• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stay on ship or get off?

The best advice I can give for a first time cruiser is too book excursions through disney and choose what ever looks interesting to you. Each port has different options, and if you are going on a disney excursion, the port doesn't matter as much because it's less likely you'll be spending time there.

Neg58: Would be good advice if "the world" were places other than these Ports of call:)

Actually we're taking the W carribean on the Fntasy in October and I've gone over all the Disney sponsored excursions any # of times and except for Castaway, nothing jumps out to me to really want to see and then regret missing!!

And no way I'd go anywhere "on my own"----

We just got off the Fantasy cruise on Saturday and we got off at each port and did things on our own. We took taxis, buses, and walked, and we had a great time and felt perfectly safe.

In Grand Cayman, we took a public bus (more like a van) to Public Beach on 7 Mile Beach. The bus was 1/2 the price of a taxi, and quicker, and it was fun to ride with locals.

At Cozumel, we took a taxi to Paradise Beach, which we loved.

At Costa Maya, we simply walked off the ship to the large pool between Senor Frog & Carlos and Charlies. The kids loved splashing around the giant pool. We talked about taking a taxi to the nearby town and visiting their beach, but we decided to get back to the ship early.

Mike

At least try Cabo! Very, very friendly, easy to walk around the port area. Bright, clean, and cheerful.

Been there, done it. Don't want to hassle with the tendering, tendering. We are only there till 1:30. If I am up before 10 I will be angry at myself. Nope no Cabo for me and I am so fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

We have been to Nassau several times so when we are there again this winter we will stay on the Dream. We have not sail on the Dream, and it's only a four night cruise so we want to do as much exploring of the ship as we can.

If we have never been to one of the ports we do an excursion and will shop/explore the city if there is time.

Nothing wrong with stayin on the ship and exploring while the majority of the people are off.

We always get off the ship- do a Disney tour and you'll be fine. I think our family is one of the few who do not cruise for sea days. We love port days! :)

We always get off the ship- do a Disney tour and you'll be fine. I think our family is one of the few who do not cruise for sea days. We love port days! :)

We are part of the few too! Even though I have not been 'bored', I worry about what to do on sea days........

I totally agree with all of you. I do think it would be best to get off the ship. But I would only want to do a disney excursion. Since being alone, I dont want to wander off or get lost or anything. I have heard bad things about Nassau and wonderful things about Castaway Cay. I guess I will just look at the disney excursions that interest me, and sign up :thumbsup2 Thanks eveyone!

Just curious as to what most of you cruisers do on a port day? Do many of you do excursions and leave the ship, or would you rather stay on the ship? Is there enough activities going on on these days, or are the activities mainly for sea days? Maybe it just depends on what port you are in. Well I would be traveling solo and have heard stories about tourists getting robbed and such. I would love some feedback, the good and the bad.

Thanks in advance!

We just sailed on the Fantasy March 23-30 on the 7 day cruise and when we came to St. Thomas we stayed on board and enjoyed the pools!!! We could not enjoy the pools on sea days because they were too crowded!!!

Well let me say this. I am about to take a 14 night cruise on the Wonder. Our 1st port is Castaway. I will get off there only because I like to have lunch at the adult beach. After that I will not be getting off till we get to Los Angeles. I am cruising for relaxing, eating, and drinking. I can't relax if I am trying to see ports.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

At least try Cabo! Very, very friendly, easy to walk around the port area. Bright, clean, and cheerful.

AAN1701 I think we will be on the same cruise!!! I will definately be visiting Castaway Cay......LOVE that place!

However, for the rest of the ports, I'm not sure about them and might be on the ship with you. I am traveling with my 83 year old mom, and she isn't thrilled about any of our ports. I said we were going to walk off the ship, see if there is anything in walking distance and see what we can, and get back on.

Since over50visits suggested Cabo as bright, clean & cheerful.....I think we'll do well there. I want to find a Puerto Vallarta sign & have our picture taken in front of it - there is a restaurant in our area with that name, and we go there all the time...now we can hit the REAL one!

The first time we are in a new port we try to take an excursion that gives us a good overall view. The second time we debarked for a walk around the town (when possible), then enjoy the quiet ship. A cruise with few excursions is the only way to relax.

AAN1701 I think we will be on the same cruise!!! I will definately be visiting Castaway Cay......LOVE that place!

However, for the rest of the ports, I'm not sure about them and might be on the ship with you. I am traveling with my 83 year old mom, and she isn't thrilled about any of our ports. I said we were going to walk off the ship, see if there is anything in walking distance and see what we can, and get back on.

Since over50visits suggested Cabo as bright, clean & cheerful.....I think we'll do well there. I want to find a Puerto Vallarta sign & have our picture taken in front of it - there is a restaurant in our area with that name, and we go there all the time...now we can hit the REAL one!

I'm on the PC cruise too, with my 77 year old mother and 79 year old cousin. We are all excited about getting off and visiting Cartagena and Cabo and PV. I've scheduled us on one tour in PV for tequilla making and church visiting and it includes a 1 mile walk. No one gets to sit this out.

Nancy

Nope. Actually I now hate Cabo. I remember when it used to be this nice little hidden gem. Then Hollywood found it. Now it's overpriced. No thanks. Not planing on stepping on land again after Castaway till I get to Los Angeles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter