and very comfortable) then you should rent. If you don 't mind taking buses and will only be going to the parks, and you are staying in a very convenient resort, the buses might be fun for you.

No matter what you decide, hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter