starting to get alittle worried

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
about our aug cruise

I watched the dream leave PC yesterday and it was raining there

my DH said that there was a TS near there they said on the weather channel

that there were more storms now then before at this time of year

so now Im worried about storms in aug I know theres nothing you can do about the weather

but we both need this trip so bad--its been a really bad yr and we just need to get away

were going on the fantasty to the eastern caribbean

any one have any experience in going there at this time of yr

thanks all

I have lived in S. Florida for 30 years. Generally, the cruise lines do NOT cancel due to tropical storms/hurricanes. They will re-route the boat around the storm. (Unless of course the TS/hurricane is coming on shore the day you're leaving.)

Like you said, it's hit or miss, but chances are you'll be just fine!

about our aug cruise

so now Im worried about storms in aug I know theres nothing you can do about the weather

but we both need this trip so bad--its been a really bad yr and we just need to get away

thanks all

We are on the Fantasy this Saturday and honestly, we will deal with whatever weather there is....as you said you can't control it and just have to go with it. Florida is getting hit hard right now with Debby but hopefully she will be gone by this weekend.

MJ

While you can't control the weather, you can control when you arrive in Orlando. If you are flying, I hope you are arriving at least one day prior to the cruise. I also hope you bought trip insurance.

Weather at the end of the summer is tough in the tropics, typically we see most of our named storms during the Aug-Oct timeframe, water is the warmest. Typical weather patterns are nice during the afternoons, then rain in the early evenings. When we cruised last October the entire weekend was rain, both on our stops to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. Kind of stunk but we didnt let it ruin our trip.
The weather will be what it is. Unfortunatley they cant control it.

It rained the day we were in Nassau and like our cruise director reminded us...."You can't control the weather, but you can control your attitude." Just remember if it rains, you are STILL on a vacation on a beautiful ship! Have fun!

We have been on two cruises during hurricane season

1. The ship will sail
2. Your itinerary may be changed, we had one eastern that turned into a western cruise.

Unless a hurricane directly impacts MCO and Port Canaveral ie. Hurricane Frances in 2004 the boat will sail. And Disney will do everything to get the cruise underway even if that means sailing out of a different port.

We have been on two cruises during hurricane season

1. The ship will sail
2. Your itinerary may be changed, we had one eastern that turned into a western cruise.

Unless a hurricane directly impacts MCO and Port Canaveral ie. Hurricane Frances in 2004 the boat will sail. And Disney will do everything to get the cruise underway even if that means sailing out of a different port.

The biggest problem during a hurricane is not whether the ship will sail, but whether you can get to the ship. If flights are delayed or cancelled, or airports are closed - you could "miss the boat."

Got off the Magic on Oct 8, 2011 to a nasty storm. Heard later that the cruise after us was unable to take off on time and sail-away party was cancelled. Not sure how the rest of that cruise went ? But hurricane season can be risky. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless :)

Got off the Magic on Oct 8, 2011 to a nasty storm. Heard later that the cruise after us was unable to take off on time and sail-away party was cancelled. Not sure how the rest of that cruise went ? But hurricane season can be risky. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless :)

about our aug cruise

thanks all

If there is a storm the Captain will take the ship around it. They will do everything in their power to get you to a sunny spot. If a hurricane forms in the Eastern Caribbean your cruise will become a Western. The cruise will not get cancelled.

Just like WDW, everyday it will probably rain at some point! But it will be warm and tropical! Can't wait!!

We were on the 3-night Dream last year during hurricane Irene. We arrived three days before the cruise, so no worries about getting to Orlando. The BWI CL CMs were wonderful about keeping us updated regarding weather and changes to our cruise. They continued to assure us that we would most likely sail, but should be prepared for itinerary changes.

The ship ended up leaving a little early on departure day, sail away party was inside, and we sailed along the coast the first night. It was very rough that first night, but we did pretty well. Three of the five of us weren't impacted by the movement at all, our oldest son felt a little queasy and our middle son had to leave dinner to rest for a while. But everyone was back to normal by the end of the night. The next day, we arrived in Nassau late and several excursions were cancelled. (This had no impact on us, as we always planned to stay on the ship anyway.)

And then the next day, we were not able to dock at Castaway Cay, so the ship returned to Nassau. I'll admit it was disappointing to miss Castaway, and we would have preferred to make that a sea day rather than dock in Nassau again. But during the trip we were having fun on the ship and the CMs were all happy and smiling, so all was well.

The good news is that you're sailing on a longer cruise, so it seems you would have more flexibility with ports and itineraries. I heard some guests mention that we may have been able to get to Castaway, for example, if we were on a longer cruise with more flexibility.

So as previous posters mentioned, I'd say that it's best to arrive in Orlando with plenty of time to spare, remain flexible and focus on the positive. We knew that with Disney, we'd have a great time and they would keep us safe - and that was worth a lot!

I went on the Dream last year and there was a hurricane. We left Florida a little late due to it, and the ocean was VERY rocky. I felt very sea sick. (I'm not trying to scare you!). We were not able to go to Castaway Cay because they said the island was a mess. Although I was very sad we weren't able to go to CC, I still enjoyed our cruise.

I hope everything works out for you and you have a safe and happy cruise :)

Our last cruise in August 2009 was supposed to be an eastern, but our itinerary was changed due to tropical storms. So, we did a western again! And we got 2 stops at CC - well worth the change. The weather ended up being fabulous the whole week - it was hard to believe there was storm out there anywhere! We are sailing again this August - booked on an Eastern - and have no worries. DCL handled it all beautifully last time.

The weather in Florida is very unpredictable during the summer, and we always assume it will rain at least for a bit every day. That said, the odds of being affected by a tropical system is actually pretty slim. I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida, and the only storm I've been really affected by was Charlie in 2004. Even so, it passed within 5 miles of my house, but because I was on the north side of it, all we had was rain. The current storm we are dealing with, Debby, is actually up by the panhandle, and again, all we are getting is rain.

Worst case scenario - it rains and you have to stay inside - I'm sure Disney will find lots for you to do! :thumbsup2

We were on the Dream on a back to back that left out Oct 6, we had some rough waters the first part of the b2b and did not make it to castaway the first round, going in on the 8th back to port was a rough night....however when we got to port it was nice and sunny but that nice and sunny turned into a tropical depression and we did not port out until 4 am on that monday morning, our itinerary got change but thankfully we got to get castaway the 2nd round!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter