Standard Room at Pop Century

krisgil88

Earning My Ears
We have booked a standard room at Pop Century from Aug 17-23. I called the other day to upgrade to a preferred room and there were none available, but I plan to keep trying If we can't get a preferred room I'm wondering if
someone can tell me how far we could be from the main building? Is it worth the extra money? We're trying to save money, but now I'm not sure if this is a good way to skimp :confused3

Kris (41) :banana: DH (38) :cool1: DS (9) :cool2: DS (6) :yay:

for me - it isn't worth the extra money.

you will be just fine.

only a few minutes more. plus you can get a lake view with standard view.

We stayed in a standard room at Pop last June for the first time. We were in the 80's (I think building 7) and had the computer pool right downstairs from our room. It was about a 4 or 5 minute walk to the food court/ check in and when we went to the bus stop we cut through the parking lot and were there in no time. It's your vacation so its up to you but we are going back in July and booked a standard room.

We were once "upgraded" to a preferred room at Pop Century. I didn't like it at all. It was TOO close to everything.

We've stayed in the 80s and that was fine for us but we do want to be away from everything.

Last month, we stayed in the 50s and I was pleasantly surprised to like it. Building Two was a short walk to everything. Just through the 60s and there you are. Hippy Dippy Pool after the 60s and the bowling pin pool right there in the 50s (we had a pool view room for some reason - didn't ask for it).

We just stayed in the 70's, on the backside that faced the Potato Heads and it was great. It was so quiet, and it was maybe a 4-5 minute walk to the food court or any of the pools. It was also very close to a parking lot which was nice since we drove and brought our own fridge. I asked DH if we would have rather stayed in a preferred room and he said definitely NOT. Too close to everyone and all that noise. :rotfl: We'll definitely do a standard room next time we stay.

Nothing is more than a 5 minute walk from classic hall and preferred rooms are generally noisier because they all face the main pool.

Floor aside, you will not be more than 750 feet from the center of Classic Hall. You will probably be much closer, plus if you're in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, you're closer than that to the bus stop and Everything Pop.

The entire resort, from the far corner of the 90s building to the opposite far corner of the 50s (about the same whether it's building 2 or building 3), is 1,500 feet.

Thank you to all who have responded. We will keep our standard room and save the extra money for something else :thumbsup2

Our favorite building is the Mickey Phone building in the 70's section. We have been in that location twice.

We did NOT like the Roger Rabbit building in the 80's because if you stay on the path it is a bit of a hike. Even cutting across the parking lot it is still a bit of a hike.

We've never stayed in a preferred building, but I can see how being right in the middle of the resort would be much noisier than being off to one side.

We have booked a standard room at Pop Century from Aug 17-23. I called the other day to upgrade to a preferred room and there were none available, but I plan to keep trying If we can't get a preferred room I'm wondering if
someone can tell me how far we could be from the main building? Is it worth the extra money? We're trying to save money, but now I'm not sure if this is a good way to skimp :confused3

We had a standard room last September at POP and requested the play-dough building. It's the 60s and just off the petal pool. We faced the back, away from the lobby and it wasn't a far walk at all. Heck, people were about 15 feet away & paid or a preferred.

We stayed in a standard room at Pop last June for the first time. We were in the 80's (I think building 7) and had the computer pool right downstairs from our room. It was about a 4 or 5 minute walk to the food court/ check in and when we went to the bus stop we cut through the parking lot and were there in no time. It's your vacation so its up to you but we are going back in July and booked a standard room.

We stayed in this same building I think it is great!! I would save that extra money for more Tye Dye Cheesecake:banana:

Wow, we had preferred last fall and would gladly do it again. I think the convenience is a great value. We've stayed standard at ASMu, and mods and found the extra walking to be a hassle. Time is money at WDW. I can see if you geta close room the a regular room isn't bad, but if you get stuck, then you get stuck. I think it also matters quite a bit if you are first floor or not. If you ahve to wait for elevator or take stairs , then navige all over the upper floors to get to you room that is a quite a bit longer than any first floor room.

But Music is laid out relatively poorly, especially considering the newer Value resorts.

Movies and Pop are closer to round, or at least broad ovals. Music, on the other hand, is long and narrow - so rooms in County Fair are particularly far from everything.

We don't pay for Preffered and have never had a problem. Our favorite is the 50's and 70's facing the lake. Its nice and quiet back there -gives a whole different feel, yet its a couple of feet to the hub bub of the resort.

We didn't pay for a preferred room either time we stayed. The first time we were in the 70's section near the big wheel and were really close to the main building. The second time we were in the 50's section in the building with the jukebox, when we walked outside the room we had a view of the lake and the abandoned Legendary Years section and we were right above the bowling pin pool. This room was pretty far from the main building in my opinion but still close enough not to feel like it was a hike. I would definitely not pay for a preferred room.

I just called to ask a question. We also wanted preferred and could not get it for our stay in a week. So I asked if it is everything in those buildings or just certain floors. They said preferred is usually only floor 1, so I am going to see if we can get the 60s Baloo building 4th floor, near the pop jets and hippy dippy pool.

You don't know unless you ask.

I just called to ask a question. We also wanted preferred and could not get it for our stay in a week. So I asked if it is everything in those buildings or just certain floors. They said preferred is usually only floor 1, so I am going to see if we can get the 60s Baloo building 4th floor, near the pop jets and hippy dippy pool.

You don't know unless you ask.

And sometimes even when you do ask.. you may not be given correct information.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that it's all floors on certain 'faces' of the buildings.

See this map for details: (yellow lines indicate areas with preferred rooms - all floors)

PopCenturyRoomsPref.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter