Star Wars Day at Sea - fake weapons

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
Traditionally, DCL had warned people against bringing weapons, even fake ones, onboard as part of their Pirate Night costumes. So I am wondering if the same rules apply when they encourage people to wear costumes for the Star Wars Day at Sea. Given how integral blasters and lightsabers are to almost all SW costumes, will it dampen the fun (if only a little bit) if even has to be weapon-free?

Also, I wonder if they will put the kibosh on costumes that are too good - i.e., as good or better than what the CMs wear. Star Wars Weekends let folks get away with this, but I am reminded of that situation a ways back where a guest dressed as Peter Pan (or was it Tinkerbell?) looked so good, park staff asked the guest to remove the costume, put on a t-shirt over it, or leave.

I am sure it'll all be fine, but I am curious as to how DCL will address.

If its clearly a toy then its OK ie lightsabers. If it looks like the real thing ie a gun then its not.

Re Peter Pan the issue is if you look to close to the character enough to confuse people that it might be them, then they ask you to cover up.

Well, that's my point - how ticked off will folks be if they find out only after they're on the ship that their little clone trooper can't carry around his blaster and consequently freaks out? Many of those SW weapon designs are generally just modified WWII weaponry. Will an orange cap on the tip suffice?

And I have seen some really good costumes at SW Weekends. Again, at least as good as what the cast members wear. In other words, easily mistakable as something official and, as you said, thus confusing.

I just think it's in DCL's best interest to make their policy known well ahead of these cruises.

Last edited:
The Peter Pan issue you are referring to were adults dressed like characters on a non dress up day. Their policy is any adult, regardless of how good the costume is, cannot dress up in the parks unless it's an event that indicates you can (such as Star Wars weekends and the halloween parties). My family loves dressing up and this past halloween I went as tinkerbell, my son Peter Pan, and my husband as Captain Hook. My husband's costume in particular was especially convincing and he actually had people line up to meet him. CMs laughed along with us about this and never asked him to take his costume off. I've heard issues only arise when those peopl wearing the convincing costumes actually go with it and start doing things like giving autographs. That's when they'll take issue with it.

Well, that's my point - how ticked off will folks be if they find out only after they're on the ship that their little clone trooper can't carry around his blaster and consequently freaks out? Many of those SW weapon designs are generally just modified WWII weaponry. Will an orange cap on the tip suffice?

Are we talking about a homemade blaster? The toy blasters are quite obviously that, toys since there is currently no such thing as a blaster. I don't see DCL having a problem with toy blasters but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Ah. I thought the PP issue was on a NSSHP night. Thx.

As far as toy weapons go, I don't have a specific example in mind, but again, I keep going back to the very "black and white" ban they have on the toy swords.

Is anyone really going to mistake one of those things for a real weapon? And why is it OK to let kids brandish those in the parks but not on the ships?

Slightly off topic, but this thread reminded me that I needed to look a little closer at the Princess Leia blaster (since DH wants me to dress up as her for our Star Wars day at sea, and DD also wants to be her). While looking at images of her and her blaster I noticed something...she had TERRIBLE trigger control! LOL

ON topic, though, I had wondered about the weapons for pirate night...they wouldn't honestly confiscate a plastic or foam pirate sword, would they? After encouraging costumes?

I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars merchandise, including weapons will be available in the shops on board. As long as it looks like a toy you will be ok. And most toys are plastic, so they don't show up on the metal detector. And I think DCL will be ready for a storm trooper invasion on these cruises!

SillyInventor - Thanks. That's aggravating. They make the rule sound so hard and fast, and then don't enforce it. I've told my kids twice now "no swords" because I thought DCL would not allow it.

Mom 2 2 Plus 3 - that Leia blaster is a good example of what I am talking about. Upon close inspection, it's clearly a prop. But it's based on a real Russian pistol (just with some doo-dads slapped onto it). At first blush, it could be mistaken for a real firearm. I wonder if that will be an issue.

If I remember well plastic swords were sold on board...
Just make sure you buy them items that can do no harm when swung around and accidentally hit other guests o_O

Perhaps the faulty memory is mine. I can't recall ever seeing swords on sale, and I would swear that I had seen, on multiple occasions, clear policy that no weapons, real or fake, would be allowed at the Pirate Party.

Traditionally, DCL had warned people against bringing weapons, even fake ones, onboard as part of their Pirate Night costumes.

And that's not something that is in ANY way enforced. There will be tons of swords on pirate night. Tons. They SELL them.

I am reminded of that situation a ways back where a guest dressed as Peter Pan (or was it Tinkerbell?) looked so good, park staff asked the guest to remove the costume, put on a t-shirt over it, or leave.

And now the rule at WDW and DLR has been changed. You can look it up; it's nowhere near as strict as it was before. It happened in the aftermath of the teen dressed as Tink.

Their policy is any adult, regardless of how good the costume is, cannot dress up in the parks

Not anymore. It's lightened up.

My husband's costume in particular was especially convincing and he actually had people line up to meet him.

Now THAT is explicitly against the rules now.

Now THAT is explicitly against the rules now.

Not to cause an argument, but I'm trying to figure out where you got these updated rules? Directly from the Disney website:

Attire that is not appropriate for the parks—and which may result in refusal of admittance—includes but is not limited to:
  • Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
  • Adults can visit the parks if their hair (or makeup, if applicable) resembles a Disney Princess or character, provided that they are not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

Like I said, these rules do not apply on Halloween parties/events advertised where dressing up is encouraged. The story with my husband happened this past Halloween (so 4 months ago), and they were completely ok with realistic costumes as long as you don't encourage lines/autographs. My husband laughed and made it immediately clear he was not a CM.

We were on the Fantasy last December and I had my 3 year old GS dressed up as a pirate at BBB. The outfit included a plastic sword and he would not let it go for next two days. At dinner the CM's and the people at the next table would have mini sword fights with him.

We took foam Dollar Store type swords for our young kids. No problem. I was annoyed when a kid had some sort of loaded toy gun in the MDR and shot it (presumably accidentally) into the the back of my four year old's chair. The mother was extremely apologetic so I let it go. But why would a child be allowed to bring a toy that shoots pellets onto the ship, much less into a crowded dining room?

I can see the pseudo ban on weapons in that you get the kids with the pellet (plastic) guns and kids with hard plastic swords whacking each other and everyone else.... When I packed the toy swords, I wondered which was more likely to be confiscated - the swords or my glue "gun". Lol. (Neither was.)

As for Star Wars and pirate night, I think it's important to really think about perception. If a person has an obviously fake/toy/pretend item, there isn't likely to be much push back as long as it's not a hazard. So, a light saber is clearly not real. But if a kid has one that you flick open, and they are not being careful, it's more likely something might be (politely) said. By the same token, a foam or small plastic sword will be unlikely to raise concern, whereas a larger, realistic metallic looking sword with a realistic scabbard might - especially if carried by an adult.

And bringing props that look like firearms is a whole different category. For Halloween (not Disney) I dressed as a character that carries guns, and I had a couple of realistic looking toy guns in holsters. When we went trick or treating with the kids, I left those behind because I didn't want some poor homeowner thinking they might be real and being concerned.

I think "the rules" are put in place to protect passengers and crew, and keep people feeling safe. So I personally would err on the side of making sure any "weapon" was obviously a non-threatening toy/prop. And, if the "no weapons" rule is still in place, I'd be prepared to have to leave them behind. That's another reason I brought Dollar Store swords.

As for costumes: Maybe if you plan on a really, really realistic costume, you can prepare a simple sign that says, "Hi, I'm Bob from Cincinatti. I am not a real pirate. <Happy Face>". If there's any problem, you can offer to wear your sign. Lol. But I've seen some very realistic looking pirates and never seen anything said.

I was on mobile earlier, trying to finish up before meeting with a realtor....

Not to cause an argument, but I'm trying to figure out where you got these updated rules?

Eh, no one's happy with what I've been posting recently.

There were a couple long threads on the themeparks forum when the rules changed. Can't find it now (what a shock that WDW makes things impossible to find three times in a row) but first, it used to be MUCH more stringent that NO costumes were allowed for those older than child-age (aka 9). What you quoted is actually a lot looser than it used to be.

Attire that is not appropriate for the parks—and which may result in refusal of admittance—includes but is not limited to:
  • Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
  • Adults can visit the parks if their hair (or makeup, if applicable) resembles a Disney Princess or character, provided that they are not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

That's actually saying you can wear a costume BUT not do your hair and makeup to look exactly like the character. Or vice versa. (which, about someone I mentioned below, isn't followed with a guy that regularly dresses in full costume and is in the parks) And you could wear a "costume", but not a Costume that would make you look exactly the same. Used to be much different.

And there was, just a month or so ago, a phrase that when paraphrased discussed causing a disruption to park activity, aka letting people take pictures with you or sign autographs when dressed as a character.

The Tinkerbell thing and that guy who dresses as Jack Sparrow and is at the parks quite often (NOT the actual character, but one that goes on rides and eats at restaurants and such) have watered down what WDW used to forbid. Not to mention "disbounding", which has now been actively encouraged by rundisney, and the elaborate costumes that many Japanese tourists tend to dress in, which I'm guessing started in Tokyo's park.

Those were discussed at length when the rules changed over on the themeparks forum.

Last edited:
My 9 year old son dressed as Han Solo for the Halloween festivities last year on one of the Wonder Halloween on the High Seas cruise. He had his fake plastic orange blaster, we brought it in our checked luggage and he carried it around that evening with no problem. Chip and Dale even posed with him in a cute "Han shot first" pose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter