• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stateroom outlets

Kissey

Earning My Ears
I'm confused. I've heard there are three outlets: one in the bathroom that can't be used for anything but shavers (could I plug a nightlight in there?), one by the bed, but it has a european plug that can't be used without some sort of adaptor, and then the one behind the television. Is this correct?

Is the only outlet I'll be able to use is the one behind the television?
Thanks!

I'm confused. I've heard there are three outlets: one in the bathroom that can't be used for anything but shavers (could I plug a nightlight in there?), one by the bed, but it has a european plug that can't be used without some sort of adaptor, and then the one behind the television. Is this correct?

Is the only outlet I'll be able to use is the one behind the television?
Thanks!

You won't be able to plug anything into the bathroom outlet except a shaver. It is a different type of outlet. I thought I remembered an outlet on the vanity but perhaps that was the one behind the TV. I didn't think so though.

We bring a small power strip to maximize the outlets that are present. Between electronic gadgets and my hair dryer we need more outlets than DCL provides.

Our room had the one in the bathroom for razors and one at the desk area which was next to the tv. That's where I plugged in my iron, blow dryer, or flat iron. It worked great because there's a big mirror there and that's where I got ready. I'm not sure if all rooms are like this though. We had a large porthole room.

I agree with the PP ...... bring an extra (or two!) extension cord or power strip. You'll likely need the extra plugs. We did!

Our room had the one in the bathroom for razors and one at the desk area which was next to the tv. That's where I plugged in my iron, blow dryer, or flat iron. It worked great because there's a big mirror there and that's where I got ready. I'm not sure if all rooms are like this though. We had a large porthole room.

Did you bring your own Iron or do they have them on the ship??

Ya know, irons are not allowed in the cabins. :scared1: Irons get hot; hot irons can cause fires; there's no place to run when you're at sea.:firefight

However, there are irons available in the laundry. Or you can do what we do: send it out! pixiedust:

Hmmm...I never knew irons weren't allowed. That was no where on any information I received. Besides, Im a big girl - I know to turn my iron off. My stateroom hostess never left me a note saying I couldn't use my iron. I'm glad I brought it - I ironed our evening clothes on the desk area.

bathrooms have outlets (They say Shavers Only) but other have saud they plug in night lights withotu any issues.

Behind hte TV is one outlet (TV uses the other one).

The vanity next to the TV area has an outlet.

Not sure if any other locations in the room.

Sounds like all cruise ships are about the same.
This is our first Disney cruise coming.
We have learned to always bring extension cords....DH uses a CPAP machine. We have had to string cords across the cabin before to get to the lonely outlet :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I never knew irons weren't allowed. That was no where on any information I received. Besides, I'm a big girl - I know to turn my iron off. My stateroom hostess never left me a note saying I couldn't use my iron. I'm glad I brought it - I ironed our evening clothes on the desk area.

I'm really glad using the iron worked out for you :) and I'm quite surprised the stateroom hostess didn't mention it (maybe she's a strong swimmer?):eek: . I think it's a fairly common rule on most - if not all - cruiselines and not just to promote the use of their pressing services. No one wants to lose a ship!

The DCL website says:
Is there laundry service?
Onboard laundry and dry-cleaning services (with stateroom pickup) are available for a charge. There is also a self-service Guest Laundry Room with coin-operated washers and dryers, along with detergent and ironing equipment. For safety reasons, the provided irons or steamers may be used in the laundry room only; personal irons cannot be brought aboard. [Emphasis added]

I'm not a strong swimmer, so perhaps I'm more attuned to situations that would make me wish I were!:scared:

Maybe if Disney doesn't want irons brought on, they should mention that on some printed information they provide. Not everyone would even check the commonly asked questions section on the website. Oh well, no harm was done on my end. This was our first cruise, so I didn't know.

Oh, there's always something new to learn - that's why we keep reading the same thread topics on the DISboards.

That and we don't have a life!

I second the bringing of extension cords or power strips. I can't plug my hairdryer in at the vanity table in the room because the base of the plug won't fit on the outlet. The outlet is very close to the countertop... I love the idea of a powerstrip, what a great idea!

As for the debate on irons... a little Downy wrinkle releaser does a fine job I find.

Hmmm...I never knew irons weren't allowed. That was no where on any information I received. Besides, Im a big girl - I know to turn my iron off. My stateroom hostess never left me a note saying I couldn't use my iron. I'm glad I brought it - I ironed our evening clothes on the desk area.

Turning them off is not the problem ..... the circuits are not made to handle the amperage of an iron. Using them alone can cause the wiring to overheat.

There are rules about not having personal irons onboard and using the ones provided.

As someone who has been on a cruise ship that had a fire problem in the middle of the Caribbean I follow the ship rules and like it when everyone else does as well.

Just in case you thought that I was pulling your leg about a fire aboard a cruise ship ......

Magicfire.jpg

Anyone recognize this ship?

You won't be able to plug anything into the bathroom outlet except a shaver. It is a different type of outlet.

That's not quite true. The outlet is a standard outlet but just doesn't have the "oomph" to power something like a hairdryer. I used it on my last cruise for a small digital camera battery charger.

I completely agree with your suggestion to bring extension cords. Something I've, regrettably, never done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter