St. Thomas excursion help!!!!

Hi there! I should've posted an update. We had a great cruise (even those it was rainy on Castaway Cay day). I thought this excursion (Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkel) was perfect for our family. It was a nice sail out to the area with beverages provided and then about an hour or so in the water to snorkel. No real guidance on how to snorkel so that could be challenging if no one in your group has experience. They basically explained how to put the equipment on and kind of guided people over to the turtles and the reef but everyone was pretty much able to just swim on their own. I thought it was perfect for beginners. I think experienced snorkelers would be very disappointed in both the amount of time in the water and what you actually see. The turtles were cool but they kept their distance and there were a few fish but not tons. Again…we had a great time and I felt it was a perfect fit for us…myself (I had never snorkeled before), my husband (knew what he was doing), my daughter, age 12, experienced snorkeler and strong swimmer and younger daughter, age 9, new to snorkeling and this is only her 2nd year truly swimming/first time in ocean. My husband wore a go-pro and captured a good bit on it. On our excursion the captain and crew of 2 were very friendly, very talkative and professional. Most of us on this excursion were young families. I thought the excursion was well worth it and well priced. I'm anxious to hear if others have similar feedback. I know they split the actual excursion into several groups/boats because there were so many overall.
Thanks for asking!
Kim B

I should add the equipment was all in great condition and you control how much air is in your vest so if you want to dive down a bit, you can. You can also fill your kids up as much as you need to in order for them (and you) to feel comfortable. Don't overfill or they will end up face first in the water if they jump in. Also…at least on our boat (Silent Lady) you could jump in or use a ladder. I was worried about this because I knew my youngest would not jump and from the pictures it didn't seem clear if you had to so that was a relief. I think you'd be fine for you and your 8 year old and really enjoy it.
Kim

Hi there! I should've posted an update. We had a great cruise (even those it was rainy on Castaway Cay day). I thought this excursion (Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkel) was perfect for our family. It was a nice sail out to the area with beverages provided and then about an hour or so in the water to snorkel. No real guidance on how to snorkel so that could be challenging if no one in your group has experience. They basically explained how to put the equipment on and kind of guided people over to the turtles and the reef but everyone was pretty much able to just swim on their own. I thought it was perfect for beginners. I think experienced snorkelers would be very disappointed in both the amount of time in the water and what you actually see. The turtles were cool but they kept their distance and there were a few fish but not tons. Again…we had a great time and I felt it was a perfect fit for us…myself (I had never snorkeled before), my husband (knew what he was doing), my daughter, age 12, experienced snorkeler and strong swimmer and younger daughter, age 9, new to snorkeling and this is only her 2nd year truly swimming/first time in ocean. My husband wore a go-pro and captured a good bit on it. On our excursion the captain and crew of 2 were very friendly, very talkative and professional. Most of us on this excursion were young families. I thought the excursion was well worth it and well priced. I'm anxious to hear if others have similar feedback. I know they split the actual excursion into several groups/boats because there were so many overall.
Thanks for asking!
Kim B

very helpful write-up. thank you, kim! :)

We've gone on both the half day, and the full day Doubloon Snorkel Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach. Once on a catamaran and then a sail boat. Our whole family loved it each time. Our kids are 15, 12 and 10. We were there last year too so they were younger then...obviously. Yes the rum punch is flowing and the music is loud. If you need instructions snorkeling they gladly help. Just wait for everyone else to get in the water and they will go over anything you may need. My niece (14) has anxiety and totally panicked on the boat. The captain took his time with her and and explained every detail to her. She would not listen to her parents but she did him..he made her feel safe and it literally took 15 minutes of her freaking out standing at the edge of the boat but he stayed and never lost his cool. She got in and ended up loving every second she spent in the water. So, yeah they will show you how if you ask. They even had noodles for little ones that needed a little bit more. I would recommend going. It's beautiful. We saw sea turtles, sting rays, shrimp, all sorts of beautiful fish. kids played on the beach... We found the biggest hermit crab I think we have ever seen. Even though we have done this twice now, I would do it again.

I've been doing my homework for a st Thomas excursion as well and stumbled upon good day charters as a private charter option. Their prices are fantastic if you compare other charters, plus their reviews are great and you really get to plan your own day doing whatever you want with no crowds! Look them up!

We've gone on both the half day, and the full day Doubloon Snorkel Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach. Once on a catamaran and then a sail boat. Our whole family loved it each time. Our kids are 15, 12 and 10. We were there last year too so they were younger then...obviously. Yes the rum punch is flowing and the music is loud. If you need instructions snorkeling they gladly help. Just wait for everyone else to get in the water and they will go over anything you may need. My niece (14) has anxiety and totally panicked on the boat. The captain took his time with her and and explained every detail to her. She would not listen to her parents but she did him..he made her feel safe and it literally took 15 minutes of her freaking out standing at the edge of the boat but he stayed and never lost his cool. She got in and ended up loving every second she spent in the water. So, yeah they will show you how if you ask. They even had noodles for little ones that needed a little bit more. I would recommend going. It's beautiful. We saw sea turtles, sting rays, shrimp, all sorts of beautiful fish. kids played on the beach... We found the biggest hermit crab I think we have ever seen. Even though we have done this twice now, I would do it again.
Great info…if we did this same cruise again I would do the full day adventure for sure! I think the beach would have been a good addition.
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter