Starting to get ride anxiety!

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
My trip is coming up in 9 days!!! :goodvibes I am beginning to really worry about the Universal portion of my trip!! (Feb 10-13th)....Last night I even contemplated adding an extra day on at Disney and cutting our Universal portion of our trip by a day. My son is saying "Stop reading Mom!!" because I read all I can about a ride and then I am saying to him "I don't know if I will be able to do that one, the drop is "_______" so high etc.... (ripride rockit vertical hill/ Jurassic Park final drop).

Up until about a week ago, I was going to go on FJ, even if I had to close my eyes 90% of the ride! but lately the posts about motion sickness have me very worried and I had decided it might just be too intense for me.... (this info coming from Roller Coaster freaks who are no stranger to Thrill rides!!)

And, Hulk....that ride looks like fun, but I don't know if I could be brave enough to go on it. My son wants to try some of the bigger thrill rides, like Rip Ride Rockit, and FJ, and I KNOW he'll want to do Jurrasic Park.....he may even get brave enough to go on Hulk.... I really don't want to leave him to go on everything with a stranger, half the fun of a ride is sharing the experience with someone you know! I wish I wasn't the type of person to second guess everything and get scared but I do!! It's a process to get me on a ride. It took 2 trips to WDW before I could say I'd done every ride!!!
The funny thing is, after going on TOT my last trip, I couldn't believe I'd let so much time go by without trying it....it ended up being very, very fun!!
I love that ride.

Space Mountain, and RcnRC, I can take or leave it....I could do them again, I just don't really like them that much....I've done each at least 10 times in the past, so it's not a fear thing. EE, I love, love, love....but it took 3 chicken exits and my hubby telling me turn for turn the ride (my first time) for me to learn to love it!!

So....I really want to be the fun mom, and not the kill joy on this trip for my 14 yo.....I have decided to not move our dates and leave the Universal Studios portion of our trip at 2.5 days....but I am really starting to worry there won't be much I can share with my son in IOA!!!
Please help ease my fears....tell me I'll still have fun! Oh, and if you have done some of these rides (Hulk, Jurrasic Park, RRR, FJ) and have overcome your fear and think....HEY!! those are not the big deal you're making them out to be, ....please.... send on some of that courage to me!!! :rotfl:

I am starting to feel a sick/worried pit in my stomach and I'm not even there yet!!!! :headache:

Nah...you'll be fine by the time you get there.

Theme park attractions are not usually as bad as people make them out to be once they ride it the first time. It's all a mind game.

I'm sure your son would understand if you couldn't ride something so don't worry about it.

As I said...you will be fine when you get to the parks.

I am a total chicken when it comes to rides, and I can assure you that Jurassic Park is nothing to be worried about... lots of fun! I did get really queasy on FJ, which didn't stop me from riding it twice (although not on the same day). My biggest delight, however, was conquering my fear of Doctor Doom's Fearfall! That was a huge WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO moment for me! :rotfl: My daughter and husband were so proud! I think I enjoyed it even more than TOT because of the element of surprise... you just don't know when they're going to launch you! :woohoo:

Listen to your son mom!

I didn't think the drop was bad at all on JP River Adventure, maybe because the boats were bigger? Rip Saw Falls seemed steeper, but it's still closed I guess.

Hulk feels similiar to RnRc but outdoors, not too bad.

FJ was a little rougher ride than some think, but not as fast as Space Mt and much more interesting and interactive. My sister SWORE that it spun, it didn't but she has motion sickness, horribly she says (she then went straight to the Dragon Challenge :rotfl: so how rough can FJ be?)
There were some things that she didn't want to go on twice and some that I didn't want to go on twice. But mine was mainly because I wanted to spend more time in WWOHP.
Remember that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger:rotfl2:

Really though I didn't find any ride too bad and I'm no spring chicken. Well I'm no chicken at all.:dance3: The most challenging thing for me was getting out of some of the rides at both WDW and IOA. That was scarier than any of the rides, and my bad knees were screaming at me!

Take a meclizine/Dramamine and A. You won't get sick or B. You won't care whether you do or not.

I am now a former ride chicken. Last September I went on forbidden journey, dragon challenge, hulk, the mummy, jurassic park and the hippogriff (rip ride rockit was down or I would've done that too).

FJ isn't much worse than Dumbo or 1 fish 2 fish. It goes up and down, twists a little, but it's definitely not a coaster. If you can do space mountain, you can do the mummy. If you can do splash mountain, you can do jurassic park (I assume ripsaw falls too, but haven't tried it myself).

I think Hulk and DC are slightly more intense than Expedition Everest. If you can't do EE then think twice about Hulk and DC.

Although Hulk is faster, I found it less intense than dragon challenge because the radius of curvature was greater, i.e. more gradual turns than the sharper turns on DC. Also, the part of coasters that bothers me most is the initial dropping feeling in my stomach. I found the hulk launched me, and then turned so that there wasn't much feeling in my stomach about that drop.

My advice is try Hulk before DC because the launch actually makes it less intense, not more. Oh, and I always make fists and try to curl my arms like I'm trying to lift something, which is difficult because of the G-force (positive, not negative G's, big difference for me positive Gs are easier) from the coaster. Then yell "HULK SMASH!" and you can really get into the theme.

Hippogriff and DC start into that first drop kinda slow, because when the first seats in the train start down the drop, the last seats are still going up the incline. Thus, you're kinda eased into the drop.

Also, I find that squeezing my stomach like a crunch helps quiet the butterflies - I think this is why people recommend screaming, because it tightens your stomach.

Most coaster rides are around 1:30 in length (including a 0:30 incline lift), and as time goes on there is less energy left in the train so maneuvers later on aren't as intense as earlier in the ride. So you don't even have to worry about the whole 1:30, just the intensity of the middle 0:30 or so (depends upon you).

I spent too many years overthinking it, and missed too many ride opportunities. Just get your brain thinking why its so easy, not why its so difficult.

Hope this helps.

I am now a former ride chicken. Last September I went on forbidden journey, dragon challenge, hulk, the mummy, jurassic park and the hippogriff (rip ride rockit was down or I would've done that too).

FJ isn't much worse than Dumbo or 1 fish 2 fish. It goes up and down, twists a little, but it's definitely not a coaster. If you can do space mountain, you can do the mummy. If you can do splash mountain, you can do jurassic park (I assume ripsaw falls too, but haven't tried it myself).

I think Hulk and DC are slightly more intense than Expedition Everest. If you can't do EE then think twice about Hulk and DC.

Although Hulk is faster, I found it less intense than dragon challenge because the radius of curvature was greater, i.e. more gradual turns than the sharper turns on DC. Also, the part of coasters that bothers me most is the initial dropping feeling in my stomach. I found the hulk launched me, and then turned so that there wasn't much feeling in my stomach about that drop.

My advice is try Hulk before DC because the launch actually makes it less intense, not more. Oh, and I always make fists and try to curl my arms like I'm trying to lift something, which is difficult because of the G-force (positive, not negative G's, big difference for me positive Gs are easier) from the coaster. Then yell "HULK SMASH!" and you can really get into the theme.

Hippogriff and DC start into that first drop kinda slow, because when the first seats in the train start down the drop, the last seats are still going up the incline. Thus, you're kinda eased into the drop.

Also, I find that squeezing my stomach like a crunch helps quiet the butterflies - I think this is why people recommend screaming, because it tightens your stomach.

Most coaster rides are around 1:30 in length (including a 0:30 incline lift), and as time goes on there is less energy left in the train so maneuvers later on aren't as intense as earlier in the ride. So you don't even have to worry about the whole 1:30, just the intensity of the middle 0:30 or so (depends upon you).

I spent too many years overthinking it, and missed too many ride opportunities. Just get your brain thinking why its so easy, not why its so difficult.

Hope this helps.

That helps so, so much!!! Thank you for taking the time to explain all that to me! In answer to your ??, I really LOVE EE, it is one of my favourite rides, along with TOT! I just love it!!!

Did you get a chance to try Dr. doom's free fall??? I wonder how that would be comparative to being launched UP instead of just dropping??? I've never tried an upwards launch before!!!

I think maybe I'll take some dramamine (sp?) the night before and morning of to help with FJ....I am scared of the story line/ dementors and spiders on this one...but i figure I can close my eyes on it!!

I did Rock N Roller Coaster, so I am really hopeful I can get the nerves up to do Hulk!!
Thanks so much for your advice!!!
~ Marie

If you want to be preventative so you can relax and enjoy the rides you can take Bonine which is the non-drowsy Dramamine. It's over the counter. The only catch is that you have to take it BEFORE you get on the rides as it has zero effect once you have motion sickness. Works great for me on boat rides and never feel drowsy.

You will be just fine once you see your son's happy face!

I still can't get up the nerve to do ToT or Dr Doom. It's the drop I hate, the butterflies in my stomach. So, take the part I hate and make that the whole ride - I can't imagine I'd enjoy them even if I did get on. I just don`t have the motivation to psyche up for Dr Doom. Again, the launch up would be OK, but going down faster than gravity? :scared1: How many negative Gs?

Honestly, you'll love Hulk, the launch is great.

As for motion sickness, I can't help you. I've never had it, I'm immune.

I really don't want to leave him to go on everything with a stranger, half the fun of a ride is sharing the experience with someone you know!

For me, it's opposite! I love going on things alone. Seeing movies alone. etc. I'm not paying attention (assuming they aren't bugging me by talking and asking questions (I'm talking to my 6 year old, who talked ALL through our second viewing of Tangled and nearly drove me out of my skull)) to others anyway, so I like just focusing on the experience.

So I did get sick after FJ, but in the future I'm willing to try it again. As I write my trip report, I realize how TIRED I was by the time we got to Universal, and that FJ probably wasn't THE best choice of a first ride when exhausted.

The spiders are huge, though, cannot deny that! But the dementors aren't real at all, so don't be scared of them. Just know they are shockingly big. And the dragon-fire is really close. But it's all safe.

I discovered on our LAST day the way to conquer the belly-drop feeling (which I do NOT enjoy) on coasters. I figured this out 3 rides into a total of 14 on Hippogriff (mother/son experience LOL). I took a deep breath in as we went up, then slowly let it out as we did the big drop down and around. Worked like a charm! I can't wait to try it on other coasters.

Universal was amazing, even though we didn't ride the BIG things. DS was too small or uninterested, I was not interested, and hubby, poor guy, didn't fit in the seats despite being very interested... But even though we didn't do a bunch of the headliners, we still filled 4 days (2 full days, 2 partial, but they were LONG partial days) and were sad to go back to WDW! It's a great place, so just enjoy what you do there, and don't worry about what you don't do. :)

I still can't get up the nerve to do ToT or Dr Doom. It's the drop I hate, the butterflies in my stomach. So, take the part I hate and make that the whole ride - I can't imagine I'd enjoy them even if I did get on. I just don`t have the motivation to psyche up for Dr Doom. Again, the launch up would be OK, but going down faster than gravity? :scared1: How many negative Gs?

Honestly, you'll love Hulk, the launch is great.

As for motion sickness, I can't help you. I've never had it, I'm immune.

I should make you a deal....You do TOT, I'll do HULK!!! :rotfl: Seriously, TOT is soooo much fun. I was scared for 2 trips to try it....finally on my last trip, I just said I'm going to try it! It was soooo fun....You feel like you are floating on the drops (you get a little air time when it drops).....but I felt no stomach dropping feeling at all, it was very smooth, and very fun! My son, on the other hand (who can do things like MANTA at SeaWorld) does not like the feeling on the drop.....he said it makes him feel funny :confused3 (sorry to be a little graphic....but he says he feels tickleish in the groin area and hates that feeling!! :confused3).....Now that I'm embarrassed, maybe it's a guy thing? ;) in any event I didn't feel any negative feelings on the ride....it was very, very fun!! I promise, this coming from a total ride wimp, and I enjoyed it very much!

As for motion sickness.....I wonder if GRAVOL (I live in Canada and don't have acess to dramamine) is the equivilant to dramamine?? Maybe I will wait until the US to buy some, maybe your US version is more potent!!! :rotfl:

I will have to use the tactic I did with RcnRC to get on HULK....Just get in, and pull down the harness before I can change my mind!!! :rotfl:

When in Feb do you go?? I'll post back here about what I decided to do! Hope I get a good dose of courage!! :)

I'm at USF/IoA/SW/AQ Feb 12-25.

Oh, and I found that a, uhhh, dose of courage :drinking1 from the Watering Hole (between 3-5pm) did help quite a bit. You might consider it, assuming you have a designated driver. :smokin:

I'm at USF/IoA/SW/AQ Feb 12-25.

Oh, and I found that a, uhhh, dose of courage :drinking1 from the Watering Hole (between 3-5pm) did help quite a bit. You might consider it, assuming you have a designated driver. :smokin:

Well, considering that this trip is just with my 14/not quite 15 yo son and I....I'll have to take a rain check on that one ;)....but good thought!!! :rotfl:

I'll have to depend on good ol' nerves of steel, if I can conjure up some, :rotfl: I really, really want to make him proud of me and give him a fun time, so I may have to step up to the plate! :scared1:

If I can do Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, I feel I can do anything. 0-120 MPH in about 2 seconds? 400' drop? Ugh. It was horrible. How did I do it? I knew the actual ride itself is 17 seconds. I can do ANYTHING for 17 seconds. I also knew I could scream for 17 seconds straight, which my poor husband's ears can verify. :)

You can do them all. I promise. And if you're scared about your tummy being upset, take a couple ginger capsules or chew some ginger gum. Works as well as dramamine for me and DH (and we get REALLY motion sick) and there's no side effects...except sometimes you burp and it tastes like ginger ale... ;)

Found this thread and now I am curious. Well OP, how did you do and what about you, braddillman? Would love to know how it turned out!

If you can do RnR, then you can do Hulk! I hate the anticipation of going slowly up the incline on a coaster- to much time to think "why did I let myself get on this ride?" and on Hulk you get launched and are in the middle of the ride before you know it. It is sooooo much fun! And on the Rockit you have the song of your choice blasting in your ears the whole time which helps take your mind off being scared. I didn't want to go on it either, but my 13 yo needed a riding buddy and guess who was elected? Now it's my favorite after FJ. And personally, I get a scopolomine patch (prescription) for the nausea- lasts 3 days and no side effects that I've noticed. Too bad it doesn't make a person braver:lmao:.

Hi Tink20 :goodvibes here is a link to my update.....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2661985

Enjoy! if I can convert, ANYONE can!!! :)

~ Marie

OMG, I just read your posts and the advice from Padawan. I am a ride chicken too. I love TOT, I rode RnR once (it was okay). I guess, I am more scared about getting motion sickness. But, I am going to take some Bonine on this trip, because I really want to experience all I can. Maybe I can come back and say I rode some of the "BIG" ones. :yay: Glad you had an awesome time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter