standard AKL or Dolphin ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
We like the bunkbed opyion and large pool at AKL - but it is far away from the Parks.

The Dolpin we can get for about the same price as a standard AKL room - and is close to MGM, EPCOT and the Boardwalk.

Our DD & DS will not sleep together - ages 14 & 11.

AKL - bunbeds and a queen bed
Dolphin - 2 queen beds - not much room for a cot, plus it would be an added expense.

suggestions ?
recomendations ?

Thank you :confused:

I guess it is a personal choice, but here are the things we loved about the Dolphin..

The LOCATION! We loved being right in the center of the action! It was so great to walk to EPCOT almost every night for dinner... The Boardwalk is a Blast! We even walked to MGM, but the boat ended up being better for us!

The Grotto Pool is huge! DH who isn't really a pool person was totally impressed!

The Dining options are endless! Between Epcot, the boardwalk and the resorts you have an amaing number of choices!

It really is family friendly too!

If you choose the Dolphin, be aware the beds are over sized doubles.. We didn't really notice much of a difference from our queen at home though.. The swan has the queen beds...

Speaking of beds... The are AMAZING!! Once you sleep in the heavenly bed/sweet sleeper, you will want one for your own!

Good luck making your choice!

For the vacation...dd could sleep with wife / son with hubby..that solves the bed problem and you would be in the middle of everything staying at the dolphin.

On the otherhand..AKL is outstanding. It would be hard for us to be there though..and not have a savannah view.

We couldn't choose, so we're splitting the stay between both. I love the Swan/Dolphin. The location, the beds, the Grotto..... But we also fell in love with AKL when we popped over for dinner last Jan.
We're going for the best of both worlds....

Webray has a great solution to the sleeping arrangement issue.

We also love the location of the Dolphin. Your kids are at an age where they would enjoy the Boardwalk activities too. The cot at the Dolphin can fit right next to the window, so it's really not in the way. And it's pretty comfy for a rollaway.

great question - we are pondering the same thing for our trip in Dec 05 - we currently have ressies at AKL but are pondering Dolphin/Swan because of the educator rates. My mother will be joining our family of 4, so we are looking at 2 hotel rooms (DH doesn't want to share a room with my mother for a week - understandable...), which will allow the kids to sleep in a queen/bunk room with grandma, and we have our own room (ah, nice) at AKL. For the Dolphin/Swan we would keep a traditional room arrangement (2 beds) and have 1 kid sleep in our room.

My two questions on this topic:

1. My mother tires easily - we thought the dedicated bus service of AKL would be convenient for her, and AKL has various activities on site that may interest her.

2. What are the activities available for young teens (11-15) and grandparent-age (68) at both locations?

At either resort I would let them know immediately about your mother's requirements and ask to be near an elevator. At either place, if you have a remote room, you could wear her out just walking to the elevator/lobby! I vote for the Dolphin since you could go to the Boardwalk or pool while Granny rests! Min. Golf across the street, beautiful pool, and basketball court also- my ds 11 wanted to play bb every day, even at WDW :rolleyes: I believe they even have some rooms on 1st level.

I haven't stayed at either one, but I have visited them both.

I think it depends on what you're looking for.

I'm not a big advocate of paying premium dollars for "magic", but the Animal Kingdom Lodge is such a transporting experience. The restaurants are both amazing, albeit somewhat pricey. I can't comment on the Mara, because I haven't been, but I LOVE both Jiko and Boma. The smells in the lobby, the GORGEOUS wood floors, and the attention to decorative touches that permeate every aspect of the public areas really makes you feel as though you are in a different place. Even the walk from the parking lot is transfixing. The lush vegetation that seperates the porte cochère from the parking is really pretty.

However, the Swalphin has a lot going for it. We stayed at the Beach Club, and I fell in love with the general area. It was SO nice to be relaxing in our room, and feel like a nice dinner and just stroll over to EPCOT, and have a relaxing dinner at Marrakesh. One morning, I wanted a little something special for breakfast, so I went to the Boardwalk bakery and got some great coffee for my wife, and some WONDERFUL pastries for breakfast. It was a very calm morning, and GREAT to watch the sunrise over Crescent Lake. And you know that SEA of humanity you have to fight to get out of Epcot after Illuminations? SO much more tolerable when you can leisurely walk back to room instead of fighting crowds to the front, and then in the bus lines. (Or fighting traffic if you drive your own car)

I don't know if you'd stay at the Swan or the Dolphin, but the interior of the Dolphin really is a neat experience. It's like walking into a big circus tent. There's some waterfalls in the breezeway between the doors and the main lobby, and it just felt very relaxing. And I have stayed in other Starwood properties that feature those heavenly beds. Oh. My. God. It's so worth it just for those dang beds!!!! :) I believe the Swalphin rooms are also larger than what you'd get at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

So if you're looking for the magical experience, and don't mind paying a little more for it - I'd pick Animal Kingdom Lodge.

If you're looking for comfort and unbeatable convenience at a more reasonable price, I'd pick the Swalphin.

But again, that's based on observations as a visitor - not a guest. :)

I have stayed at both and hands down I would pick the AKL. When I stayed at the Dolphin I was so unimpressed it wasn't even funny. I was there for a conference so at least I didn't have to pay for it.

I agree with the other posters as far as location of the Dolphin though. When we stayed at the BWI we loved being that close to Epcot and MGM.

The AKL is just so relaxing and has such a great theme. My kids enjoyed the bunk beds and it saved a lot of headaches that would have occured if they slept in the same bed. The pool is fantastic as well.

I would not look at the AKL's location as being a negitive. I have always found the transportation to be very timely. It is remote, but that is what makes it relaxing. You are getting away from it all.

I would make sure that the Dolphin has queen beds. I was under the impression, based on the Westin website, that they had double beds, not queen size. I was comparing the Dolphin and the Swan, for a future trip. Apparently the Swan does have queen beds. I think I would have a hard time getting my teenagers out of those heavenly beds,, so we are going back to the WL,,lol. They are hard to get out of a normal bed,, I can't imagine how hard it would be to move them out of one of those. They also have great rates for AAA discounts. It was very tempting.

One of the things I don't like about the location, had to do with transportation. The shared bus route on the resorts around that area, YC, BC, BW, and KW along with the Swan and Dolphin. I know you can walk to EPCOT, and take the monorail,, but after getting stuck on that bus route once,, we thought about it, and rejected the idea.

I love the AKL, have stayed there twice, but my family didnt' like how far away from the parks it was. I loved everything about it tho. The decor, Boma for breakfast, and dinner, the pool, and the fabulous view from the balcony of the Savannah. I had a hard time leaving the balcony in the mornings. :) I love the music that is in the lobby,, and the gift shop is my favourite in all of the DWD shops. The theming at this resort is amazing. Plus, when having a relaxing time away from the parks,, it was nice to be far from the parks. :)

For what it is worth (and others please correct me if I am wrong), bunk beds are just a request & you are not guaranteed to get them. I don't know if that will make a difference in your decisionm or not. :D

You have my two favorite hotels and they are different like night and day. I love them both, for totally different reasons. Dolphin/Swan for location, heavenly beds, the feeling in the resort area when I want that POSH feel, the grotto pool. AKL for the animals, the smell when I enter the resort, the feeling of calmness.
I have always said the the perfect resort would be the swan/dolphin with the AKL lobby and the savannahs under the balconies! Good luck with your decision.

:wizard: Thank you to all who answered.
I think we will be at the Dolphin - or maybe split our trip between the two resorts. We'll have to do the cot at the Dolphin. Thanks for telling us there is an area for one.

We do like the location of the Dolphin.
We will have a teacher discount - if one is available.

If AKL does come up with a better rate- I think we willl do a split.
5 days at AKL & 5 days at the Dolphin.
10 day My Way park hopper Pass. ;)

Sounds like a great plan! When we split our trip, I did the Dolphin for the first part, AKL concierge for the second. I wanted to be in the EPCOT area for our busy time, and as our trip was winding down it was great being at AKL and hanging around the resort.

We absolutely LOVE the AKL! Our goal was to stay at a different resort each time we visit, now we will only stay at AKL! The bus rider (if truly longer) is worth the atmosphere of the AKL! The Dolphin is just like any other "hotel." I suggest trying AKL at least once.

Enjoy!

:mickeybar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter