St. Thomas v. St. John

Howling Howie

Earning My Ears
Hi. If we only had six hours or so to beach and snorkel, would it be prudent to try St. John or do you think maybe we should just stay on St. Thomas? I've read about the many places on St. John, but if we stayed would you recommend Sapphire or Coki Beach for snorkeling and beaching -- myself and two teenagers? I personally would prefer to stay on land with a frozen drink, but need to stay within "watching" distance of the kids. Preferences, suggestions?

We did Coki Beach on our January trip. The waves were minimal, but the sea life abundant. The shore/sand curves to create a bay, so you can see very well from the shore. we combined our trip to Coki with admission to Coral World,and then used their restrooms and showers.

We went to Trunk Bay on St. Johns, one of the most beautiful beaches ever! It looks like a commercial, just perfect. We did it on our own, it was easy, we just followed what people on this board said to do. We ordered room service the night before, took soft sided coolers with our food, and had a great picnic. There is a snorkling course, the water was crystal clear. We got there about 1 hour before the cruise excursions did, and we stayed about 1 hour longer. I would go there again.

You are right about Trunk Bay - we saw it during our St. John island tour and it is incredibly beautiful! I decided that next time Eastern - we'd go there DEFINITELY!

Rae

Been to both several times.............ST. JOHN!!!!!!

We choose to go to St. John also and we did it on our own. I just think there isn't enough time. The island was beautiful but by the time you get to the ferry and take the boat over and then taxi to the island it started to get more expensive than we thought. and we missed the ferry by 2 minutes and had to wait 20 minutes for the next one. we missed it both ways. It also rained for about 20 minutes while on the beach and you are just stuck there. We were disappointed we just didn't stay in St. Thomas and if it rained we could have just walked the shops. We spent all that time getting to St. John's that we never got to see St. Thomas.
It was me, husband and 5yr old

It was one of the most beautiful unspoiled places I have ever been!! It does take all day though so you will miss out on St. Thomas, you can always do what we did, book again and do St. Thomas the next time :) (hey any excuse to cruise)

Here's my feedback on this ? We've been to St. Thomas several times. The highlight of the trip was when we visited BVI on a snorkel trip. That is not possible due to time constraints so my second best daytrip was St. John. We've been 3X and always loved it. Visiting St. Thomas, we've done the Doubloon cruise on Disney (good), went to Magen's Bay (not impressed but others have been), visited Coki's Beach (ok) and shopped in town (great). If I could go again, I would pick St. John whether on an excursion or on my own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter