St. Martin - Where to shop?

NYDisneyMom

I need to have a vacation planned at all times...
Is the shopping any better or different in Marigot than Phillipsburg? I'm just trying to plan our day after the Butterfly Farm. I'd like to do a little shopping and then sit at the beach after lunch -- most likely Great Bay. I just figured we'd go to Phillipsburg to shop but will we be missing something by not going to Marigot??

Better buys can be had in Phillipsburg, if your into fancy french coutre then Marigot, but remember, for every Euro $1.00, it will cost you about $1.21, because of the exchange. My favorite jeweler on St. Maarten is Caribbean Gems, honest and trustworthy, there is a neat market in Marigot, but mostly trinkets, wraps, etc., if you want to by Sarongs, Pareos, etc, here is a secret, ask a taxi to take you to RIMA, it's on pondfill road, they will know where it is, or you can walk about a 20 mintue walk, you can by pareos for 3 for 15, whereas they sell on the beach for 8-10 each!

the butterfly farm is neat, but after about 1 hour, your done, you can walk or hire a taxi to take you to LeGallion Beach, great if you have little kids, (toddlers), no surf, shallow water, and you can rent chairs, umbrellas and they have a small restaurant.

Or have the taxi take you to Orient, my favorite is The Bikini Beach Bar, nice, hardly any nudity, and grea food!!!

We went to St. Marten once on a cruise, and rented a car for the day, its an easy island to get around, but the traffic can be rough, or the best approach, is hire a private taxi for the day, do an island tour with them, then have them bring you back to Town for shopping and then do the beach right there. Look back at my previous post on a St. Maarten trip report, there are 2 links to pictures and some of them are of town and the islandtrip report with picture links

Originally posted by ClarabelleCow
......if you want to by Sarongs, Pareos, etc, here is a secret, ask a taxi to take you to RIMA, it's on pondfill road, they will know where it is, or you can walk about a 20 mintue walk, you can by pareos for 3 for 15, whereas they sell on the beach for 8-10 each!

the butterfly farm is neat, but after about 1 hour, your done, you can walk or hire a taxi to take you to LeGallion Beach, great if you have little kids, (toddlers), no surf, shallow water, and you can rent chairs, umbrellas and they have a small restaurant.

....or the best approach, is hire a private taxi for the day, do an island tour with them, then have them bring you back to Town for shopping and then do the beach right there. Look back at my previous post on a St. Maarten trip report, there are 2 links to pictures and some of them are of town and the islandtrip report with picture links

Thank you so much for the great info!!! Can I ask what the cost was to hire a private taxi for the day so I can be prepared? Are there private taxis right at the dock?

My experience I found that St. Thomas was a better place to shop at least for jewlery. I saw a 10 carat diamond bracelet for $895.00! I bought some small but beautiful diamond earrings for $20! If you want jewlery save your money and buy it in St. Thomas.

Originally posted by minimouse43
My experience I found that St. Thomas was a better place to shop at least for jewlery. I saw a 10 carat diamond bracelet for $895.00! I bought some small but beautiful diamond earrings for $20! If you want jewlery save your money and buy it in St. Thomas.

Thanks for the advice. I doubt I'll be shopping for jewlery though -- I just want some cool stuff to bring home for friends and family, and me!! The pareos and wraps sound great for the women!! I'm definitely bringing home some guavaberry liquor for the guys. :)

you just have to be careful, sure you can buy a 10 carat bracelet, but what is the quality of the diamonds, I have a .60 carat diamond that costs more than a 2 carat diamond, you have to remember that color, clarity, cut and style all play a part in buying diamonds

Better Selection of jewelry St. Thomas, but better prices on St. Maarten-especially watches & name brands like Yurman & Hardy. I agree with Clarabelle - Caribbean gems & also Joe's Jewelry is great. Buy the VIP Passport book in Del Sol for discounts & nice freebies. Only for DCL, RCCL & Princess passengers. $20 & you get a free tote. Well worth it.

A store on Front St. has really good A+ quality knock offs- nice people too. It's by Del Sol, near the old tender pier & you have to walk inside to see them. My DD got a little Louie Speedy and wallet there- can't tell the difference between the real ones. Don't buy knock offs in St. Thomas vendor area- really poor quality.

A pareo is a sarong wrap, usually used on the beach. Some are short, but the long ones can be tied into dresses too. We bought some pretty ones in Marigot that were hand tye dyed in pastels, with sea salt so it's a misty, kind of blurry look- nice quality cotton too. They were about $8 each, with a buckle included to loop/tie them with.

They have some nice quality tote bags with St. Maarten embroidered on them for about $5.00 that make great gifts.

Have fun shopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter