St. John/St. Thomas excursions on our own

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by mario3, Feb 1, 2014.

1. mario3

mario3 Earning My Ears

We are sailing Feb. 8 to St. Martin & St. Thomas (so excited). We have an 8 month old & a 7 year old. We just want to chill out, walk around and veg on the beach. Is it safe to catch a taxi to the beaches on these islands?

2. Lissame

Lissame DIS Veteran

We just walked around at St Maarten, but we caught taxis in St Thomas to the ferry terminal and then took a ferry to St John and taxi to Trunk Bay. Felt completely safe the entire time, it was a marvelous experience and I would go to St John again in a heartbeat. Didn't really care for St Maarten, but never felt unsafe there either.

3. tinkledpink

tinkledpink Earning My Ears

The boat docks on the Dutch side of St Maarten/Martin. I think the French side is much nicer. Marigot harbor has some places to get crepes, and there are some little boutiques. There is a small island you can take a ferry to and lay on the beach and face St Martin. Grand Case has the most wonderful restaurants ( they may only be open in the evenings) but if you just want a beach day, go to Orient Bay. Last time we were there via boat, we just rented a car and drove ( it is very easy). taxis are very safe. They do speak French but everyone speaks English too. So much fun!