• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting to Worry: Anyone who has sailed Princess or RCCL Voyager?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
After reading ducklite's thread, I'm now questioning my planning for a 7 night western on Disney. It's going to be very expensive, and now I'm thinking that since Disney doesn't offer much for the 18-21 crowd, maybe we should look at a different cruiseline.

From what I have seen, we'd probably consider the RCCL Adventure of the Seas or Golden Princess out of San Juan Southern Caribbean itinerary; and the Caribbean Princess or RCCL's Explorer/Navigator/Mariner.

How are these ships for the 18-21 crowd? How do these ships compare to Disney? Thanks! ;)

:boat:

I can't help you with recommendations for other cruiselines. I can tell you that I have sailed DCL five times - soon to be six with my two daughters. They were 13 and 15 our first time out and are now 18 and 20. They love it more now than when they were younger. They participate in the daily activities, choose their own excursions, sunbathe, go to movies and hit the clubs with or without me in the evening. We have a blast. When I suggested another line for our upcoming cruise, they strongly urged me to stay with DCL. Just my two cents....

Dawn Hope

Just some food for thought...

Anyone 18 and up is going to be considered an "adult" for entertainment purposes. That means that individuals 18+ will be able to attend any adult entertainment offerings on the ship, which are plenty.

I don't think that 18-21 year-olds will have difficulty finding things to amuse themselves at all.

I took my first DCL cruise when I was 22, and I enjoyed it more then any of my Carnival cruises, or RCCL...

I enjoyed the karakoe nights and 70's and 80's night. Also can enjoy the spa, and sun bathing...excursions.. pool, hot tubbing.. laying out and reading... the food.. playing basketball, table tennis, board games, movies, exercise equipement, shows... there is already so much to do on dcl, and being over 18 just means you can do even more!

I'm still fairly young (25) and only cruise DCL. Some people ask me why not RCCL voyager class, be cause it offers so much more to my age group. Voyager class has rock climbing walls, and ice skating.. I don't do either personally, but I guess they are two areas DCL lacks, that a 18-21 year old might enjoy.

As far as activities, I never noticed any structured activities on Carnival or RCCL to the 18-21 age group. There were A LOT more 18-21 year old's on my carnival cruises, but all they did was drink, drink and more drinking. They didn't have "meets" or special areas for that age group only. Weren't really any offerings to that age group in my experience. But then again I was on smaller ships, might be a factor.

I still loved my DCL cruises though and had way more fun on them, and still do.

Check on the drinking age on the other lines you are checking out. A lot more lines are changing the drinking age to 21. The ports can be 18 but the ships will remain to be 21. I know we have two boys who love DCL cruises and they are both 20 but if we offer to take them they would go in a heartbeat. Kathy

Originally posted by DisneyGator01
Voyager class has rock climbing walls, and ice skating.. I don't do either personally, but I guess they are two areas DCL lacks, that a 18-21 year old might enjoy.

It has always amused me at how much the company hypes up these two venues on their ships. Sure, it provides something to do, but really, how many times are you going to climb a rock wall while on a cruise?

that's pretty much how I feel.. it's something someone might enjoy, but how long can you rock climb or ice skate?

It's cool to have, but it wouldn't be a reason why I would choose a cruise line... I don't do any of them personally, but might be a way to sell a vacation to a 18-21 year old who might not think it's too "cool" to go cruising with the parents..

Originally posted by ThreeCircles
It has always amused me at how much the company hypes up these two venues on their ships. Sure, it provides something to do, but really, how many times are you going to climb a rock wall while on a cruise?

That's the same thing that I think when people ask me why we'd take our DSs who will both be teenagers by the time we cruise next summer, on a Disney cruise, rather than one of the Royal Caribbean Voyager-class ships. My DSs aren't particularly interested in ice skating, and maybe they'd try the rock climbing wall once. Don't get me wrong, I love RCI and we're planning to go on the Voyager in 2005, but I still feel that Disney has a LOT to offer. I haven't been on a Disney cruise yet but I can fully understand why adults without children would continue to sail this line.

I think choosing a cruise line can be a pretty personal thing. You'd be surprised at how loyal people can be to their favorite line. But forums such as this one is wonderful because we can research what each line offers, then make an informed decision on what would best suit our families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter