St Thomas & Tortola Excursions Help

kcfree

Earning My Ears
We are really excited about our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy. My DD (8) loves the beach and she recently discovered snorkeling. We are tying to find the best way to spend our port time.

For St Thomas, we are considering one of the following:
  • Trunk Bay --- we would probably do this on our own
  • Full day sail & snorkel to turtle cove & honeymoon beach
  • St John champagne catamaran & snorkel
For Tortola, does anyone have any information on an excursion (not through DCL) we could take to the Baths that gets their by boat? I would like to avoid the walk down to the Baths and I read somewhere that there are boat trips where you swim to the best from the boat.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Patouche Charters offers THE BATHS, VIRGIN GORDA, ALL DAY. "Once on Virgin Gorda, we'll anchor at our mooring, right in the heart of The Baths."
You can check out their site at patouche.com.

We are using them on our upcoming cruise, January 19th. Once we return I can let you know how it went.

Patouche Charters offers THE BATHS, VIRGIN GORDA, ALL DAY. "Once on Virgin Gorda, we'll anchor at our mooring, right in the heart of The Baths."
You can check out their site at patouche.com.

We are using them on our upcoming cruise, January 19th. Once we return I can let you know how it went.

did you book an entire boat in charter or is it a trip where you book your family onto a day trip they run regularly? It was unclear on the website. We are there April 9 and I'm intrigued. I'll try to be patient until you get back :)

I initially wanted to do a private charter, but the price was too steep for our group of four. I also could not find enough people from our meet to join us, we would need a group of 12.

I just booked our family on a day trip with them. I am still waiting to hear if we will need to travel to his boat or if he will pick us up near the Fantasy. Since we booked, I have learned another family of four from the Fantasy is on the same day trip. Fingers crossed that he comes to pick us up.

I emailed them for info yesterday- already heard back.
"Sure we can schedule a trip to The Baths that day. I will meet you at 0830 outside the gate to the cruise ship pier (10 min walk from ship). We will then board "Maverick" our 36' power catamaran for the short ride across the channel to our first snorkel spot at Cooper Island. Fabuloussnorkeling at one of our favorite spots, then we go over to Cooper Island Beach Club for lunch http://www.cooperislandbeachclub.com/eat-and-drink/.
After lunch we then go to The Baths (after the rest of your cruise ship pals leave), I lead you on a guided snorkel and walking tour of The Baths and then you have at least an hour or so to explore on your own before we then head back to Tortola arriving where I picked you up no later than 400 pm.
Cost for the day $125 p.p. incl beverages on board, snorkel gear and of course my personal attention :)
Does not include lunch ashore and crew gratuity."

is this in line with what you were told/ quoted?

We have done the Full day sail & snorkel to turtle cove & honeymoon beach 2 times now. We love it! Awesome sail boat ride and the crew members both times were great. Snorkeling is really fun. We saw at least 7 turtles last time. The Beach and food at honeymoon beach are both great. And for the adults, the rum punch is great!

"Sure we can schedule a trip to The Baths that day. I will meet you at 0830 outside the gate to the cruise ship pier (10 min walk from ship). We will then board "Maverick" our 36' power catamaran for the short ride across the channel to our first snorkel spot at Cooper Island. Fabuloussnorkeling at one of our favorite spots, then we go over to Cooper Island Beach Club for lunch http://www.cooperislandbeachclub.com/eat-and-drink/.
After lunch we then go to The Baths (after the rest of your cruise ship pals leave), I lead you on a guided snorkel and walking tour of The Baths and then you have at least an hour or so to explore on your own before we then head back to Tortola arriving where I picked you up no later than 400 pm.
Cost for the day $125 p.p. incl beverages on board, snorkel gear and of course my personal attention :)

Yes, this is pretty much what we were told. Same price and all. I will let you know how are day goes.

My family of 4 is on this Patouche charter April 9th as well. That's the same information I have. We're really looking forward to it!

I initially wanted to do a private charter, but the price was too steep for our group of four. I also could not find enough people from our meet to join us, we would need a group of 12.

I just booked our family on a day trip with them. I am still waiting to hear if we will need to travel to his boat or if he will pick us up near the Fantasy. Since we booked, I have learned another family of four from the Fantasy is on the same day trip. Fingers crossed that he comes to pick us up.

My family is on the April 9th Fantasy sailing and booked on this day trip. I guess he was taking about us!

My family of 4 is on this Patouche charter April 9th as well. That's the same information I have. We're really looking forward to it!

Sorry, I think I was too quick to post. We're on the Fantasy April 9th sailing but not on Tortola for this until the 12th.

I am just off the Fantasy and went to the Baths and on the St. John Champagne catamaran and snorkel. Both excursions were great! If you book the baths excursion through Disney then the ferry pulls right up to the boat on deck 1 which is very convenient. Also, a lunch and complimentary drink are served. If you go to the baths, I would recommend bringing sneakers! There's a bit of a hike down to the beaches but they're beautiful, especially devil's bay. Out of the many catamaran excursions i've done in St. Thomas, the champagne catamaran and snorkel was by far the best! The crew were great and the catamaran anchors right off of honeymoon beach which was absolutely beautiful and not crowded at all. Hope this helps and have fun!

We've done Trunk Bay twice and though we often do excursions on our own to save money, in this case I'd really look long and hard at the timings before trying that one on your own. It is about a 45 minute boat ride from the dock at St. Thomas to St. John's, and then another half hour (with two picture taking stops) to Trunk Bay on open air safari type buses. Our DCL group wasn't late getting back to the harbor area after our trip to Trunk Bay, but the boat back to St. Thomas had already left, and another wouldn't come in time to get us back before the ship sailed off. The Disney CM guide with us got on a phone and called them back. The boat returned and picked up us. I wouldn't bank on them doing that if we hadn't had the DCL tour guide (and about 60 DCL passengers)with us. Because it is a relatively long way, by boat, we figured the risk was too great of missing the ship. We've tried this excursion four times...two times successfully and two times it was canceled minutes before we were supposed to leave due to wind and rough waters, so another thing to think about if you do this on your own, get to Trunk Bay, and the wind or water conditions change not in your favor and the boat back is delayed or canceled. I don't know what DCL would do either, in that case, but they at least wouldn't leave you behind! We enjoyed the excursion but you should note you spend most of your time getting there and getting back, and only about 90 minutes actually on the beach and snorkeling!

At St. Thomas, we have done the Full day sail & snorkel to turtle cove & honeymoon beach two different times through DCL. The excursion leaves from the pier and you have a short boat ride. You spend about 30 minutes snorkeling. With everyone back on the boat, you then travel to Honeymoon Beach. The bar is open for this journey. I can't remember the amount of time at Honeymoon Beach, but it was plenty of time for us.

The first time we did the excursion, there were four different boats for the excursion and we were on the last one out. We did not leave the dock for at least 30 minutes after the first boat left. The crew, recognizing the snorkeling might not be that good with all the different boats already there, asked the passengers (and we agreed) to go to a different spot to snorkel first. We stayed at this other spot for about 15 minutes. We boarded again and then went to the first spot for another 15 minutes of snorkeling, now that all the other boats had left. Both these snorkeling times were great. We then to Honeymoon Beach. We had the appropriate amount at the Beach and boarded the boat so we could return to the ship. So even though we were the last boat out, we still spent the right amount of times at each of the spots. But this did cause us to be a little late returning to the ship. Since a DCL excursion, they held the ship for us. It was a great peace of mind knowing we would not be left behind.

We are headed back to St. Thomas in June, and will be doing this excursion again.

I am just off the Fantasy and went to the Baths and on the St. John Champagne catamaran and snorkel. Both excursions were great! If you book the baths excursion through Disney then the ferry pulls right up to the boat on deck 1 which is very convenient. Also, a lunch and complimentary drink are served. If you go to the baths, I would recommend bringing sneakers! There's a bit of a hike down to the beaches but they're beautiful, especially devil's bay. Out of the many catamaran excursions i've done in St. Thomas, the champagne catamaran and snorkel was by far the best! The crew were great and the catamaran anchors right off of honeymoon beach which was absolutely beautiful and not crowded at all. Hope this helps and have fun!

thanks for posting.
How was the actual trip TO the Baths? How long was the boat ride and then the bus ride? Was the bus ride super twisty? I tend the get motion sick on mountain roads... Also, once there is there a beach to relax on or is it rocky and mostly caves?Thanks!

thanks for posting.
How was the actual trip TO the Baths? How long was the boat ride and then the bus ride? Was the bus ride super twisty? I tend the get motion sick on mountain roads... Also, once there is there a beach to relax on or is it rocky and mostly caves?Thanks!
It wasn't too bad. The ferry ride is around 40 minutes but the ride to the baths was very short, under 10 minutes and not twisty at all! There are two beaches at the baths, one is more crowded because it has bathrooms, a bar and lockers while the other has no facilities. The beaches were very sandy but I have to say I liked devils bay better than the beach with facilities. Devils bay was basically empty and there were no rocks in the water while the main beach was pretty rocky in the water and crowded. The caves connect the two beaches and it really is beautiful!

I'm on March 26 fantasy. Doing patauche for baths as a family of four.
I have done the full day snorkles and honeymoon beach.
Captain was great. Crew was fun. A little crowded snorkling by turtles and they move spots quick. Ds5 and I fell behind but enjoyed it. The boat rude and rum punch are geat. Also at honeymoon beach they Let us jump off the boat over and over again.
Bring tip money!

Question for the group about excursions for BVI and St. Thomas for a family with young kids. We have a 6, 4, 2.5 year old. Wife and I would LOVE to snorkel, but probably not with the little ones, what excursion would people recommend for a young family? thinking about going to a beach or something that's not too complicated. Suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter