• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

St. Maarten or St Thomas - stay around the port?

dvcdisney

DIS Veteran
This is our first time doing an Eastern Caribbean. We've decided to only do one excursion. So I was wondering -- which port --St. Maarten or St. Thomas offers better things to do within walking (20 mins max) distance from the port? We would be interested in something the kids (7 and 13) would enjoy.

I've read a few posts about the beaches and shopping on both locations, but I'm wondering which one is best for just walking around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :goodvibes

I think St. Maarten has more shopping within walking distance. The time in St. Maarten is longer then St. Thomas

St. Thomas has a butterfly farm right next to the pier, a 5 minute walk and the skyride to paradise point also a 5 minute walk.

I think St. Maarten has more shopping within walking distance. The time in St. Maarten is longer then St. Thomas

St. Thomas has a butterfly farm right next to the pier, a 5 minute walk and the skyride to paradise point also a 5 minute walk.

Which would you suggest or have done?

I guess I'm wondering if one is better than the other. Would you prefer to take the time to walk close to the pier in St Maarten or St. Thomas? Is the walk in St. Thomas less "touristy" (I know it's not a word)? Hope I'm expressing my self properly.

If you are docking in St. Thomas, you'll be in Havensight Mall area. This is totally touristy--as above, there is a butterfly farm about a 5 minute walk from the dock, and the cable car ride is 10 minutes in the other direction. If you want to hop a cab to Coral World, there is a decent beach (Coki) right across the parking lot. Discount coupons for tickets are sometimes found on line and/or in the tourist magazine that you can get at the port. This is NOT a walk to place.

If you are tendering, you'll go into the downtown area--a bit less touristy. Most of the time, the ship will dock.

In St. Maarten, you will tender. You can walk to downtown or take the water taxi--an all day wristband is about the same price as 2 one-way tickets. There are some unique shops in the downtown area. Check out "That Yoda Guy" if they are into StarWars.

In St. Maarten, you will tender. You can walk to downtown or take the water taxi--an all day wristband is about the same price as 2 one-way tickets. There are some unique shops in the downtown area. Check out "That Yoda Guy" if they are into StarWars.

Do you always tender? And what is "That Yoda Guy"? A store?

If you are docking in St. Thomas, you'll be in Havensight Mall area. This is totally touristy--as above, there is a butterfly farm about a 5 minute walk from the dock, and the cable car ride is 10 minutes in the other direction. If you want to hop a cab to Coral World, there is a decent beach (Coki) right across the parking lot. Discount coupons for tickets are sometimes found on line and/or in the tourist magazine that you can get at the port. This is NOT a walk to place.

If you are tendering, you'll go into the downtown area--a bit less touristy. Most of the time, the ship will dock.

Thanks. It sounds like St. Maarten port is a better place for walking around.

:)

Which would you suggest or have done?

[/I]

Personally, I would do Paradise Point on your own versus the butterfly farm. You can see butterflies anywhere, but the view from the Point is unique. There is a bird show you can see, a couple shops and you can take your picture with the ship far below behind you. Be sure to climb the steps to the very best view.

Personally, I would do Paradise Point on your own versus the butterfly farm. You can see butterflies anywhere, but the view from the Point is unique. There is a bird show you can see, a couple shops and you can take your picture with the ship far below behind you. Be sure to climb the steps to the very best view.

Thanks for the suggestion. Depending on the time of our excursion, I will definitely keep Paradise Point on my list. I've read some good things about it. We've never been to St. Thomas so this would be a great experience for us.

:goodvibes

I have never heard of tendering in St. Maartin. The three times I have gone have been docked. I do not think they tender ships in St. Maartin.

We walked around in St Maartin in late October and almost nothing was open. It was the off-season.

Taxis are pretty cheap in St. Thomas to the downtown area, I would think you would be happier walking around there.

We have sailed into ST MAARTENS many times and havent tendered. They have a new dock area that is a 15 min walk from downtown Phillipsburg. You can take the water taxi,but if its busy you might be standing there waiting. We have been to the YODA GUY a few times. He is the person who made the original YODA. We go there to buy our son a photocopy of a page from the original Star Wars script, framed with other things relating to that page in that frame. He enjoys talking to you about Star Wars. If you buy something you can take a photo with him and go thru his little museum. I dont think there is anything in the downtown area of St Thomas your kids would enjoy.

In St THOMAS there can be as many as 6 ships in port. We have been there when 3 are docked. One tied up with tendering involved and 2 more in the other harbour which is about a 10 min drive to downtown.

Are we notified ahead of time if the ship is tendering instead of docking?

If so, how far in advance? I would think there was a schedule involved and where each ship would be docked, so wouldn't this information be available ahead of time? Possibly before the cruise even embarks?

If so, how far in advance? I would think there was a schedule involved and where each ship would be docked, so wouldn't this information be available ahead of time? Possibly before the cruise even embarks?

Look at your reservation confirmation email. If you are tendering, it will say TENDER in the far right column of that port day.

Okay. Thanks!

It doesn't say anything about tendering. So that's great. :thumbsup2

As a follow-up, make sure that you check the one that you receive after you pay in full. Our original confirmation when we booked didn't say tender (could be because I booked so far out), but the one I got after I paid off the cruise did say tender.

As a follow-up, make sure that you check the one that you receive after you pay in full. Our original confirmation when we booked didn't say tender (could be because I booked so far out), but the one I got after I paid off the cruise did say tender.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check it.

:goodvibes

The Cruise Facility in St. Maarten can easily handle two mega-liners and at least four other ships at their piers.

You can check the ships scheduled at their official website.

gary

That info is available, we sail May 2013 and we already know that there are only 2 ships in port that day, and even though I'm new, I do a lot of research and have never heard or seen posts of tendering on St Maarten? You dock at havensight. I found the dock schedule on a St Maarten website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter