• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stateroom next to elevator - tell me the good, the bad and the ugly

Marthasor

DIS Veteran
I rolled the dice and booked a VGT knowing full-well I might not like the stateroom we were assigned. Well, lo and behold, we were assigned a 5A (woohoo!), right across from an elevator/stairwell. I'm already anticipating a lot of noise and I'm trying to figure out what to do - 1) go with it and hope for the best, 2) "upgrade" from the VGT and pick our stateroom (this will be quite a bit more than what we paid with the VGT). For those who have stayed right next to the elevator or close to it - can you tell me about your experience? Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure you can upgrade out of VGT, except maybe a port upgrade. I had thought they were non-modifiable.

In any case, I would absolutely keep your room. Nothing more convenient than stepping off the elevator and being right at your room. Noise from the hallway happens anywhere.

I rolled the dice and booked a VGT knowing full-well I might not like the stateroom we were assigned. Well, lo and behold, we were assigned a 5A (woohoo!), right across from an elevator/stairwell. I'm already anticipating a lot of noise and I'm trying to figure out what to do - 1) go with it and hope for the best, 2) "upgrade" from the VGT and pick our stateroom (this will be quite a bit more than what we paid with the VGT). For those who have stayed right next to the elevator or close to it - can you tell me about your experience? Thanks!
I'll point out that the elevators are in their own lobby, facing each other, with walls between them and the rooms passageway. The lobby area does have a large, open doorway into the passageway, but, AFAIK, there are no rooms directly in line with the open doors.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I'll point out that the elevators are in their own lobby, facing each other, with walls between them and the rooms passageway. The lobby area does have a large, open doorway into the passageway, but, AFAIK, there are no rooms directly in line with the open doors.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I think ours may be - it's 9062 on the Dream. The deck map could be deceiving, of course, but when looking at it, it looks like the room is just opposite the open doorway to the elevator/stairway area.

I think ours may be - it's 9062 on the Dream. The deck map could be deceiving, of course, but when looking at it, it looks like the room is just opposite the open doorway to the elevator/stairway area.
What you don't see on the deck plan is the wall that extends down the inside wall of the passageway, sort of separating the elevators from the rooms. And the doors to the elevators are on the inside.

It does look like your room door may be close to the opening, but I still wouldn't worry about it.

What you don't see on the deck plan is the wall that extends down the inside wall of the passageway, sort of separating the elevators from the rooms. And the doors to the elevators are on the inside.

It does look like your room door may be close to the opening, but I still wouldn't worry about it.

View attachment 626378

Thank you SO much for this!! That was so nice of you to post this visual for me - I really appreciate it.

Ditto what everyone else said, I wouldn’t worry about it (and I’m very sensitive to noise and like things quiet).

If you just got your room assignment I’m assuming you are cruising soon, with reduced capacity. When I sailed on the Wonder in October, I rarely encountered anyone near the stairs or elevators. So I think the reduced crowds will work in your favor.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've sailed 7 times, with staterooms all over the ships, and the only real noise issues I've had were due to the neighbors: a crying baby, a couple having a domestic disturbance (yep- security had to deal with it), a group of boys who were given their own stateroom across the hall from us who were often loudly talking and laughing in the hallway & going in and out of their stateroom.

Those disturbances are luck of the draw and have nothing to do with where your stateroom is. Don't worry. People don't typically make much noise on the landing next to the elevator. Stateroom doors are heavy, and your bed and living area are also not right next to the door, so that helps, as well.

Thought this thread was about Disney World and not DCL. 😂 I was gonna say.. the families start stomping out of their rooms at 6am and that's a high traffic area so prepare thyself. But on a cruise? You're fine.

I had this exact room but one floor up on the dream and had no issues whatsoever with noise so you should be totally fine barring any loud neighbors/etc.

We have had staterooms very near the elevator as well and will again on an upcoming cruise next year. We have never had any issues with noise coming from that area and are not concerned for our next cruise. We've had some staterooms located pretty much centered between the two nearest banks of elevators either side of us; and had more noise coming from the hallway then.

We loved being right near the elevator. It was so convenient and I don't recall any excess noise.

We book the rooms adjacent to the (midship) elevator lobby by choice. Our favorite location. On 20 DCL cruises, we’ve been in the location 17 times. Only once have we experienced anything out of the ordinary in terms of noise or traffic. The one time, there was a large group of pre-teens who were playing rambunctious games on the stairway. The third time that happened, we called Guest Services and a crew member came by and encouraged them to take all that energy up to the sports court. Otherwise, we’ve been very pleased with this location. We have staterooms in that location booked for 9 more cruises from next January through April of 2023 (it’s been a long pandemic).

We exclusively book rooms in the direct stairwell, last Fantasy cruise we booked 6662 and 6660 on the Aft Starboard side. We love the easiness of getting to the staircase/elevator and noise has always been minimal to nonexistent!

it started from traveling with a stroller that was a bit too wide for the hallway, it made it easy to go from
lobby to the room without having to fold and walk it down the narrow hallway. The added benefit of being next to the Aft or Forward elevators is there is usually little to no wait, as midship seems to be the busiest set of elevators

There could be some noise as people get off the elevator and head down your hall, but it shouldn't be bad. We only had an issue in a room like this on deck 5 on the side where you'd head towards the kids' clubs.

We do travel with a sound machine, so almost nothing bothers us at night. I recommend it.

We exclusively book rooms in the direct stairwell, last Fantasy cruise we booked 6662 and 6660 on the Aft Starboard side. We love the easiness of getting to the staircase/elevator and noise has always been minimal to nonexistent!

it started from traveling with a stroller that was a bit too wide for the hallway, it made it easy to go from
lobby to the room without having to fold and walk it down the narrow hallway. The added benefit of being next to the Aft or Forward elevators is there is usually little to no wait, as midship seems to be the busiest set of elevators
Hi Juan, I've been having trouble finding any posts about stateroom 6662 on the Fantasy and then I came across this one. We have this stateroom booked. Can you confirm it has the pull down bunk? Thanks!

We've stayed in a stateroom across from elevator and stairwell lobby area and had no noticeable noise issues. Only issue is sometimes there can be a lot of foot traffic so when exiting your stateroom you can almost run into people rounding the lobby corner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter