• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stateroom assignment?

murcor

All you need is faith and trust...and a little pix
When booking a Disney Cruise do you

Pick your exact location?

OR

Let Disney assign you a specific stateroom in the category you've selected?

We have done it both ways. First time, we booked a Cat. 8 GTY and ended up in a Cat. 6!! This time, we booked really early and were able to snag one of the SPH rooms so we selected our stateroom number! I would always select my room number unless I was booking a GTY status. I believe the system does not MAKE you pick a room - you can just pick a category and it will assign you the "best available". In this case, I think the system generates rooms starting with the center of the ship (if it's a category that has rooms midship) since those are generally better for less motion and then it works itself out to either end with whatever is available. Of course Cat 7's are only AFT and Cat 8's are only FWD so I think it starts as far midship as it can and works out from that...

They usually automatically put you as a GTY but I am always afraid I will be in a bad spot so I have alwasy booked a specific stateroon. Maybe next time I will do a GTY.

Unless you would be 100% happy with any room in your Cat, I would pick a specific room if you could. Picking a specific room does not lower your chances of getting an unexpected upgrade.

They usually automatically put you as a GTY but I am always afraid I will be in a bad spot so I have alwasy booked a specific stateroon. Maybe next time I will do a GTY.

I think that a "GTY" status is only available once the category has sold out down to a specific level...so you have to keep watch for the cruise to sell out somewhat....

I think that a "GTY" status is only available once the category has sold out down to a specific level...so you have to keep watch for the cruise to sell out somewhat....

When I placed my reservation on disneys webdiste it only stated the catagory. i had to press a button that said Choose specific stateroom. So it is an option you have to select.

What does it mean to book GTY?

Categories sell out as there are limited numbers of cabins in each category. Cruiselines commonly oversell each category by a few rooms knowing from experience that when the final balances are due 75 days out there will be a certain percentage of cancellations. In order to sail a full ship, once a category has basically sold out they will continue to sell rooms in the category and they call them "GTY" which stands for Guaranteed. This means that you will be guaranteed a room in at LEAST this category or possibly you will be upgraded (for free) if they cannot place you in the same category. But they will not DROP the category of your room. It in no way guarantees you an upgrade but I think it might improve your odds of one to have sat in limbo without a room number, letting them choose your room for you once the dust falls at final payment time. We once booked a GTY 11 months out and had to wait 11 months before finding out what category we would end up with - it ended up being worth the wait as we went from a porthole to a verandah but we didn't find out until 2 weeks before we sailed!!

When I placed my reservation on disneys webdiste it only stated the catagory. i had to press a button that said Choose specific stateroom. So it is an option you have to select.

Yes, you have to click the button to choose the room or else the system will select one FOR you...but that's still different from booking in a category that is in "guarantee" status...that's when the category is basically already sold out...it's a little different.

We pick our own cabin based on location. Well, that is what we did the first two times - first time in a Cat 4., second time in a Cat. 6. We loved our Cat. 6 location so much that we've declared it OUR cabin and now that's what we book - our specific cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter