Star Wars Episode VII Rumors

Lockedoutlogic you seem to be quite bitter again. You argue that Twin dad is writing from a fan perspective and therefore is completely biased. Yet you even describer yourself as a "diehard fan" (which I'm sure you are) but your opinion isn't biased??

I think you are in the group of bitter diehard fans who are disappointed with the second trilogy and feel all is lost.

The thing is The first trilogy was "lightening in a bottle", it is not going to be easy to duplicate that. Was the second trilogy disappointing? Yes it was not on the same level as the first. Was the second trilogy the worst piece of crap I have ever seen and therefore a harbinger of future crap? Nope I don't think so.

Too many "diehard fans" are overreacting to the second trilogy. They are disappointed that the "lighting in a bottle" wasn't duplicated.

Lucas made mistakes with the second trilogy relying on CGI too much and got wooden performances from the actors as a result, but can you blame the guy. After decades he finally gets the technology to support his original ideas and goes a little nuts with it.

However he did follow the same formula IMO but he didn't get the same results as the first trilogy. I honestly think it was out of his control as the expectations were uber high from all the "diehard fans"

And that is even moot as he will only be a consultant on the next trilogy. my view is I'm going to hope for the best. I think there is plenty of story for them to go with, and hopefully they can learn from previous mistakes.

But what do I know, I liked John Carter :eek:

I don't think it's "bitter"...or even "disappointed"

It actually more like pity.

I mean... I do agree
With alot of what you say and I am not "bitter" as you say enough to not concede alot of points... You make great ones.

But those movies and most of what has come since... Call me a "hater" (if you call me a hater...I call you "son"...because mom musta held your hand during the phantom movie)... We're just not appropriate to be made. Yeah... It's my opinion... And my opinion is they are that bad. Even the "good" movie of the three had terrible acting, worse dialogue, and alot of story fender benders...

I would argue that they were only made because Of Lucas's enormous money bin... And wouldn't have gotten the time o' day if they were brought to a studio somewhere.

Not to get geek... But the lack of explanation of the origin of the clone army and the redonkulous boba fett tie in for merchandising is enough to make me wish I hadn't wasted the time... Less than a days worth of work... Combined.

I've got an opinion... I'm not gonna try to hammer it home (anymore)...

But ironically... I've just finished watching "the people vs George Lucas". What can be described as " docu-comedy" made in 2009...

I have to admit... Even I think it might be too anti-Lucas...but it really does get to the heart of how Lucas just went down the hole. With particular emphasis on the " special edition " And what it did.
Honestly...it really is good...but R rated. Highly recommend it.

I don't think it's "bitter"...or even "disappointed"

It actually more like pity.

I mean... I do agree
With alot of what you say and I am not "bitter" as you say enough to not concede alot of points... You make great ones.

But those movies and most of what has come since... Call me a "hater" (if you call me a hater...I call you "son"...because mom musta held your hand during the phantom movie)... We're just not appropriate to be made. Yeah... It's my opinion... And my opinion is they are that bad. Even the "good" movie of the three had terrible acting, worse dialogue, and alot of story fender benders...

I would argue that they were only made because Of Lucas's enormous money bin... And wouldn't have gotten the time o' day if they were brought to a studio somewhere.

Not to get geek... But the lack of explanation of the origin of the clone army and the redonkulous boba fett tie in for merchandising is enough to make me wish I hadn't wasted the time... Less than a days worth of work... Combined.

I've got an opinion... I'm not gonna try to hammer it home (anymore)...

But ironically... I've just finished watching "the people vs George Lucas". What can be described as " docu-comedy" made in 2009...

I have to admit... Even I think it might be too anti-Lucas...but it really does get to the heart of how Lucas just went down the hole. With particular emphasis on the " special edition " And what it did.
Honestly...it really is good...but R rated. Highly recommend it.

I recently watched all 3 of the original films again, and even at 34, it's still timeless, great movies and great stories.

I tried (again) to watch the prequel trilogy, and again couldn't get through it. It's boring and horribly made. Hopefully Disney does a better job than Lucas did on the prequel.

Sooooooooo......

Trying to steer us back to the "rumors" part of the thread; I'm sure a lot of you had seen the British casting call that was posted HERE and other places.

Here are some of the roles that they were looking to fill. And depending on which incarnation they choose to follow (Thrawn trilogy, YV War, 2nd Civil War, etc...)

This is what was posted and my opinions about who they could be.

-Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Jaina Solo

-Young 20-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

Jacen Solo

-A late 20-something male, fit, handsome and confident.

Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter, Jagged Fel, Face, Kel Tainer

-A 70-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.

Booster Terrik, Gilad Palleon, Thrawn, Joruus C'Boath, Zsinj

-A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.

Tahiri, Syal Antilles, Cheriss ke Hanadi, Tyria Sarkin, Dia Passik, Shalla Nelprin, Lara Notsil (in all her glory)

-A 40-something male, fit, military type.

Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Kyp Durron, Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter (all of these are dependent on which timeframe is used)

-A 30-something male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
Talon Karde

I'm sure I missed a couple of obvious choices. Feel free to correct any of my choices.

Sooooooooo......

Trying to steer us back to the "rumors" part of the thread; I'm sure a lot of you had seen the British casting call that was posted HERE and other places.

Here are some of the roles that they were looking to fill. And depending on which incarnation they choose to follow (Thrawn trilogy, YV War, 2nd Civil War, etc...)

Jaina Solo

-Young 20-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

Jacen Solo

-A 70-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.

Tahiri, Syal Antilles, Cheriss ke Hanadi, Tyria Sarkin, Dia Passik, Shalla Nelprin, Lara Notsil (in all her glory)

Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Kyp Durron, Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter (all of these are dependent on which timeframe is used)

Talon Karde

I'm sure I missed a couple of obvious choices. Feel free to correct any of my choices.

I would put money on them not adapting any established EU

Sooooooooo......

Jaina Solo

Jacen Solo

Talon Karde

You basically picked the characters out of the Timothy Zahn books from 20 years ago and plug them Into a movie.

Who's gonna play the noghri death commandos?
Or perhaps they can have a 75 year old billy dee Williams yelled down a hallway "this is skywalker...the one that took down vader"

Oscar clip.

Those books were using the original characters 10 years in the future...carrie fishers liver was still a shade of pink at that point... As opposed to the color of the Kansas City royals uniforms now.

There's no way in hell anything coming is from a print novel published in the 90's... No way.

And if by some miracle they were to cop to that and go the easy route... God help us. The "EU" (and I'm not taking about the Dutch) stuff is where the Star Wars machine started to go a little off the rails... And Lucas ran with it.

That's not to say its all bad..but alot of it is.

You basically picked the characters out of the Timothy Zahn books from 20 years ago and plug them Into a movie.

Who's gonna play the noghri death commandos?
Or perhaps they can have a 75 year old billy dee Williams yelled down a hallway "this is skywalker...the one that took down vader"

Oscar clip.

Those books were using the original characters 10 years in the future...carrie fishers liver was still a shade of pink at that point... As opposed to the color of the Kansas City royals uniforms now.

There's no way in hell anything coming is from a print novel published in the 90's... No way.

And if by some miracle they were to cop to that and go the easy route... God help us. The "EU" (and I'm not taking about the Dutch) stuff is where the Star Wars machine started to go a little off the rails... And Lucas ran with it.

"So you're saying there's a chance..." ;)

dairylives said:
I would put money on them not adapting any established EU
Lucas and Abrams have both gone on record as saying the EU will not be used. my guess is that is their way of letting the fans down easy. I'd be surprised if they don't use parts of the EU to fill in the gaps between the trilogies. The EU is too jumbled to use all of it. They can set up passing the torch from the big three to characters already created like Jaina, Ben Skywalker, and Allana Solo. That way the EU fans will be happy and casual fans can look up more of the back story if they want to. There are two reasons I think they might go down that road. First, Harrison, Mark, and Carrie's ages are almost a perfect match to their characters at the end of Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse. Second, there is no new series of novels coming out. I know it's wild speculation but with how little information there is out there its all we got at this point.
lockedoutlogic said:

The PP was throwing out characters that fit the casting descriptions from different parts of the EU timeline. The characters from the Hair to the Empire trilogy have been used extensively throughout the EU and are some of the most beloved. As I posted above, I think they will start the new trilogy at the end of the EU novels.

I don't think they'll directly use any EU material. However, they will probably try to avoid breaking any canon established by the EU - but that will only extend as far as it also doesn't interfere with the story they want to tell.

Timothy Zahn said earlier this year that he had some knowledge of something coming down the pike, as he was told back in the 90s when writing his Trilogy that the prequel era was off limits, but recently said that he was ALSO told that a time frame of 40 years post ROTJ was off limits as well, which brings us to the current EU books, which come right up against that timeframe. So the new movies can be original stories, but still keep the EU intact, more or less.

I'm fairly sure it has been said a few times that the material from the EU will not be used. However, I would highly doubt that 100% would be ignored. Coruscant was an EU creation and Lucas used it in the prequels.

I think there will be some elements, like cameos, just enough for EU fans to see that Abrams recognizes them but not make a major impact to the films. Like they could mention, in passing Thrawn or Daala could be an Admiral with minor screen time, similar to Tagge or Motti in ANH. Chewie could have the same story (I'm avoiding what it is, to not spoil it).

As was done with the Abrams Star Trek universe, he will not shy away from creating his own. That doesn't mean he's going to get the Sun Crusher and start a super nova to blow up Yavin 4 or Corellia, but he may be willing to write Jacen and Jaina out as twins and probably cancel Mara Jade as Luke's wife.

Abrams has a lot less control with the storyline than people may think I believe. Arndt is writing the script and you have Kasdan and others helping out. I have a feeling he will have much less control than he has had with star trek. I hope that those writers at bad robot are not allowed near this script at all.

Abrams has a lot less control with the storyline than people may think I believe. Arndt is writing the script and you have Kasdan and others helping out. I have a feeling he will have much less control than he has had with star trek. I hope that those writers at bad robot are not allowed near this script at all.

I'm not sure why you don't think he has control. Just because others are writing it does not mean he has control. Directors always have input that the writers need to take into account. In fact it will be Abrams job to see to it that all the scripts being written work together.

Episode VII (and VIII and IX) are being based on Arndt's treatments. But that doesn't mean Abrams isn't in charge.

Alan Horn talked a little about Star Wars a short time ago at D23 Expo...he said it would be out in Summer 2015, an "it's gonna be great"...but that's all he said about anything in development at LucasFilm before they moved on to Marvel.

I'm going to chalk this one up to false rumor but who knows. :confused3

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2013/08/rumor-ian-mcdiarmid-to-return-for.html

Disappointed by the lack of Star Wars news coming out of D23, well here is a rumor that should help. Our friends over a JediNews are reporting that Ian McDiarmid, the actor who played Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious in the Star Wars saga is set to return for Episode VII.

Assuming the rumor is true, it begs the question of who will McDiarmid be playing? Will he be returning to his role as Palpatine/Sidious or will be returning in a cameo as different character (as Jeremy Bulloch did in Revenge of the Sith)? And if Palpatine is returning, how will that be pulled off? Will he be resurrected? Or perhaps appear in a vision or dream? My money is on the latter, but we never can be quite sure what kind of story their coming up with over at Lucasfilm/Disney/Bad Robot.

Remember this is just a rumor until confirmed by Lucasfilm or Disney.

If it is true I would say he comes back as a Force ghost.

If you just assume every Star Wars VII rumor is false, you will be right far more times then you are wrong. ;)

Yeah...have to agree

This "article" was one fan site quoting another fan site...

That is automatic disqualification due to "geek quotient"

I'm a huge Star Wars fan (and also new to this site) and I wanted to drop in and say, 'hello!'

I also wanted to see what everyone thought of Latino Review's "scoop" about Emperor Palpatine and Obi-Wan returning (potentially as Force Ghosts). Personally, I'm taking anything he says with a grain of salt at this point in time. I don't want this film to turn into a class reunion featuring all of the characters from the previous installments. That would seem rather cheap to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter