Star Wars and Disney???

bwilcox

DIS Veteran
I was telling my DH that we will be at WDW during SWW, and he asked something that I am now wondering myself. What does Star Wars have to do with Disney? Did they produce the movies or something? Obviously I'm a little clueless when it comes to Star Wars.:confused3

I hate to spoil the ending for you if you haven't watched "Return of the Jedi".

Not only is Darth Vader, Luke's father, but he is none other than Walt Disney!!!

Okay, seriously, I think MGM was the distributer of at least some of the Star Wars movies.

I hate to spoil the ending for you if you haven't watched "Return of the Jedi".

Not only is Darth Vader, Luke's father, but he is none other than Walt Disney!!!

Okay, seriously, I think MGM was the distributer of at least some of the Star Wars movies.

Nope, 20th Century Fox was behind all of the Star Wars films. IIRC, the link is through George Lucas/Lucasfilm. George was (I think) asked to design some attractions for WDW.

Nope, 20th Century Fox was behind all of the Star Wars films. IIRC, the link is through George Lucas/Lucasfilm. George was (I think) asked to design some attractions for WDW.

I believe this is correct. Star Tours was created via GL and Disney Imagineers in the late 80's (yikes?!)

Hmm, after posting that, one would think there's be a stronger tie but that is all I can think of.

Don't forget PIXAR started as a division of Lucas Film.;)

The link is that Lucas and Disney Imagineering combined forces in the 1980s to open Star Tours at Disneyland in California. They would later join forces for the Indiana Jones stunt show at the DHS, and again for the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. There's also an Indy themed coaster at DLRP and an attraction at Tokyo DisneySea.

Lucasfilm also initially owned Pixar. Pixar did some computer effects for movies such as Star Trek II and Return of the Jedi before Lucasfilm sold off Pixar in the mid 80s. The two companies still have a great relationship today evidenced by the numerous Star Wars references in Pixar films, and the use of the omnidroid in The Incredibles.

I think the Star Wars Weekends began at WDW in 2000. The Jedi Training Academy (once exclusive to the Star Wars Weekends) became a regular part of entertainment offerings throughout the whole year in 2006. Disneyland also began to offer the Jedi Training Academy in 2006, though it's my understanding that kids only fight Darth Maul at Star Wars Weekends in Florida, while Maul always comes out to fight kids(along with Vader) at Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter