• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

stay at the mco or Port Canaveral at the night before cruise

natxie

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a hotel. Where should we stay? Kids are 12, 10, 8.
Which place are better to stay? Thanks!

Depends when you get in, if late evening Stay at the airport.

If you get in early, make a day of it to the port, say via Kennedy Space centre or the beach.

Depends when you get in, if late evening Stay at the airport.

If you get in early, make a day of it to the port, say via Kennedy Space centre or the beach.
And if they sail on the Fantasy, they could go watch the Dream sail away on Friday. Talk about anticipation !

When are you landing? We love the airport Hyatt. And always ask for courtyard view, its fun to watch the people down below coming and going. But if I had an entire day to kill, i'd spend it down at Port C on the beach.

The airport Hyatt is quite nice, we stayed there coming and going. However, we had a late arrival on Friday and an early flight on Sunday. If we had significantly more time, I'd maybe stay somewhere near the beach or with a better pool or a Disney resort.

We chose to stay at the MCO Hyatt for our upcoming cruise so that we could take a later flight in to give us more of the day to get ready and not have to get up early. We live about an hour from the airport with good traffic (which basically doesn't exist) and you have to be there at least 2 hours ahead of the flight so we get picked up by the airport shuttle 3.5-4 hours before a flight depending on who else they have to pick up. Not fun when your flight leaves at 10 am. Since we also have no intention of getting a car and will be going to WDW after the cruise, it seemed the most convenient. We usually do WDW before our cruises so this is the first time doing it cruise first. We get in about 7:15 pm, will check in, drop the bags, get dinner, relax and have a leisurely breakfast in the am before getting the DCL bus to the port. Least amount of fuss IMO.

I love staying at MCO and are planning on it this time since we arrive at 8:30pm. Plus the fact we can leave all our luggage (minus our carryon) in our hotel room and Disney will come get it and bring it to the port (that is if you sign up for it when you check in at the Hyatt and they hand you a piece of paper to fill out and give to CMs when you check in the next morning to take disney transportation to the port). We've done this last time and doing it this time because it is so convenient not to lug all our suitcases around.

We always stay at the Hyatt at the airport. We love the ride to port on the buses with Disney playing on the TVs. The biggest plus to us...if you are on the first buses, the bus passengers are let into the terminal before those waiting in the parking garage or drop off. Last trip, I was, literally, the first person up the escalator and into the check in area. Personal preference, I guess.

The airport Hyatt is quite nice, we stayed there coming and going. However, we had a late arrival on Friday and an early flight on Sunday. If we had significantly more time, I'd maybe stay somewhere near the beach or with a better pool or a Disney resort.

We also love the Hyatt MCO for the night before the cruise. This will be the first time we will be returning to the Hyatt on disembarkation and also have an early flight Sunday morning.
I'm wondering - did you have to schlep your luggage up front at the airport to airline check-in and then come all the way back to the security checkpoint (right by the hotel) ?

We also love the Hyatt MCO for the night before the cruise. This will be the first time we will be returning to the Hyatt on disembarkation and also have an early flight Sunday morning.
I'm wondering - did you have to schlep your luggage up front at the airport to airline check-in and then come all the way back to the security checkpoint (right by the hotel) ?

Yes, you do need to handle your own luggage unfortunately. The Hyatt will not check it in for you like they do for the cruise.

We stayed at a nice, yet affordable, hotel near the airport with free shuttle and breakfast. We spent the day taking public transport to/from one of the character outlet stores.
Next morning, breakfast then early shuttle to airport to be on the first DCL bus (extra cost) to the port :)
When we got there, we were the first group and the terminal was quiet. Made it easy to check in, get a good seating spot and see the model ship at leisure :)

Airport Hyatt for sure as long as you aren't getting in super early in the day. It makes the process seamless and easy.

We liked the Homewood Suites by MCO. We got a 2 bedroom suite which was perfect since DD still goes to bed very early but the rest of the family likes to stay up and talk.

There's a free shuttle to and from the airport, walking distance to several dinner restaurants and free hot breakfast. The price was much less than the Hyatt.

I agree with pp that taking Disney transportation was very nice. With a party of 4, is a wash in terms of cost compared to private transport.

We are staying at Hyatt MCO.
Do you guys have a recommendation for dinner? One of the resturants is closed.

Last edited:
We are arriving the night before the cruise and staying at the Hyatt as well. Sounds convenient. How is Disney transportation set up when you arrive day before? Is there a certain time that they pick you up? Sorry to ask another question on your thread just unsure of how to go about doing this when flight arrives the day before.

Embassy Suites Airport is a great choice as well, since I noticed you have 3 kids. We have stayed there many times where you can get the 2 bed, plus sleeper sofa in the living area, and much more space for a family of 5. Free shuttle, very close to airport. If you are using Magical Express, just hop on the shuttle back to airport, or rent a car, or hire a service to pick you up. If arriving for dinner, their restaurant is good, huge atrium with restaurant and bar, etc. Happy hour (free drinks) late afternoon, and free breakfast makes for a leisurely start to the vacation. They have a pool also.

We are arriving the night before the cruise and staying at the Hyatt as well. Sounds convenient. How is Disney transportation set up when you arrive day before? Is there a certain time that they pick you up? Sorry to ask another question on your thread just unsure of how to go about doing this when flight arrives the day before.

We have done this each time we have cruised. We are always wanting to get on the ship as early as we can, so here is how we go. Adjust as you'd like.

Before you go to bed, pack your day bag to take with you onboard(meds, sunscreen, suits, any alcohol, and travel documents). The Hyatt folks will pick your other bags up inside your room between 8/8:30. We usually travel with granola bars, etc and have a light breakfast as we get ready(remember, there is a HUGE buffet waiting for you onboard). They no longer do onboard check in at the airport so you just need to go downstairs in the terminal to the Magical Express area( tons on signs directing you to the right place). The first buses will load at 9:00 and depart as soon as they fill, so around 9:15. We always go down in time to make the first bus. If this does not interest you, you can have a leisurely breakfast in the hotel or terminal and make your way to the ME area anytime. Bottom line...get on a bus, watch Disney's pre trip video, and relax. Your bags will magically arrive in your stateroom onboard.

Do you guys have a recommendation for dinner? One of the resturants is closed.

Depends on what time you arrive!

Almost all the airport food is on the OUTSIDE of security. By the time we had our luggage it was 9:45 and we were very grateful that chick-fil-a would feed us!

More genteel options include Chili's, Macaroni Grill and a few others, I think.

We ENJOYED our dinner at McCoy's the night we got off the ship. (We visited Kennedy Space Center and spent the night at the airport for an early Sunday flight.) Dinner at McCoy's was SLOW, but we enjoyed the food.

We got the bed and breakfast package, so we enjoyed the buffet breakfast at McCoys before getting on the ship. It wasn't cheap, but it was a good buffet.

We are looking to stay at the Hyatt at mco for our upcoming October cruise. I am also hoping to maybe snag an upgrade. Does anyone know what time we should be downstairs to make sure we get on the first bus? Also, can we leave the luggage in our room if we go old own before they pick it up or should one of us wait with the bags?

One more question, if you board the disney bus transportation at 9:15 will you be able to go directly into the terminal or do you wait in the parking lot at the terminal?
I'm trying to decide if we should go w/happy limo or bus??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter