St Maarten with Kids

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Our cruise is stopping in St Maarten and I'm wondering what others who are travelling with kids like to do there. I know some recommend Le Gallion, but I'm wondering if that'll be almost too calm for our kids (10.5 and 6.5 years when we travel). Anyone done Bernard's Tour? Or anything else with kids?

Our cruise is stopping in St Maarten and I'm wondering what others who are travelling with kids like to do there. I know some recommend Le Gallion, but I'm wondering if that'll be almost too calm for our kids (10.5 and 6.5 years when we travel). Anyone done Bernard's Tour? Or anything else with kids?
We went to Orient Beach intead of Le Gallion for that reason. We had a great time. The beach is big and beautiful and the water was great. We hung out at Orange Fever which is a cafe that rents beach chairs and umbrellas. The food there was really good. We took a taxi from the port to the beach and there were plenty of taxis in the beach parking lot for the ride back.

We went to Orient Beach intead of Le Gallion for that reason. We had a great time. The beach is big and beautiful and the water was great. We hung out at Orange Fever which is a cafe that rents beach chairs and umbrellas. The food there was really good. We took a taxi from the port to the beach and there were plenty of taxis in the beach parking lot for the ride back.

Thanks. I am noting the name of the restaurant/rental place.
Are there any water toys to rent?

Also, is this area away from the nudists? I'm not thrilled with the topless thing on Orient, but the beach otherwise looks lovely and fun for kids.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am noting the name of the restaurant/rental place.
Are there any water toys to rent?

Also, is this area away from the nudists? I'm not thrilled with the topless thing on Orient, but the beach otherwise looks lovely and fun for kids.
This area is very close to the nude resort portion of the beach. We saw a few topless women on the beach, but not a lot.

There were a few places that had water toys.

MUN

We did Bernard's tours, booked a few days before the cruise and paid when we got there. We visited Orient Bay, Maho Beach and Marigot stopping at each for a while, as well as having a very interesting tour. Rum punch, beer, soft drinks and water were included.

We went with Bernard's tour when toured St. Maarten. We ranged in age of 9 - 70. We went to a beach, Maho Beach, Marigot - ate lunch there at a the French bakery, walked to the top of the fort, saw iguanas, and many other sites. It worked for all our ages.

We did Captain Alan's 3 Island Snorkel Adventure in late October with our 6 year old. I found it on Trip advisor and highly recommend this tour if you are interested in snorkeling with Sea Turtles, checking out a coral reef and then some beach time (with an opportunity to feed Iguanas).

Bernard's Tour is on our list of options. The main reason I'm not so sure is I'm not sure if we want more of a free day vs another scheduled day. But I've only heard great things about it.

I did Captain Alan's tour and can't imagine a better time on the island. If you don't check it's reviews, you are cheating yourself.

We had a private tour with Bernard's and it was kind of like having your own driver, who knows really cool things around the island, and will take you wherever you want to go, whenever. It was great, really.

I did Captain Alan's tour and can't imagine a better time on the island. If you don't check it's reviews, you are cheating yourself.

Never done the snorkeling thing and my younger one is just learning to swim. So don't think it's for us. Thanks for suggesting though.

We had a private tour with Bernard's and it was kind of like having your own driver, who knows really cool things around the island, and will take you wherever you want to go, whenever. It was great, really.

I noticed a private option but it's quite pricey. If we did Bernard's Tour, then we'd do the tour that includes the beach

I booked St Maarteen Shore Excurison: Orient and Maho Beach Half-Day Tour through Viatour. The operated company was amigo tour and I believe there were 2 family with kids on this excursion.
We went to Orient Beach first and stayed about 2 hours. Bus driver/tour guide brought us the area we can rent 2 beach chairs with parasol and drinks at $10.00, and we did not see any topless people. Then we headed to Maho Beach. Our driver made a bathroom break at shopping mall on the way as washroom at Maho beach is not a good condition. (its under repairing). We had about 2 hours in Maho beach and headed back to the port. I loooooved Maho Beach!!! Water was very calm and saw many planes flying by as well.
The tour did not include any water gears, but I brought a floating ring from home (It was only $3). The driver provided us drinks (water, pop, rum punch and beer) at each stop as well.

As far as orient beach goes if you are facing the water going to the right towards Club Orient would be where the nudists are, the farther left you go the less chance of seeing things. However you will see top less women just about anywhere due to the european/french culture. Even at Legalion you will see topless.

We LOVED Le Gallion beach! Granted our kids were younger but I would think kids of any age would like. One thing to consider is that there may be seaweed at Orient -- in fact we had two families come back to Le Gallion as they found Orient beach too seaweed. What we ended up doing - which you may want to consider - is going to Le Gallion in the morning and then heading over to Maho beach for the airplanes which my eldest loved. Something worth considering. BTW we just used local cabs.

Instead of a cab I would strongly consider renting a Jeep from Costal Rental cars right at the cruise terminal. It was about $80 for the whole day and you can check out as many beaches as you have time for. They drive on the right side just like the states and it's one of the wealthier islands so we felt safe with our kids. If you have a booster for the 5 yo that would be great. Trust worthy rental agency and the jeep was brand new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter