Star Tours!!

lapdwife

DIS Veteran
We were lucky enough to experience the new attraction yesterday. We all really enjoyed it. We were not allowed to take pictures (although I'll admit I did sneak a few), BUT apparently OC Weekly was there at the same time as us and did take some pics. We talked about looking for ourselves on the Christmas thread photos once- well low and behold I spot our family in a couple of these pics, very cool :) Here's a link to the blog

Awesome.

I've heard from somone in WDW that they rode, not sure how. But without giving away details there are some interesting surprises in the ride.

If anyone is really curious ST in WDW officially opens on Friday so pictures and videos should start to emerge on the internet soon.

cloudconnected1039 -

I was just wondering a few seconds ago if any AP holders had received that notification yet. I see I am not the only one who has not heard anything!

lapdwife -

Okay, here's the main thing I am curious about, and you should probably be able to answer without giving anything away, hopefully.

Does the new version of Star Tours seem to be wilder and bumpier in any way? Is it more thrill ride-esque now? I ask because the original Star Tours was one of those rides that was borderline 'too much' for my friends - I was willing to go on it but my friends all seemed to get headaches or get queasy afterwards because the jerking and bumping along with the action on the screen was too much for them. One of them didn't like the "drops" in the ride (wherever those were, if they were there:confused3).

Does this new version seem any more rollicking and jolting than the original, or is it pretty much the same? I'm sure the 3-D aspect of it adds an extra layer of excitement.

cloudconnected1039 -

I was just wondering a few seconds ago if any AP holders had received that notification yet. I see I am not the only one who has not heard anything!

No offense, but I'm glad you haven't heard anything either!! :rotfl: I was getting worried because for some reason, today stuck out in my mind as the day we would get notified. But, maybe not?? :confused3 I'd really like to go, so I'm hoping nothings been announced yet!! :goodvibes

I actually did the ride at WDW this weekend and LOVED it!! (It was a soft open and they allowed anyone in that was there on, but asked that there be no photography or videotaping.) I did not think it was any more jarring or rough than the original, if anything I thought it was smoother. It could depend on which sequence (or combination of sequences) you get. I was excited to see some familiar faces in my ride (i hope that doesn't spoil anything!) And the 3D was the best I've ever seen, hands down. I can't wait to go back and travel to some new locations :)

No offense, but I'm glad you haven't heard anything either!! :rotfl: I was getting worried because for some reason, today stuck out in my mind as the day we would get notified. But, maybe not?? :confused3 I'd really like to go, so I'm hoping nothings been announced yet!! :goodvibes

No offense taken! :rotfl2: I totally understand! When I saw your post about not hearing anything yet, I thought, "Okay, good - so it's not just me!":rotfl2: There definitely was some fine print somewhere that said the people selected would be notified on or around May 16. The people who won the Parks Blog contest were notified on the exact day they were supposed to be notified, so I'm hoping it will be the same for the AP preview winners.

I haven't heard of any other AP holders getting word yet, so I think we are in the clear so far!:rotfl2:

I actually did the ride at WDW this weekend and LOVED it!! (It was a soft open and they allowed anyone in that was there on, but asked that there be no photography or videotaping.) I did not think it was any more jarring or rough than the original, if anything I thought it was smoother. It could depend on which sequence (or combination of sequences) you get. I was excited to see some familiar faces in my ride (i hope that doesn't spoil anything!) And the 3D was the best I've ever seen, hands down. I can't wait to go back and travel to some new locations :)

Thank you for that bit of info, katemonster2508! I will pass it on to my friends that at least one person said it was no more jarring than the original. I have a feeling the only way I will get any of them on this new one (which is unfamiliar territory, so they will be suspicious!) is to tell them that it is not going to be any more harrowing or rough than the old one. They don't need to know just yet that different versions of the rides have different sequences and the experience may differ each time.;) I'll spring that on them later on down the road. I will just tell them that it's no worse than the original!;):rotfl2:

Then again, I have one friend who used to love sitting in the back row of Star Tours because that seemed to be the wildest ride in the whole vehicle, so she may actually prefer a more jarring adventure.

No offense taken! :rotfl2: I totally understand! When I saw your post about not hearing anything yet, I thought, "Okay, good - so it's not just me!":rotfl2: There definitely was some fine print somewhere that said the people selected would be notified on or around May 16. The people who won the Parks Blog contest were notified on the exact day they were supposed to be notified, so I'm hoping it will be the same for the AP preview winners.

I haven't heard of any other AP holders getting word yet, so I think we are in the clear so far!:rotfl2:

Ironically, I just received my notification!! :yay: Check your email as well!!

lapdwife -

Okay, here's the main thing I am curious about, and you should probably be able to answer without giving anything away, hopefully.

Does the new version of Star Tours seem to be wilder and bumpier in any way? Is it more thrill ride-esque now? .

I had a hard time writing my first post, as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone! I've had people argue with me that no, it's a whole different ride simulator and it is not. I was shocked to walk in and see the old seats and yes it's obvious. I don't think there was any more jarring than previously. I don't ride Indy for that reason ;) The ac, as previously leaked is very cold. I think that had more to do with the 3D, which is incredible. One thing I am telling friends though, is look for our old friend Rex :)

I am soooooo excited!!!! I got notification that we won the AP preview for the 31st!! YAY!!!! :) I'm glad it's fun, I can't wait to ride it! :)

Sherry, my email came around 4....did you get anything??

I am soooooo excited!!!! I got notification that we won the AP preview for the 31st!! YAY!!!! :) I'm glad it's fun, I can't wait to ride it! :)

Sherry, my email came around 4....did you get anything??

Yes, I sure did! I got the preview slot for the 31st (that's 2 weeks from tomorrow, right?), between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.:cool1: I asked for 4 people when I entered the contest thingy, but they only gave me 2 spots - one for me and one for another person. Not sure if that was an accident or if they just decided to limit me to only bringing one other AP holder.:confused3

In any case, I have to see if can go for sure.

One thing I am telling friends though, is look for our old friend Rex :)

Oooh! Ooohh! I have to tell DS right away!! He has been stalking the rumor sites etc for a year... and has been counting down the days... he will be BEYOND THRILLED!!

Thank you! He will be even more excited if that is possible. :rotfl2:

Happy for all the winners. :goodvibes Just so you know, not all APH won, I didn't :confused3 Good thing I get to go Friday. ;) Would have been nice if I didn't have to get up so early but it'll be an adventure, like being on vacation in WDW. :)

Happy for all the winners. :goodvibes Just so you know, not all APH won, I didn't :confused3 Good thing I get to go Friday. ;) Would have been nice if I didn't have to get up so early but it'll be an adventure, like being on vacation in WDW. :)

I am very surprised that you didn't win :confused3 I thought that maybe they would prevent people who won the Disney Parks blog contest to win again for the AP one, but I won both! I am going this Friday, and I got the AP one for Monday! I can't do both though, that would be a lot of back and forth driving, and living 5 hours away doesn't help. Although I am off Sunday night, Monday & Tuesday, so it's almost perfect that I have that specific time off. But I just don't think it's gonna work out.
But I am glad to be going this Friday though, so I can bring a friend :)
I'm also happy to see so many DISers getting the chance to preview it! & I am glad to hear it was a great ride! Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter