St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana? Anyone?

bas71873

DIS Veteran
My DD will be starting kindergarten in August in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. I have a booked a trip for Disney in October, a Friday - Monday (Friday is a school holiday, but she will miss Monday, possibility of missing Thurs. depending on flights).

Anyone on the boards live in here in STP? Am I going to be given a lot of grief over this? I'm not going to lie about where we are going (I'd get busted anyway because I have a kid with a big mouth :eek:

It will be treated as an unexcused absence but shouldn't be a problem particularly since she will only be in Kindergarten. I know many people that have missed a couple of days of school in STP for Disney without any issues. Have a great trip!

As a former teacher in this parish, my opinion is that she's your child and you can take her on vacation if you want to :thumbsup2 . It's only kindergarten, and she's allowed a certain number of absences a year.

I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader next school yr.. we want to take them the second week or first week in Dec, we want to go when its not crowded. They both make good grades. Are we crazy??I think they could make up the school work with no problems, that one week cant fail them for the whole grade,,Help just wondering,,

Hi. I lived in Slidell until Katrina. I took my kids out for Disney before. I never was given a problem about it.

We don't live in STP but do live in Ascension. We took our son out in Kindergarten for a week in 2006 and it wasn't a problem. I did tell his teacher before hand. We plan on doing the same this year as well with another Kindergartener (DD) and my now 3rd grade son. As long as they don't exceed the alloted amount of unexcused absences there shouldn't be a problem OR at least I hope not....LOL! Good luck and have a great trip! I'm sure it will be awesome! :thumbsup2

Were taking our 4th grader out for the week following Thanksgiving, we went the same week last year. She keeps her grades up & you cant beat the crowd level. We were honest with her teacher, no problems.

Where is St. Landry? I'm not native to Louisiana (moved her less than 2 month's before the infamous Katrina....lucky me :), and have a hard enough time finding my way around STP, Orleans & Jefferson, but HI!!

I think just missing a day or 2 you shouldn't have any problems.

For anyone planning to keep your kids out for a week or so, make sure you know your parish's rules for absences before you plan your vacation. In our parish, missing school for vacation is an "unexcused absence". They only allow 7 unexcused absences in a row here. On the 8th day, you are reported to the DA's office for truancy. I know this because I received a letter in the mail upon my return from vacation stating that my children had missed 5 days of school, and that we would be reported to the DA's office on the 8th day. I was really annoyed by it because I notified the teachers 2 months in advance of our vacation plans - and in writing. I notified them AGAIN, and sent a letter to the principal's office a month before our vacation and again a few days before we left. I also made sure to find out which letters of the alphabet they would be missing so that I could take some coloring sheets/activities with us on vacation to incorporate into our trip (during waits for meals, downtime in the car on the way, etc) No one seemed to have a problem with it. BTW - our boys are 4 year old twins, who missed 6 days of pre-k, for goodness sakes. They didn't seem to have a problem learning the letters L and M in spite of the missed days. :rolleyes:

OT: A big ole' shout out to ST Parish. I am a New Orleans native who relocated to Florida 13 years ago for job reasons. The good news is that I am now 1 hour from WDW but the bad news is that I miss my family (and the food!) I have family in COvington, Mandeville and Abita. Ya'll eat some gumbo for me!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter