St. Martin Car Rental

disneylandfamily

Mouseketeer
Hi, I've heard that renting a car at St. Martin is a great way to see the island. Does anyone know if it is best to rent the car in advance or when we get there. Any suggestions on who to rent from? Thanks in advance.

We rented a van for 9 people on St Maarten and had a great time! We went to Dawn Beach briefly, Pinel island snorkeling, and Orient Beach. The drive around the island was easy. I did rent in advance but cannot remember exactly what company I used. The rental office is right there when you get off the ship. Good luck!

disneylandfamily said:
Hi, I've heard that renting a car at St. Martin is a great way to see the island. Does anyone know if it is best to rent the car in advance or when we get there. Any suggestions on who to rent from? Thanks in advance.

This is a year old, but we rented a car and made the loop around the island. The cost was reasonable and convienient to the dock.

sintmarteen.JPG

Kissimmee - do you remember the name of the rental company? Did you book in advance or just walk over there when you got off the ship? TIA

I think the rental car company is affiliated with Hertz. We rented a car a few years back. It wasn't very expensive.

We rented a car and had a great time touring the island. You should check your auto insurance - changes are you are not covered in a foreign county. We looked at all the rates on the net and then picked the best one of those rental car agents we knew.

We had heard that the rates were higher on the day of the trip, so we wanted to be covered. In actuality, we ended up with a better rate when we walked in, just the luck of the draw I guess....

Have fun....

Driving hints.....There are maybe 3 stoplights on the entire island. The port town is gridlocked most of the day so be patient. When driving out of town, there are no lights, 3 and 4 way stops. Most of the island roads are 2 lane and once you leave the traffic - no problem. Quite a nice drive. It is an island, so there is not much room left for signage...We use the 180 degree turn around......Just warn travelers ahead.

We like to explore non-touristy spots and this was perfect. However, you will not have time to "do everything" in one day....

Enjoy!

disneylandfamily said:
Kissimmee - do you remember the name of the rental company? Did you book in advance or just walk over there when you got off the ship? TIA

The actual sequence of events was, I went on the America's Cup Sail excursion while the wife, kids and grandma did the town. I met them for lunch after and did a bit of shopping and then decided to see if a car was available downtown. It was so we took it. Even with the late start we had no problem going all the way around the island and stopping for the sights. They allowed us to drop at the pier so it was actually quite simple. I don't recall the name but I think it was the local version of avis? My recollection is that the car was a standard if that makes any difference

the Magic was the only ship in port that day. This might not always be the case so I would advise making a reservation if this is what you have decided to do there.

Our kids go to a Montessori School in Orlando and one of our best memories was coming upon the St Maarten Montessori. A coupe of students gave us a tour and talked about island life and such. A decidedly un-tourist experience.

Exactly why we opted for the car.

stm1.jpg

stm2.jpg

We rented a car too, but that was in '01 and I can't remember who w/, but it was right off the ship. It was only $45 for the day. Also when you go into town you might get hit up for a time share seminar. The friends we rented the car with fell for it, and we refused to go in. The place was actually quite beautiful and they let DH and I hang at the infinity pool and get a .50 Carib beer on the beach. So actually sitting out of the seminar turned into a fun day. We had spent time at Orient Beach too and went snorkeling. Gorgeous. We also went down some side roads w/ a bunch of shacks w/ mismatched doors, etc. I was a little fearful that someone might come out w/ a shotgun. We really were off the beaten path. So I'd advise not to hit some of the dirt roads. Nothing happened, but I was a little nervous. Also, the road are VERY narrow and just about every car at the rental place had a big scrape down the side. Just be sure to point it out before you leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter