Standard Protocol for Waitlists

MouseOfCards

Finally jumped in . . .
Does Disney have a consistent protocol for waitlists?

If a DVC member cancels a reservation that matches another member's existing waitlist, which of the following occurs?
A. The system automatically checks and fills existing waitlists.
B. The rooms/dates go into holding until a CM can manually check it against existing waitlists.
C. The rooms/dates become available to everyone, and a CM manually checks this like all users.
D. Other?

Historically it's been C. With fairly recent changes it seems that this happens less but it's still happening so that dates are showing up to others and not being held for the wait list consistently. I'm not sure I can speak to the exact chain of events of the newest version, maybe someone else can.

Does Disney have a consistent protocol for waitlists?

If a DVC member cancels a reservation that matches another member's existing waitlist, which of the following occurs?
A. The system automatically checks and fills existing waitlists.
B. The rooms/dates go into holding until a CM can manually check it against existing waitlists.
C. The rooms/dates become available to everyone, and a CM manually checks this like all users.
D. Other?

IMO, it's D.

I believe there is a scheduled program that matches inventory with waitlists. (It can also probably be kicked off manually in between scheduled runs at MS's discretion). The program takes the matches out of inventory and deposits them into a file. A CM then uses that file to complete the tasks that end with a reservation. Waitlist matches are probably worked when the phones aren't busy and also in the order of nearest arrival date(s) first. In between scheduled runs, cancellations are returned to the main inventory and are available to anyone.

This explains why some can call in and "miraculously" find that their waitlist has come through. (CM checks the file when they call and if the match is in the file, the CM completes the manual tasks necessary to complete the new reservation).

It also explains why some can find what they need by "stalking".

It can also explain why the waitlist seems to be working better than it has in the past - scheduled runs have been changed to run more often or MS is kicking off some unscheduled runs during the day.

JMHO, based mostly on what I've been told. YMMV.

I was told that matching was run at night after MS closes and worked the following day by a waitlist team which made it seem like it runs during the day. That is also why you can snag a reservation since the match hasn't run yet.

:earsboy: Bill

According to Tim @ DVCNews.com, all cancellations are supposed to be matched against the wait list before that room is released. This supposedly went into effect in July 2015.

To eliminate this lag, an element of realtime waitlist matching has been introduced. Now when a cancellation occurs, the waitlist will be immediately queried to see if a request exists for that date / resort / room type. If there is a pending waitlist request, the villa will be placed in an administrative hold pending review by a Member Services representative. Creation of the new reservation is still a manual process managed by Member Services, but there is seemingly no chance of room types which are covered by a pending waitlist request slipping into the general availability pool.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...ffice-changes-aim-to-improve-waitlist-success

According to Tim @ DVCNews.com, all cancellations are supposed to be matched against the wait list before that room is released. This supposedly went into effect in July 2015.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...ffice-changes-aim-to-improve-waitlist-success

That may be the intent, but I can personally attest to that system not working very well for my December 2015 reservation. I had waitlists in effect for the exact same thing I was able to book online. But it was a busy time so perhaps not all the CMs were able to take those extra steps. I know from personal experience managing call centers that there is a lot of pressure on the Reps to get those calls answered in a timely manner.

It may be supposed to always grab cancelled rooms for the waitlist, but it doesn't always work that way.

I was able to grab three nights in a akv concierge studio for the first week of January 2016 at only a month out. You know there was a waitlist for that studio for one of the busiest weeks of the year. But I booked it at only a month out by stalking the resort availability tool.

The problem with the waitlist is your dates have to match the cancelled dates. For example, if you waitlist 10/1 to 10/5 and 9/30 to 10/4 is cancelled, you are passed by. When I first became a member in 1999, you could request a partial waitlist, so if any of your nights come through they would fill those nights. That's no longer available.

And I think it worked that way for about a month LOL. I remember more reports of WLs coming through without stalking. And then it trickled off and stalking started working again and even being necessary again.

That may be the intent, but I can personally attest to that system not working very well for my December 2015 reservation. I had waitlists in effect for the exact same thing I was able to book online. But it was a busy time so perhaps not all the CMs were able to take those extra steps. I know from personal experience managing call centers that there is a lot of pressure on the Reps to get those calls answered in a timely manner.
Your comment has been echoed by many. It's still a broken system. Advice to those on waitlist..keep checking the RAT.

I had 1 night waitlisted at BC last month. Ended up getting it by stalking and not by WL. On the other hand, I have had a very last minute wait list come through for marathon week (3 days too!). I figure a WL is nice to have, but I don't rely on it.

Last edited:
The waitlist can be a mystery indeed. I just made someone very happy today. I had to drop 2 nights in October for the 19th and 20th at BWV/standard/studio. I'm pretty sure it went to the waitlist as I was curious and was watching the website. Those days never made it to the RAT. I was on less than 1 minute after modifying and the CM asked me about 10 times if I was sure!!! and it never popped up. I refreshed several times. Now if someone would release the one night my daughter needs for BCV studio for Monday Oct. 24th. Been on the waitlist for months now and nothing. I stalk the RAT several times a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter