Standard Rate for Renting Points... and commercial/professional renters...

I would confirm with MS but that is my understanding from reading other posts and my situation with MS. At first I was surprised but after thinking about it is probably fair since why sould someone who has been witing on the waitlist for months not get first shot at the room. Why should a friend by pass everyone on the waitlist and get the room. People may not like it but it appears to be fair.
Very interesting. I always thought this would be a great idea. With one simple rule change, you eliminate 90-95% of the "problems" of commercial renters.

However, there does need to be an offset. If a member (1) has to cancel a reservation at the last minute, (2) has someone else lined up to take that reservation, but (3) is unable to pass the reservation to the person they've lined up because someone on the waitlist gets it instead, that member shouldn't be punished. They points should come back "clean" to the member.

I just called MS and had them check into wait I was told yesterday and other people have reported. The MS personed check with other people in the office and said that there are new MS personal that are being trained and that they are telling people the wrong information. They will pass on the problem to training. The MS advisor said you can still change the name and address on your reservation/waitlist.

First question:
Second question: That seems to be a very successful strategy for maximizing income, particularly on eBay - from what I understand from others here. Book the reservation and sell it to the highest bidder. It seems to work less well on this site - probably because "per point" is so well engrained in people's behavior. I think also that since the points per week change so much per season - or per period - its a hard thing to advertise without a specific week booked - which lowers the flexibility for the person renting points.

To recieve a higher price on the DIS you must book a desired week, and wait till you are close to the reservation (60 days out) to post it. At that time you can access how must to ask for the reservation b/c you can determine what CRO it getting for a similiar reservation at that timeframe.

To recieve a higher price on the DIS you must book a desired week, and wait till you are close to the reservation (60 days out) to post it. At that time you can access how must to ask for the reservation b/c you can determine what CRO it getting for a similiar reservation at that timeframe.

That's interesting - does that put you at risk of getting "stuck" with the reservation or needing to fire sale it? It sounds like you have had good luck with that strategy.

OK, I'll be the anti-Dean here and be not so political. I find the original post hilarious. Here is someone with a bunch of points they only use to rent out and generate income (hmm, what does that sound like). He rents out his points for <$12/point. But he wants everybody else to be patient and strong and hold out for more money.

But telling other people to hold strong and be patient to make it easier for you to get more money on the points-you-own-to-rent-for-income - yeah right.

Ok, just for clarification, this is hardly an income stream... My little 150 point contract isn't going to go very far making me $700 per year after dues. As to your statement about being easier to rent at lower dollar amounts, I agree. But then I had to make it easy since I had to cancel a personal reservation due to pregnancy and find someone to take the points off my hands before 3/1/07 or I was out 137 points for the year. I believe those are normally called distressed points.

This topic came into being after I had completed my rentals at the normal $10 per point and then got my dues statement in the mail. In the frustration of seeing how much I didn't get after paying dues I wrote the first message in this chain. I've actually learned a lot from several people and only been insulted by a few :rolleyes: so I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

I am curious as to what made you think I was a commercial renter though...

Joshua

That's interesting - does that put you at risk of getting "stuck" with the reservation or needing to fire sale it? It sounds like you have had good luck with that strategy.

I think it would work, as I see alot of renters looking for ressies that are 60 days or sometimes less out. But then again I see DVC owners trying to rent out points that are going bad in 30-60 days.

This may have been covered ad nauseum before but here I go anyway :rolleyes1

I just got my statement telling me what the maint. fees are going to be for this year at Boardwalk. I know that they are going to go up every year but I believe this is the 3rd year in a row that they have gone up by at least 10%.

I typically try to rent out at least enough points to cover the cost of my fees each year. With this increase I'm wondering if other members that rent their points would consider a rate change to reflect our higher costs.

Moving from the standard $10 a point to $11 or $12 per point isn't going to ruin our chances of renting (we are still well below what Disney is getting). Most of my renters are looking for 45-75 points. The new pricing would cost them an extra $100 on average. It isn't going to break them but will definately offset our extra expense for a while longer.

One thing that it might help with is thinning the herd so to speak. In my last round of point offerings I must have gotten 20 PM's the first day of potential buyers. I was only able to help 3 of them before I ran out of points but I now believe that if I had asked $12 per point I would have gotten a third of the responses and still rented all of the points, especially if I wasn't being undercut by other owners.

Ok, I'll relinquish the soapbox... Don't worry, I'm a firefighter so feel free to flame on, I can take it :firefight

Tell me what you guys think...

Joshua

Didn't you have almost this exact same thread four years ago?

I think the one thing that most DVC owners who rent some or all of their points do not realize is that there are far more people seeking to rent points from DVC owners than points made available by DVC owners. Let's face it, if the market were truly flooded with points, there would be no reason to rent points from an owner for more than $9.00 per point. Yet many of us who have been renting points for awhile are doing so in the $12.00 to $13.00 per point range and sometimes more. We indeed (I know most find this hard to believe) turn down offers of less than the above figures because we: 1. do not feel pressured to rent for less and have NEVER lost points because they could not be used or rented, and. 2. Do not want to respond to between 40 and 50 e-mails for each post to people looking to rent points at $10.00 per point or less. Beach Club, Boardwalk, Wiilderness and, yes, even Vero points are at a premium if your dates are firm...try to rent a standard view studio at the Boardwalk at 7 months out, Boardwalk, Beach Club or Wilderness around the school vacations, holidays, the marathon or the Food and Wine Festival or a Beach Cottage at Vero during the summer. Unless those reservations are made with home resort points, it simply won't be available at 7 months. For that ability, points must command a higher premium. I would guess that BW, BC, WLV and Vero are near 100% capacity and fully booked by 3 months out. Points that are offered with an expiration in 30-60 days have virtually no value since, regardless of the price asked, there are no rooms available. I think the lesson to be learned here is that the rental prices will only increase through better planning of point usage by the members and the realization that there are far more people seeking to rent points from members that members renting points.

Didn't you have almost this exact same thread four years ago?

That is so weird, I didn't even remember that thread until you mentioned it. Now I'm kicking myself for not taking my own advise :confused3 Ah well, at least I can honestly say I had to do it this time due to time constraints.

Not sure who NutHut is, but no, it's not me...

Joshua

This is all very interesting. The weekends do hurt the week long price but the renter may be able to check out to a Disney property and then recheck back in to a DVC property to still save considerable money. Disney will move them, free of charge, of course, there is tipping.

Have I accidently stumbled into the commercial renters group? :scared1:

I think the one thing that most DVC owners who rent some or all of their points do not realize is that there are far more people seeking to rent points from DVC owners than points made available by DVC owners. Let's face it, if the market were truly flooded with points, there would be no reason to rent points from an owner for more than $9.00 per point. Yet many of us who have been renting points for awhile are doing so in the $12.00 to $13.00 per point range and sometimes more. We indeed (I know most find this hard to believe) turn down offers of less than the above figures because we: 1. do not feel pressured to rent for less and have NEVER lost points because they could not be used or rented, and. 2. Do not want to respond to between 40 and 50 e-mails for each post to people looking to rent points at $10.00 per point or less. Beach Club, Boardwalk, Wiilderness and, yes, even Vero points are at a premium if your dates are firm...try to rent a standard view studio at the Boardwalk at 7 months out, Boardwalk, Beach Club or Wilderness around the school vacations, holidays, the marathon or the Food and Wine Festival or a Beach Cottage at Vero during the summer. Unless those reservations are made with home resort points, it simply won't be available at 7 months. For that ability, points must command a higher premium. I would guess that BW, BC, WLV and Vero are near 100% capacity and fully booked by 3 months out. Points that are offered with an expiration in 30-60 days have virtually no value since, regardless of the price asked, there are no rooms available. I think the lesson to be learned here is that the rental prices will only increase through better planning of point usage by the members and the realization that there are far more people seeking to rent points from members that members renting points.

Proverbial nail on the head.

I am curious as to what made you think I was a commercial renter though...Joshua
Given the baggage certain words have around here I would never call anybody a commercial renter.

I did point out that you bought points that you don't intend to use for yourself, but intend to rent out year over year in order to make money.

Given the baggage certain words have around here I would never call anybody a commercial renter.

I did point out that you bought points that you don't intend to use for yourself, but intend to rent out year over year in order to make money.

And that is probably the definition many of use to mean a "commercial renter".

Well, if that is the definition then I'll admit it... My name is Joshua and I'm a commercial renter...

However, what the definition ignores is that we didn't have a choice but to purchase more points than we could consistently use year after year. When we bought BWV in '98 we didn't know anything about the resale market or the possibility of purchasing smaller contracts than the 150 minimum that Disney was offering to finance for us. The only way we were able to afford to purchase when we did was to use the money they offered to comp our Disney Institue stay as the majority of the down payment and the only way to get that bonus was to purchase 150 points.

In the years since then we have averaged one trip every 18 months or so and I just can't stomach spending the amount of points required for Friday and Saturday night. In fact the one trip that we made that was longer than our typical 5 night stay we used BCV for Su-Th, moved to the DoubleTree for Fr-Sa and then came back to Disney's OKW for Su-Th.

Well this has strayed from the OP a bit but I just wanted to clarify my position on the term commercial renter. I really don't have a problem with it. Personally I can't think of a time that availability has affected me or my plans. I travel at off peak times and stay at lower demand resorts, if I wanted to stay in a Grand Villa during the peak season then I would wake up at 5am 11-months out and start dialing, just like everybody else that is planning a logisticaly difficult vacation.

So in the end, I will continue to make my vacation plans the way I always have. And when I have points that can't be banked again I will come here to allow somebody else the opportunity to upgrade their vacation and not break their budget. If that makes me a commercial renter then so be it...

...However, what the definition ignores is that we didn't have a choice but to purchase more points than we could consistently use year after year. When we bought BWV in '98 we didn't know anything about the resale market or the possibility of purchasing smaller contracts than the 150 minimum that Disney was offering to finance for us. ...

You think 150 points are too much????? Hah, how can we manage to use up 500 points each year?:lmao:

And you are looking to buy more points? That you can't use???

I am confused here. :confused3

You think 150 points are too much????? Hah, how can we manage to use up 500 points each year?:lmao:

And you are looking to buy more points? That you can't use???

I am confused here. :confused3

Guess from looking at life through 2br villa colored glasses, that is a small amount. It's bad that I have started to memorize the point charts. Did you know a 2br at SSR and VB are the same amount for Sun-Thurs during Premier period?

I need to get a life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter