Stateroom review..how much faith do you put in the Passporter?

bsusanmb

Childhood sweethearts married on the Magic 6/2/13
I decided to do a category 9 this cruise since we never used our veranda on the last cruise...I was assigned room 2092 when I booked with Dreams Unlimited, which is on the port side, and I really wanted starboard this time...but I thought what the heck...it's just a room...

So, I was reading my Passporter and the reviews for category 9 say to avoid rooms 2000-2004, 2036-2044,m 2078-2096, 2114-2129, 2140-2152, 2500-2508, 2586-2600, 2626 and 2630-2653, and avoid all connecting rooms...all due to constant noise and vibration...WOW, that surely limits the rooms!

So, now what do I do about 2092? I originally wanted 2552...and it is still available.

But is this deck is that noisy, I may just have to upgrade to a different categoy. Maybe I should mention that DH and I are both 58..a young 58 and we enjoy kids, have 4 toddler grandchildren, one of whom lives with us. So kid noise isn't a big issue to us.

What do you think? Do you put a lot of faith into these reviews? I check on the stateroom reviews on the dis - Dreams Unlimited, but the reviews for the rooms I was looking at are very old.

Thanks in advance,
Susan

I decided to do a category 9 this cruise since we never used our veranda on the last cruise...I was assigned room 2092 when I booked with Dreams Unlimited, which is on the port side, and I really wanted starboard this time...but I thought what the heck...it's just a room...

So, I was reading my Passporter and the reviews for category 9 say to avoid rooms 2000-2004, 2036-2044,m 2078-2096, 2114-2129, 2140-2152, 2500-2508, 2586-2600, 2626 and 2630-2653, and avoid all connecting rooms...all due to constant noise and vibration...WOW, that surely limits the rooms!

So, now what do I do about 2092? I originally wanted 2552...and it is still available.

But is this deck is that noisy, I may just have to upgrade to a different category. Maybe I should mention that DH and I are both 58..a young 58 and we enjoy kids, have 4 toddler grandchildren, one of whom lives with us. So kid noise isn't a big issue to us.

What do you think? Do you put a lot of faith into these reviews? I check on the stateroom reviews on the dis - Dreams Unlimited, but the reviews for the rooms I was looking at are very old.

Thanks in advance,
Susan
Passporter is very accurate, but they haven't been in every room, they have to get reports form other contributors. They test a few and then 'group' them into a category, such as if someone reported noise in one room with a connecting door, 'all' will be like it.

I haven't been on that deck, but once had a connecting room, but it didn't cause any ''constant noise and vibration''

we've been in a cat 9 twice and never had a problem with noise, while you can hear some noise it was never really an issue.

But if you want to change, ask DU - they will do it for you.

We just booked a cat 8 but the room they allocated didn't have a steamer trunk (we found it useful last time) so our rep changed it for us.

I checked the dis reviews of our new room and it seems OK. Didn't think to check passporter.

I was a little skeptical with their "rooms to avoid" list. If you look at a map, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It covers pretty much all areas of deck 2. Personally, I prefer to be on the upper decks. We were on deck 6 last cruise, and are there again for April. I really need it quiet. We live in the middle of nowhere at home so it is always very quiet when we sleep.

I haven't found the "noisy" rooms to be accurate. We've sailed 16 times. I've had problems with noisy guests in nearby rooms, but never a problem with ship noise even when we were in a "room to avoid."

I'd also suspect that these lists are more up to date than the passporter. List your room and see if someone has sailed in it recently.

The minute you change rooms, you will find a new review for the room you changed to saying it's bad. Don't sweat it! There are many posters who LOVE deck two. I've stayed in a 9 on deck 1 and loved it.

Hi bsusanmb!

We had a room in this group. We were booked into a GTD room, so didn't have a choice in it, and had it assigned to us. I was also worried about the "noise" from the Passporter review, but I needn't have worried.

Later at night, we both heard a constant thump. We decided it must have been music from the nightclub. We both heard it, but it was *nothing* obnoxious or loud enough to keep us from sleeping.

You'll probably notice it, because you're now listening for it. But, for us, it was not loud enough to be of any concern.

Hope that helps!

But if you want to change, ask DU - they will do it for you.

We just booked a cat 8 but the room they allocated didn't have a steamer trunk (we found it useful last time) so our rep changed it for us.

I checked the dis reviews of our new room and it seems OK. Didn't think to check passporter.

How do you find out if your room has a steamer trunk? Is that listed somewhere? Our last room SPH 5020 didn't have and I really missed it...

I found the DIS and WDWinfo were more accurate than the Passporter concerning room evaluations.

My suggestion is to go with a SPH room or go with a category 8. But that is me, I wasn't thrilled with cat. 9 on deck 2...

Passporter is accurate but you also have to take in account that people are different-- what bothers some might not be noticed by others.

My suggestion is to go with a SPH room or go with a category 8. But that is me, I wasn't thrilled with cat. 9 on deck 2...

What is an SPH room? There aren't any cat 8 left...only cat 7 and cat 5.
We were cat 6 on the 5th floor and it was very very quiet...we were in the very last cat 6 with veranda on the port side. The price difference between a 9 and a 7 is $400. DOn't know if it is worth $400 for a 4 night cruise.
But then again, if I am going to hear a constant thump, I am guessing like a bass noise in the club? it might be better to switch.

Oh, decisions, decisions...:confused3

We had room 2070 last year and it was fantastic,no problems with noise at all, didnt notice it anyway

What is an SPH room? There aren't any cat 8 left...only cat 7 and cat 5.
We were cat 6 on the 5th floor and it was very very quiet...we were in the very last cat 6 with veranda on the port side. The price difference between a 9 and a 7 is $400. DOn't know if it is worth $400 for a 4 night cruise.
But then again, if I am going to hear a constant thump, I am guessing like a bass noise in the club? it might be better to switch.

Oh, decisions, decisions...:confused3

Want an outside stateroom at an inside cabin price? Book a "secret porthole" stateroom!

This is a little-known secret: there are six staterooms on Deck 5 that are sold as Category 10 inside staterooms, but actually are outside cabins with obstructed view portholes. By selecting one of these cabins, you will get a little natural light and possibly a slight view, while paying the lower price for an inside stateroom!

The obstruction is caused by safety equipment that has been hung in front of the portholes, and the amount by which these portholes is obstructed varies. Don't count on being able to see much. Also, be aware that there is frequently a light on all night outside the porthole, so you'll have to close your curtains tightly to keep it dark in the cabin.

The Secret Porthole staterooms are conveniently located near the kids' activity centers, Flounder's Reef Nursery and the Buena Vista Theater. There are relatively few passenger staterooms on this deck, so there is less potential for foot traffic and noise. (The majority of Category 10 staterooms without secret portholes can be found on lower decks and may be located under the adult nightclubs with dance floors and live bands.)

Of the six Secret Porthole rooms, there are two pairs of connecting staterooms. For families of 5, this is an affordable alternative to booking a more pricey Category 4

Word has gotten out a bit about these staterooms, so you'll have to book well in advance to snag one. The cabins to request are 5020, 5520, 5022 and 5024 (connecting), 5522 and 5524 (connecting).

If the difference is only $400 then go for the better room. :) especially if its a cat 7

I love stateroom 2002, I have requested this room again. It is noisy, but only when docking into port. I think of it as a wakeup call. You can here the performers practicing and here the shows at night but I am usually not in the room at that time.

It all boils down to "your mileage may vary" scenario.....as another poster said...what bothers one person may not even be noticed by another. We have stayed all over Deck 2 over 10 different cruises and I never had a room that had problems. My fav on Deck 2 is 2546...very convenient.

Only you know if it is worth it to spend $400 for a Cat 7.

For example of "your mileage may vary". Many people complained to DCL that 4 cabins on Deck 6 and 7 (2 on each should not be priced at Category 6 prices because of a slight obstruction on the veranda. What bothered many people turned into a bonus for others (including me). DCL lowered the price of the those 4 cabins to a Cat 7 price....but they are really Cat 6's with a slight corner obstruction. So, what really bothered some people, was a bonus to me. I have one of those cabins booked for our October cruise and couldn't be happier!!!

Here is a pic of the staterooms I was talking about....I have to give credit to Barb of these boards, this is her pic and shows an excellent view of these rooms.

secretverandarooms-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter