St. Martin help

adventure_woman

DIS Veteran
We are doing the Under 2 Flags tour and afterwards would love to relax on the beach for a little bit. We have a 4 yr old and 9 mth old. I was going to just go to Great Bay Beach...but on cruise critic it looked like there were reports of pollution/sewer in that water? :confused: (if so, I don't like the idea of my 4 yr swallowing some of it...)

Thoughts? Ideas on where to go that is close by and not a lot of $$?

We thought Orient Beach was really nice. Sint Maarten wasn't our favorite though. The entire island was pretty run down. We did the "Circle Tour" of the entire Island. If we go back, I'd probably consider getting a cab to Orient beach and spending more time there.

John

We went to Little Divi beach and loved it there. It's in a little bay, very small waves. Perfect for little ones to play in the sand and water. The beach is off a resort, but is open to the public.

Little Divi is the beach I think I have decided to go to. Did you just take a taxi there? I would love to go to another beach, but I just don't think I have time to go with the tour in the am and then w/ 2 little ones.

Yes, we took a taxi. It's not very far away. We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for about $15. There is a little bar there that you can get food or a drink at. We also rented a kayake. The nice thing about it was we weren't really bothered by pan handlers. It was also clean. I would definitely go again.

We will be in St. Marteen at the end of April. Wondering if anyone out there has purchased a resort day pass while in St. Marteen that they recommend.

We've purchased resort day passes on other islands and like having one day where we can swim in a real swimming pool while also having access to the beach.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

FYI on more info Great Bay Beach. The link is for the cruise critic boards, which then has other links in the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133887

It appears at times St. Martin flushes out the sewer system into Great Bay Beach (there is a picture and article of how they did that in Nov 2010). Even though the water looks really clean, I'm sure there are still nasty bacteria that you can't see. :scared1:

Anyway, I just wanted to share the info I found. I know I will be going to The Divi Little Bay Beach resort a few minute taxi ride away from the port.

Anyone use a private driver while in St Martin? there are 6 of us and we are just wanting to hire someone with a van to take us around for about 6 hours... would love some recommendations!

Anyone use a private driver while in St Martin? there are 6 of us and we are just wanting to hire someone with a van to take us around for about 6 hours... would love some recommendations!

I have read Joyce Prince is wonderful. BUT she was booked the day we were in port.

We usually fly into St. Martin so I'm not familiar with the excursions & port. But for small kids I would do the butterfly farm in the morning (go early as it gets stifling later in the day) and then go to Le Galion beach, which is right down the road. There's a restaurant with restrooms, windsurfing, a few rental items, but not much else. Not touristy at all, and very kid-friendly. The water is calm and shallow - you can walk out until you get tired of walking and you will still be able to stand up.

The cheapest thing to do is rent a car, though if you can find a driver it will be easier! Don't take any sort of valuables off the ship. Have fun! :cool1:

Will post links in a few.

We are using Bernards Tours on our upcoming trip on the Magic. Read many good things about them on other forums. Sorry, I can't post links yet:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter