Stateroom for the seasick

Some people don't like the "wiggle" down low. Some people don't like the pitch and roll up high. Every person is different. I'm more likely to feel uncomfortable in the stores on Deck 3 of the Dream Class in mild seas than I am in 20+ foot seas in Concierge. I'm one of those weirdos who loves crossing the Gulf Stream in 55+ mph apparent headwinds, with 18' seas.

how about good remedies for my kids? just in case. bonine for kids?
They make Dramamine for children, but I've never had to use it (maybe put in a call to their dr. if it's ok w/ him keep some on hand just incase). IDK how old your kids are but typically younger kids (5ish and under) have no problem w/ motion sickness.

The people saying Bonine doesn't work for them, are you taking enough (2 pills/day spaced 12 hrs apart) and are you starting 2 days before sailing? Are you keeping sea bands on your wrists 24/7 while on the ship?
I ask because I know a boat load of people that use this same method and have no problems. (boat load LOL!)

i do get car sick if i read in the car (or look at my cell phone for too long while in the car). i actually felt sick at DCA back in September. rode screamin' for the first time with dd10 and then TOT right after. i started to feel horrible afterwards. i was thinking it was the rides. it was a hot day, so wasn't sure if it was maybe being partly dehydrated. we went back to the hotel to lay down. i took a couple of Tylenol and an hour nap...but that didn't really help.

OK. Thanks for answering my question. So in a way, this is good news. If you have some history of motion sickness, you have some history (successful and unsuccessful) of how to deal with it. And, you have an opportunity between now and your cruise to try some things that might work for you. Try Bonine before a long car trip (At least an hour before starting the trip, or perhaps one the night before and one that morning), or if you fly in an airplane. See if it helps. If not, try other things. I like what you said about hydration. I think this could be a factor. To me, I am more likely to get motion sickness when I am hot and dehydrated. I find carbonated beverages work better for me than water, don't know if that will be true for you. Good luck! Enjoy!

Last edited:
We just got of the Disney Dream this past Friday we had rough winds on our first night (Monday) and was smooth the rest of the cruise, we were on the 6th floor with a veranda. I was fine the whole time we were on the ship. We got home late Friday night and went straight to bed, I woke up with dizziness and what feels like sea legs. I am off balance and have even fell a couple times when bending over to pick things up. This was our 5th cruise and I have NEVER had this feeling before. I started googling this and sure enough there is other people that experience this (I forget the technical name for it), from what I have read it can take anywhere from a week to 3 or more months to go away. I hope it goes away before I have to return to work!

OK. Thanks for answering my question. So in a way, this is good news. If you have some history of motion sickness, you have some history (successful and unsuccessful) of how to deal with it. And, you have an opportunity between now and your cruise to try some things that might work for you. Try Bonine before a long car trip (At least an hour before starting the trip, or perhaps one the night before and one that morning), or if you fly in an airplane. See if it helps. If not, try other things. I like what you said about hydration. I think this could be a factor. To me, I am more likely to get motion sickness when I an hot and dehydrated. I find carbonated beverages work better for me than water, don't know if that will be true for you. Good luck! Enjoy!

good point about testing things out. we are likely spending thanksgiving with family about 1 hr and 15 mins away next week. i will get some bonine before then and give it a try! also, heading out of town for the holidays so i'll try it again on the plane!

We just got of the Disney Dream this past Friday we had rough winds on our first night (Monday) and was smooth the rest of the cruise, we were on the 6th floor with a veranda. I was fine the whole time we were on the ship. We got home late Friday night and went straight to bed, I woke up with dizziness and what feels like sea legs. I am off balance and have even fell a couple times when bending over to pick things up. This was our 5th cruise and I have NEVER had this feeling before. I started googling this and sure enough there is other people that experience this (I forget the technical name for it), from what I have read it can take anywhere from a week to 3 or more months to go away. I hope it goes away before I have to return to work!

my 2 coworkers went on cruises and both came back talking about the "sea legs"...LOL

Mal de Debarquement. My wife gets it if she hops in a car for more than an hour or so after getting off the boat. We have to go to the parks for at least 2 days after disembarking (darn) instead of making the 10 hour drive home so that she can move around and get her land legs back.

Mal de Debarquement. My wife gets it if she hops in a car for more than an hour or so after getting off the boat. We have to go to the parks for at least 2 days after disembarking (darn) instead of making the 10 hour drive home so that she can move around and get her land legs back.
YES that's it!!! I hope this goes away soon, my hubby thinks I am crazy because a cruise never has caused me to be like this before. And darn your wife making you extend your vacation 2 more days...LOL.

Yeah. The sacrifices I make for that woman.
Your a good man OR a smart man. By extending your vacation you don't have to listen to her complain like my poor hubby is listening to me do now. I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I hope this goes away in the next day or so because I have to go back to work Thursday, and I work with micro-preemie babies and would not want to drop one of those precious things.

Most of the queasy producing motion on a cruise is dependent on where the ship is. If the ship is in port, there is no movement. If the seas are fair and ship is moving slowly, there is a little movement. Many people that are susceptible get ill not long after the cruise begins. Sailing out of Miami or PC, the ship crosses the Gulf Stream and a pretty good pace right around the time of the first dinner seating and the first show. Most of us are inside when we notice the movement. Not a good place to be. You get queasy at this point and your first night is shot and you may end up thinking about it the whole trip. The return across the Gulf Stream is very late at night, so most do not notice it.

A three-night cruise is ideal because each day the ship is tied up at the dock.

good point about testing things out. we are likely spending thanksgiving with family about 1 hr and 15 mins away next week. i will get some bonine before then and give it a try! also, heading out of town for the holidays so i'll try it again on the plane!
Please be careful with this. My BIL asked for some of my Bonine so he could work in the car on our drive. He was out in 30 minutes. We got to the house and he tried everything to stay awake at dinner but was nodding off. He finally gave up and went to bed at 7pm. He said never again. This is why people suggest taking it at night or starting a few days ahead of time. I use Bonine at night and ginger pills in the morning.

Please be careful with this.

Good point. Side effects are different for everyone. Personally, I don't find Bonine to be sleep inducing, unlike Dramamine, which definitely makes me tired. The important thing is to find out how it effects you, both side effects and effectiveness against motion sickness before you get on the ship, so that you can get the most enjoyment out of your wonderful cruise!

Bonine maybe makes me a little sleepy but NOTHING like dramamine (and nothing a cup of coffee can't cure).
Some people are ok w/ just taking one in the evening but I have to have take 2 a day (12 hrs apart) and a little sleep is so much better than turning green.

midship, lower deck...is that the best location for a person who gets seasick? Inside or verandah?

Any thoughts from folks out there who sometimes feel a bit queasy on the boat.
We booked our first cruise on the wonder and staying inside deluxe cabin at midship....didn't hear or feel anything thing...we had one night of a storm and even then it was just a very slight rocking feeling

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter