Star Wars Weekend Tips 2012

Is SWW really a good time to take younger kids? My ds will be 7 this summer and loves Star Wars. We would love to go for the experience but I am concerned after reading a few posts about this event that it may actually be too overwhelming for him (and maybe for the rest of us). It almost seems like this event is geared more towards adult Star Wars lovers than kids which I totally get and have no problem with. Just trying to get an understanding of the event and see if it's right for our family. I just keep reading about insane waits, heat, crowds, etc. Is it actually fun? We are planners and can totally plan to make the day easier by doing as much research as necessary.

I'm guessing for us the character meet and greets would be great as well as the parade. Any opinions on how enjoyable the event actually is for the 7 to 9 year old crowd would be great!

ETA - Forgot one more question. Is the entire DHS insane that day or is it just insane for the Star Wars stuff? Looking at a crowd calendar I'm not seeing that DHS is a park to avoid during these days so am wondering just how crowded the rest of the park is.

From last year's SWW, how fast and slow did the celebrities sign? I know Ashley Eckstein was the slowest. And if I want to get in the parade, do I have to sign up for JTA?

Ashley and James Arnold Taylor are the slower because they take more time talking to the guests. Also Matthew Wood (voice of General Griveous and others) is very slow, he didn't come last year but has attended consistently. The fastest celeb to sign in my opinion is Peter Mayhew, you are in and out in a matter of a minute, he's a pro and always want to get as many people as possible.
The CM's choose the kids for the parade randomly, they walk around the Star Tours area looking for kids excited about SW or dressed in SW costumes, or just with a b-day button, it's really completely random. Signing up for JTA won't give you any advantage.

Is SWW really a good time to take younger kids? My ds will be 7 this summer and loves Star Wars. We would love to go for the experience but I am concerned after reading a few posts about this event that it may actually be too overwhelming for him (and maybe for the rest of us). It almost seems like this event is geared more towards adult Star Wars lovers than kids which I totally get and have no problem with. Just trying to get an understanding of the event and see if it's right for our family. I just keep reading about insane waits, heat, crowds, etc. Is it actually fun? We are planners and can totally plan to make the day easier by doing as much research as necessary.

I'm guessing for us the character meet and greets would be great as well as the parade. Any opinions on how enjoyable the even actually is for the 7 to 9 year old crowd would be great!

ETA - Forgot one more question. Is the entire DHS insane that day or is it just insane for the Star Wars stuff? Looking at a crowd calendar I'm not seeing that DHS is a park to avoid during these days so am wondering just how crowded the rest of the park is.

I'll answer the last part of your question first. DHS is more crowded during SWW, depending on the time you arrive, the entrance will be crowded as guests are watching the stormtroopers on top of the DHS entrance turnstiles, the entire area of Star Tours/SOunds Dangerous is more crowded, if they place the big stage at the Hat like last year, that will be crowded when the different events are taking place. Around Backlot Tour and Mama Melrose Rstaurant they place different characters so that will be more crowded and lastly the merchandise tent was placed last year behind Rock n Rollercoaster. So you will see more people around, maybe the lines for actual rides will be the same.
Now as to your first question, you are the judge of what your kids will enjoy. Yes it's crowded, hot and the lines are sometimes insane BUT if your kids and/or you are big SW fans it's worth it. The SW music playing around you, all the characters and the guests in costumes adds to the entire atmosphere. Plan it out, if you can go to DHS on a non SWW day to do the rest of the park do that and then just enjoy the day of SWW for SW events. We have gone every year for about 10 years and still love the whole event.
SWW is really geared to every age group. There is special merchandise, Hyperspace Hoopla is not to be missed (watch it on youtube to get an idea), JTA, all the celeb shows, Parade and Padawan Mind Challenge, plus the SW characters meet and greets allows for everyone in your family to have something interesting to do.

it is hard to plan an ADR without knowing the parade times.. It was usually at 11:40, but when we went last year on the last weekend (fri.) it was at 12:40. I followed the 2011 thread to keep up to date with the times etc. all reports were for 11:40. With the new ADR system we cannot have multiple without paying a penalty this year. I will just make one for after 1pm for lunch and hope the schedule is out soonprincess:

yulilin3, I hope they keep the shows (Hoopla) on the big stage. that was great. I was very claustrophobic back by ST. princess:

I'll answer the last part of your question first. DHS is more crowded during SWW, depending on the time you arrive, the entrance will be crowded as guests are watching the stormtroopers on top of the DHS entrance turnstiles, the entire area of Star Tours/SOunds Dangerous is more crowded, if they place the big stage at the Hat like last year, that will be crowded when the different events are taking place. Around Backlot Tour and Mama Melrose Rstaurant they place different characters so that will be more crowded and lastly the merchandise tent was placed last year behind Rock n Rollercoaster. So you will see more people around, maybe the lines for actual rides will be the same.
Now as to your first question, you are the judge of what your kids will enjoy. Yes it's crowded, hot and the lines are sometimes insane BUT if your kids and/or you are big SW fans it's worth it. The SW music playing around you, all the characters and the guests in costumes adds to the entire atmosphere. Plan it out, if you can go to DHS on a non SWW day to do the rest of the park do that and then just enjoy the day of SWW for SW events. We have gone every year for about 10 years and still love the whole event.
SWW is really geared to every age group. There is special merchandise, Hyperspace Hoopla is not to be missed (watch it on youtube to get an idea), JTA, all the celeb shows, Parade and Padawan Mind Challenge, plus the SW characters meet and greets allows for everyone in your family to have something interesting to do.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your response. Not sure if we can even get to wdw in June (due to crazy summer swim league) but I am trying to see if I can make it happen. If not this year, then next!

it is hard to plan an ADR without knowing the parade times.. It was usually at 11:40, but when we went last year on the last weekend (fri.) it was at 12:40. I followed the 2011 thread to keep up to date with the times etc. all reports were for 11:40. With the new ADR system we cannot have multiple without paying a penalty this year. I will just make one for after 1pm for lunch and hope the schedule is out soonprincess:

So, are you saying that the parade was at 11:40 the first 3 weekends and then at 12:40 just that last weekend? I was under the impression it was at 11:40 the previous year(s) and 12:40 all of last year. That will definitely make it tricky to plan if they change times weekend by weekend. Anyhow, I have a 1:20 ADR in hopes that if it's at either 11:40 or 12:40 this year, I'll be okay.

So, are you saying that the parade was at 11:40 the first 3 weekends and then at 12:40 just that last weekend? I was under the impression it was at 11:40 the previous year(s) and 12:40 all of last year. That will definitely make it tricky to plan if they change times weekend by weekend. Anyhow, I have a 1:20 ADR in hopes that if it's at either 11:40 or 12:40 this year, I'll be okay.

Last year's SWW parade was at 12:40 for the entire 4 weekends, it had been at 11:40 before 2011.

yes. from the 2011 tips page...Legends of the Force Star Wars Celebrity Motorcade

This is one parade not to be missed! The parade is composed of Star Wars characters, the weekend’s celebrities, special guests, and a ton of Storm Troopers. It begins at 11:40 am near the entrance, travels up Hollywood Boulevard, and turns at the Sorcerer's Hat to end near Star Tours. There is a Celebrity Welcome ceremony right after at 12:00 pm. Make sure you find your spot at least 60 minutes before the parade. Some good spots are by the Star Tours stage (where the celebrity welcoming ceremony and photo-opportunities take place directly after the parade), on the half walls in front of the Academy Hall of Fame - the area with the bronze busts of celebrities (no one can sit or stand in front of you), and on the steps of the American Idol Experience.

We were there last year for the unveiling off the new Star Wars tours ride etc.. George Lucas was there, it was a big event!!

We were there before park opened and it was CRAZY busy. We got in and went directly to the sign up for Fighting with Vader and got a 8pm time!!! We sent my husband to do it because in years past you could sign up the kids BUT now the kid has to be there!! So he texted me and we ran! I have an 8 year old and the twins last year were 4. The lines were too long, we barely got on anything and it was SO hot-lol . We still had fun and did things with the kids we always skipped, like the backlot tour and Indiana Jones show- WOW!!! So... did my kids have fun? YES, will be do it again?? Not for a few years-lol. But I think it was worth it for my Star Wars fanatic kids!

Good luck. Last year we were there for the last weekend in May.

thanks yulilin3 I will be watching more carefully this year as last year I sat and waited 1 1/2 hr before the parade thinking it was at 11:40. I got a great spot at least:cool1:princess:

ps. I had a lot of great people waiting with me that thought the parade was 11:40. People watching is fun

Ashley and James Arnold Taylor are the slower because they take more time talking to the guests. Also Matthew Wood (voice of General Griveous and others) is very slow, he didn't come last year but has attended consistently. The fastest celeb to sign in my opinion is Peter Mayhew, you are in and out in a matter of a minute, he's a pro and always want to get as many people as possible.
The CM's choose the kids for the parade randomly, they walk around the Star Tours area looking for kids excited about SW or dressed in SW costumes, or just with a b-day button, it's really completely random. Signing up for JTA won't give you any advantage.

Thanks for those heads ups! So would it be worth FP JAT and AE if they come this year? Also, how fast were all the celebrities last year?

So how are the other parks in regards to Star Wars Weekends in MGM? Super packed? I won't feel super upset about my trip as long as I know the others parks won't be crazy packed and I get onto rides in a decent time..

Thanks for those heads ups! So would it be worth FP JAT and AE if they come this year? Also, how fast were all the celebrities last year?
Both Jat and AE are a delight to meet. They are so kind and great with the kids. My DD11 loves Ashley because she remembered her name from years past. She has her oown clothing line for girls and women named Her Universe and sells some of her products at the merch. tent. As to the other celebs, it's always fun to say Hi to Ray Park (Darth Maul) and Daniel Logan (Young Bobba Fett). As to how fast the celebs sign, I would say they spend anywhere from 1 minute to maybe 5 minutes, they have to try and keep the line moving to get as many people in as possible. The only person we didn;t like from years pasts has been Anthony Daniel (C3PO) he is full of himself and won't sign anything other than his black and white photo provided by Disney. Other than him we have had great experiences with everyone else.
So how are the other parks in regards to Star Wars Weekends in MGM? Super packed? I won't feel super upset about my trip as long as I know the others parks won't be crazy packed and I get onto rides in a decent time..
The other parks have their usual crowds. Like any other day for May and June.

Both Jat and AE are a delight to meet. They are so kind and great with the kids. My DD11 loves Ashley because she remembered her name from years past. She has her oown clothing line for girls and women named Her Universe and sells some of her products at the merch. tent. As to the other celebs, it's always fun to say Hi to Ray Park (Darth Maul) and Daniel Logan (Young Bobba Fett). As to how fast the celebs sign, I would say they spend anywhere from 1 minute to maybe 5 minutes, they have to try and keep the line moving to get as many people in as possible. The only person we didn;t like from years pasts has been Anthony Daniel (C3PO) he is full of himself and won't sign anything other than his black and white photo provided by Disney. Other than him we have had great experiences with everyone else.

The other parks have their usual crowds. Like any other day for May and June.

So Anthony barely chats to people?

So Anthony barely chats to people?

He chats about a minute or two but it's all about him, are you interested in the chattiest celebs? or do you have any specific one in mind? I really don't think Anthony Daniel will be invited back he got alot of complaints last year.

He chats about a minute or two but it's all about him, are you interested in the chattiest celebs? or do you have any specific one in mind? I really don't think Anthony Daniel will be invited back he got alot of complaints last year.

I"m mainly interested in these celebs from the past couple years:

JAT
Ashley Eckstein
Jeremy Bulloch
Peter Mayhew
Ray Park
Warwick Davis

I'm pretty sure James, Ashley, and Jeremy are returning for this year. Now if I'm correct, Warwick Davis hasn't been at SWW in a couple years due to filming movies? Does anyone recall on how chatty all these celebs are? I know that Ashley and James are great for chatting. Also, where can I find some Anthony Daniels complaints? :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter