Starting a scrapbook

1ST time at DW

Earning My Ears
I would enjoy doing something with my pics from WDW,but where to start?:eek:Is there a online site to buy whatever I need,I started reading this board I am soooo:confused3 Is there a what to do first thread Thanks in advance.

I would first start with checking a local crafts store like Michael's or Hobby lobby. You might go online to Joann.com or acmoore.com for online. I use customcrops.com and scrapbookingsuppliesrus.com as well. Find a scrapbook you like. The Disney themed books can be expensive but they are neat. I personally use a black scrapbook and get the disney memories sticker to put on the front or use my cricut machine to cut diecuts of the characters to laminate and adhere to the front. When you buy, think about what size you want. I do 8x8 for my nieces and nephew and I did a 12x12 for myself. They also make 8x11. I like the 12x12 and 8 by 11 because they have paper already cut to those sizes.

You can check the hobby lobby website each week and look at their weekly specials. They have weeks where they run scrapbooks and/or paper and supplies for 50% off. I love these sales!

After you get the scrapbook, you need to pick out paper that will coordinate with your pictures that you want to use. You can start with a disney kit to help you get going or order disney themed paper from places online. You can find paper at hobby lobby that works well with AK.

Crop any pictures you want to use (if you want to crop them). You will need something to adhere the pictures to your pages. I prefer photo splits rather than glue. There is so much I could go into but I think it would probably be best if you go to your local craft store and take a look at all the different things they have. The techniques are endless so pick what you are comfortable with and go from there.

Hope this helps!

Step 1 - is deciding size of album and how you are going to scrap it, chronological or by park.
Size of album can be determined by how many pics you have. I generally take 5000 per trip ad scrap about 3/4 of them. I do 2 12x12 albums per trip. Typically I have 5 - 20 pics per 2 page layout.

Step 2 - is dividing your pics into payouts, I personally prefer 2 page layouts for the flow.

step 3 - is buying supplies. I have this as step 3, not as step one for a reason. I made the mistake of buying all of my supplies first (picture kid in a candy store). I have soooo much stuff and I can't get through it. Once you have your pictures sorted by layout the colors will start coming together.

step 4 - tools. My one suggestion for tools is to not cut yourself short in the tool dept. I would recommend buying good quality tools right off the bat, you'll get straighter lines, cleaner cuts etc. Adhesive is really important too, make sure it's acid free scrapbooking adhesive. Glue dots are good, I use Scotts sticky adhesive for a wet adhesive, and Creative Memories for my tape runner.

step 5 - Have fun!!! there is no wrong way to scrap. Enjoy the process.

If you have any questions just ask, everyone here is really helpful and nice.

My favorite stores:
ACMoore
Michael's
Joann Fabric
mousememories.com

You have gotten some great advice already. I'd just like to add that you can check your area to see if a local scrapbook store has a beginner's class. Most stores do. You would get a lot of info. out of it, a chance to try and learn how to use tools, and you'd make your first page there. It's so much fun to browse through albums I've made and you'll love it too!

When I wanted to start I wandered up and down my local hobby store thinking "do I need that? What is it? How do I use it?" and came away with nothing. I bought a random scrapbook from another store and put it in a cupboard. :guilty:

Then someone suggeted having a Creative Memories class - that was great, someone showing you what to do and how to do it! So I bought a bunch of stuff and became a CMC(just for the discount :rolleyes1- althoguh I have a crop with a couple of friends every so often). Now I buy stuff from all over, and use loads of swap items, but still prefer CM albums and adhesives (and some tools).

By the way, if you're getting into scrapping you might want to extend your credit limit;):rotfl2: Its addictive!:rotfl:

I would definitely see if you can find a beginner's class to go to. I got into scrapping by going to a Creative Memories class. Even if you don't decide to use CM products (although I use a lot of CM stuff), it will give you a feel for things. You could check with a local Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, or a scrapbook store, if you have one.

As someone else said, there is no right or wrong way. Feel free to ask questions here, and have fun!

Steph

I started scrapbooking by checking out a few books in the library and looking at pages online to give me ideas.

Then I bought some scrapbooking safe glue sticks, a good craft knife, a self-healing cutting board, and a couple of packages of assorted color and pattern paper from Walmart. Oh, and an album, of course, with page protectors.

My advice... practice a couple of pages with simple supplies to get the feel of it first.

I agree with "buy things as you go." It's so tempting to pick up tons of stuff, or big package sets, and a lot ends up unused as your collection builds.

I like to design one layout at a time. It might be one page or as many as two or four. I choose a few photos that tell the "story" for that layout.

I decide on a color scheme... then I head with the photos in a folder to the craft store.

Hold the photos on the paper... the paper color/pattern can totally change the look of the photo. I select a background paper and a couple of coordinating or contrasting colors for matting or framing, or making page borders.

Then I look for embellishments-- stickers, die cuts, or even paper punches that will give me the look I want.

Then I go home and work on that layout. I like to lay everything out on the paper first and arrange it all and tweak it, and then adhere them all last.

It's a really fun hobby and your skills and creativity will increase as you go.

usually i use running tape, but this year i am planning a giant scrapbook and bought 3m scrapsafe glue one end is thin and the other has like a sponge on it, anybody used this? i got it at joanne 40% off scrap supplies this week. any 59 cent paper was 19 cents! i bought a bunch!:woohoo:

Sign up for the mailing lists for JoAnn and Michaels, sometimes they have some great coupons too! Ebay's a great place to find some retired or unique supplies too! :-)

There are sights that also have page maps which can help you with how to organize things on a page. I noticed one of the challanges here had a page map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter