• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

star wars weekend help

nickandregan

Earning My Ears
We just planned a last minute vacation and realized it is the first of the star wars weekends. My eight year old is a big fan. Do I dare try to tackle this? Anyone have advice and what is worth seeing and doing. We will only have four days total. How many do I want to spend on star wars? Thanks for any help.

We have been to Star Wars Weekends. It is very busy, but manageable. We arrived early, very early, before rope drop. The storm troopers are very cool at opening of the park so make sure to get there early. If you want to meet any of the actors then you must get fast passes for that. We met a couple of actors, but mostly just enjoyed the park. There are characters from the SW movies everywhere. If he is a huge fan def go. My DS and DH are huge fans and loved every second of it. Just remember as with all the parks ARRIVE EARLY. :goodvibes We will be there May 29 and 30, you?

We will be there the weekend before as long as school does not have a flip that I am taking my children out. Thanks for the advice

If you have an 8-year-old Star Wars fan, then YES!! We planned a last-minute trip last June and one of the deciding factors was getting to go to DHS for SW weekends. :)

I agree, go early (before RD) and enjoy! We didn't stand in any character lines, but we found that throughout the day (especially in the late afternoon) there were characters just wandering around. We got some great photos and the kids loved it. I highly recommend the parade. My kids were perfectly happy to park themselves 45 minutes early so they had a good spot to see Jedi Mickey in the parade! We found a shady spot and got some slushies to beat the heat...and it was HOT! Chewbacca should have been earning overtime :rotfl2:

Star Tours was pretty busy all weekend, so we just got FPs for it and rode 3 times. You will have a blast! Just thinking about the fun Star Wars music and decor makes me want to go back again!!

If you have a Star Wars fan you MUST go! My almost 8 year old is a huge fan as is my husband. We were there last June and the boys spent the entire day almost collecting autographs (celebrity and character), riding Star Tours, checking out the cool merchandise, going to the special talks with the celebrities, etc.. DS was even picked to be one of the Jedi kids in the SW parade. I really think it was probably the best day of his life.

We are going to be there for the 1st weekend this year and it is a surprise trip. We are spending that Friday there all day. We only have 3 park days and no park hopping so one day will have to be enough. I am sure they will spend most of the day character hunting. :) My daughter and I usually go see Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Muppets, etc. while the boys are on their quest since my DD does not like SW and some of the characters scare her.

That sounds like a great plan foohpah! So are the non SW stuff crowded as well?

Last year it was June and everything was pretty busy but certainly doable. I am hoping May will be a little less crowded. My daughter loved having time just for the two of us without "the boys". It made it a special day for her as well and it was nice not to have to listen to my son complain about having to watch princess stuff ;).

We did all meet up for lunch and rode TSMM first thing in the morning together. She and I even went back to our resort for some rest before meeting back up with them later that day.

If you are going opening weekend and only going one day I might avoid Friday... we went the first day a couple years ago and there were some snags (late characters, things not well organized)... we went again the following Sunday and it seemed like they had things better organized and I don't think it was any more crowded than Friday.

That would be said I would HIGHLY recommend going if you have a SW fan... one day will probably be enough for most things; however, if you want to meet *every* character and do everything than it would probably take more. Also, all the Star Wars stuff ends in the late afternoon so if you have park hoppers you can go to MK or Epcot after it is over for the day.

As far as what to do... unless you REALLY want to meet the celebs I would skip that... you need to be there insanely early and spend a lot of time waiting. The main things we did were meeting the characters, the parade, and hyperspace hoopla... all of which are great... we didn't bother with the presentations which are mostly question/answer with various stars or sneak peaks/behind the scenes stuff which make not be that interesting to and 8 year old (but I could be wrong about that)

If you are going opening weekend and only going one day I might avoid Friday... we went the first day a couple years ago and there were some snags (late characters, things not well organized)... we went again the following Sunday and it seemed like they had things better organized and I don't think it was any more crowded than Friday.

That would be said I would HIGHLY recommend going if you have a SW fan... one day will probably be enough for most things; however, if you want to meet *every* character and do everything than it would probably take more. Also, all the Star Wars stuff ends in the late afternoon so if you have park hoppers you can go to MK or Epcot after it is over for the day.

As far as what to do... unless you REALLY want to meet the celebs I would skip that... you need to be there insanely early and spend a lot of time waiting. The main things we did were meeting the characters, the parade, and hyperspace hoopla... all of which are great... we didn't bother with the presentations which are mostly question/answer with various stars or sneak peaks/behind the scenes stuff which make not be that interesting to and 8 year old (but I could be wrong about that)

I do agree with getting there early for celebrity autographs. We got there about an hour to 45 minutes early last year and my husband and son were still able to get a FP for an autograph. The lines for the characters are long but in my son's case it was worth the wait. He can be patient if it is something he really wants. ;) My 7 year old loved the behind the scenes stuff but that might just depend on how much of a fan they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter