Stabilizers? What Stabilizers?

Alicia87

Mouseketeer
Just got off the Magic yesterday and let me tell ya......it was one rockin' and rollin' trip!!! Friday night's ship movement just about rolled DD18 out of bed :rotfl:

Weather was fantastic the whole trip (April 11-18).

Just got off the Magic yesterday and let me tell ya......it was one rockin' and rollin' trip!!! Friday night's ship movement just about rolled DD18 out of bed :rotfl:

Weather was fantastic the whole trip (April 11-18).

What part of the ship were you, forward/aft/ Midship, what deck?

First night/ last night just out of PC is the worst as it crosses strong currents.

Was DD drunk??? :):lmao:

We were Aft, but trust me....location didn't matter....dinner each night was just as "moving" ;)

Still had no effect on a Magical Graduation Celebration!!!

Nope, I don't allow her to drink....she tried her best to squeeze a drink out of the waiters though LOL!! It was quite comical though...made for a fun last evening of laughs!!

Aft will get a lot of movement, is just slightly less than forward, what deck?

Bar Lumière's the other two restaurants are Aft as well and my DD gets seasick in those on rough days.

We were Aft, but trust me....location didn't matter....dinner each night was just as "moving" ;)

We were in the aft too (7630). Friday was the only night that we felt it was particularly rocky. It really wasn't that bad, especially when compared to the 2007 Transatlantic (which still didn't really bother us). I guess different people have different levels of comfort.

I agree that it was a great cruise!

My first cruise was on the MS Mermoz, a ship half the size of the Magic/Wonder, no stabilizers, 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of Miami.
Trust me, the roughest night on the Magic/Wonder is smooth sailing compared to this ship.
On more than one occasion, you would literally be walking downhill down the hall, and 20 seconds later you were walking uphill. It was like a huge teeter totter.
Sadly, my kids were disappointed in how smooth the Magic was in the Caribbean, as compared to the Amsterdam in Alaska. They look forward to rough seas.

The stabilizers were not working on our March 7th cruise. Really didn't feel it much until the last night, when we too were almost rolled out of bed.

Is this something that can normally be fixed quickly when they are in port to switch between cruises? We have been on the Wonder once and the Magic twice and never had a problem. We could see the stabilizers out in the water from deck 4. However on our Alaska cruise with HAL we had some rocky evenings where walking back from dinner (having no alcoholic beverages) I was walking like I had been drinking all day long. I wondered if it was just the weather or if they were lacking the quality of stablization that the DCL had.

We prefer Aft. We feel less movement there. You can feel movement Forward Aft or Midship if the waves are big enough.

Is this something that can normally be fixed quickly when they are in port to switch between cruises? We have been on the Wonder once and the Magic twice and never had a problem. We could see the stabilizers out in the water from deck 4. However on our Alaska cruise with HAL we had some rocky evenings where walking back from dinner (having no alcoholic beverages) I was walking like I had been drinking all day long. I wondered if it was just the weather or if they were lacking the quality of stablization that the DCL had.

Recently the stabilizers were actually not working at all and DCL ordered new parts and fixed them while the ship was in port on Saturday. They were ready to go when the Magic set sail that night. :)

Spring and April will bring on the currents....

This quote makes me nervous. We are bringing a friend with us in June who has never cruised. We've cruised in December, January & March with no real difficulties with movement. We persuaded her to come saying that she really won't feel much outside of the 1st night. Someone please reassure me that the currents will be more calm by the 1st part of June!!:eek:

We were in the aft too (7630). Friday was the only night that we felt it was particularly rocky. It really wasn't that bad, especially when compared to the 2007 Transatlantic (which still didn't really bother us). I guess different people have different levels of comfort.

I would have to agree. We also sailed on this cruise. I will agree the ship was rocking Friday night coming back from CC but it only lasted a few hours and we thought the rest of the week had been very smooth. Even the first night was smooth sailing out of Florida.

It was a great cruise. Wish I were back on board :sad1:

The ships stabilizers are only designed for, and there for only effective, in reducing roll from side to side.

Anytime that there is a difference in mean water depth along the water line on a fore / aft axis, the ship will move up & down along the axis of the differences in depth.

No stabilization system can prevent this.

If the differences are abeam ( across the ship in a side to side fashion) the stabilizers can and do, when operating, reduce that motion significantly.

I would have to agree. We also sailed on this cruise. I will agree the ship was rocking Friday night coming back from CC but it only lasted a few hours and we thought the rest of the week had been very smooth. Even the first night was smooth sailing out of Florida.

It was a great cruise. Wish I were back on board :sad1:

We were on this cruise too...the stateroom TV had info displayed that the seas were classified as "rough" with 10-14 ft. waves on Friday night...so that is probably why is was rocking so much that evening.

We had a great cruise too and I SO wish we were back on board. I keep thinking about what the people this week are doing at different moments in time...we rebooked on board so that gives us something to look forward to! :thumbsup2

Oh my gosh! We were your neighbors in 7632 last week! Didn't know there was a DISer beside us! Sorry we didn't get to meet...

been2marceline said:
The ships stabilizers are only designed for, and there for only effective, in reducing roll from side to side.

Anytime that there is a difference in mean water depth along the water line on a fore / aft axis, the ship will move up & down along the axis of the differences in depth.

No stabilization system can prevent this.

If the differences are abeam ( across the ship in a side to side fashion) the stabilizers can and do, when operating, reduce that motion significantly.
GREAT POST!! A must read if you ask me. I've tried numerous times to explain to those non-DIS people about how ships work in the ocean and I've failed miserably.

Now I have a much better way to explain it that they might actually understand. Thanks!!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter