St. Clair Shores, MI

Crazy4Disney72

DIS Veteran
My dh has been transferred to the Detroit office of his company. We have been looking online at several possible areas to live and last weekend went out there. We really like St. Clair Shores, such a pretty area! Can anyone tell me anything about it, good or bad? Any other areas we should check out? We would like to keep our house price under $300K, preferably $200K...gotta make sure there is plenty of money for Disney! LOL! Thanks!

My dh has been transferred to the Detroit office of his company. We have been looking online at several possible areas to live and last weekend went out there. We really like St. Clair Shores, such a pretty area! Can anyone tell me anything about it, good or bad? Any other areas we should check out? We would like to keep our house price under $300K, preferably $200K...gotta make sure there is plenty of money for Disney! LOL! Thanks!

It is pretty. I grew up there, just a block off the lake, and my mother still lives there. The north end is nicer than the south in terms of schools and neighborhoods, generally speaking, and you should be able to find a nice home in that price range. It is a great location too, very easy access to the city.

But there are some downsides... Historically Macomb County was very blue-collar, and as such is still dealing with stubbornly high unemployment and some neighborhoods are shifting in nature as investors turn bargain-basement foreclosures into revolving-door rental properties. Personally, if I were relocating to the Detroit area with your budget I'd look either around Ann Arbor (Washtenaw County) or in Oakland County rather than on the east side. It pains me to say that, as a lifelong eastsider, but in terms of community and activities and jobs and growth and all those positive things the east side simply doesn't have as much to offer these days. But that depends on where your DH's office will be, because commute could be a big issue.

It is pretty. I grew up there, just a block off the lake, and my mother still lives there. The north end is nicer than the south in terms of schools and neighborhoods, generally speaking, and you should be able to find a nice home in that price range. It is a great location too, very easy access to the city.

But there are some downsides... Historically Macomb County was very blue-collar, and as such is still dealing with stubbornly high unemployment and some neighborhoods are shifting in nature as investors turn bargain-basement foreclosures into revolving-door rental properties. Personally, if I were relocating to the Detroit area with your budget I'd look either around Ann Arbor (Washtenaw County) or in Oakland County rather than on the east side. It pains me to say that, as a lifelong eastsider, but in terms of community and activities and jobs and growth and all those positive things the east side simply doesn't have as much to offer these days. But that depends on where your DH's office will be, because commute could be a big issue.

Colleen, thank you for the information! The office is on Griswold Street in Detroit, some big, historic, art deco building, I think the Guardian bldg maybe? What towns/areas in Oakland Co. should I look at? I really do love the idea of being so close to the water though, but I want to look at all options and make the best choice. Thanks!!

Colleen, thank you for the information! The office is on Griswold Street in Detroit, some big, historic, art deco building, I think the Guardian bldg maybe? What towns/areas in Oakland Co. should I look at? I really do love the idea of being so close to the water though, but I want to look at all options and make the best choice. Thanks!!

There are others who can answer that better than I can because I am from this side of town (waaaay out NE of the city now, into the Thumb area), but I know Rochester is very nice though pricey and Bloomfield Hills schools consistently rank among the best in the state. What I'm not so sure about out that way is commute times because I've never done the I75 drive; I've always lived along the I94 corridor. I know just what you mean about being close to the water - other than college, when I lived in Detroit, I've never lived more than a mile or two from Lake St Clair or the river that connects it to Lake Huron.

The Guardian Bldg is really lovely. I absolutely adore downtown Detroit and can't wait until the kids are grown so I can move back. It is a really great city once you get to know your way around, and has a lot more to offer than most people think.

We have a Michigan DISers thread where you'd probably get more responses, including from some posters who live out in the areas I mentioned: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47595110

I live on the west side so I can give you a little more information about that. The unemployment rate has been so high that traffic is not really much of an issue. That, coupled with the fact that there is a lot of shift work in Detroit, not everyone is on the road for an 8am or 9am start. Rush hour really starts around 6am and again by 3:30 pm. There are lots of really nice areas with good schools, community resources etc. It would probably be helpful to think about the ages of your children and what they like to do. For instance, some areas are better for hockey, swimming, etc. Almost any of the cities, you will be benefitting for lower home values, but real estate is selling quickly and just recently, for above asking price. The real estate people I have talked with say that so many people are upside-down and can't sell that demand is exceeding inventory. Many buyers have cash so they don't care that the house won't appraise for what they are spending.

Westside communities that seem very popular with families are Brighton and Saline. The commute from Brighton into downtown can be brutal (seems like I hear a rollover on I-96 almost daily) but not so bad from Saline. I live in Livonia and work downtown; my commute is about 30 minutes door to door. Older, more established areas like Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Hills have great school systems and there are homes there now that are very affordable. Anything on the market for what seems to be under market value will need work. Many of the cities have become the choice for ethnic groups. Novi and Northville, for example, seem popular with Asian immigrants that are moving here for the auto industry. Dearborn has been historically Middle Eastern. In these communities you will encounter shops and restaurants where English is not the primary language.

Detroit Metro area is very diverse and it would probably be beneficial to know what things are a priority for you and your family. As far as water, there are lots of opportunity for lakefront living on the inland lakes as well. Good luck!

We lived in Royal Oak for about 4 years and currently live in Troy (almost 5 years). I worked in downtown Detroit when we lived in Royal Oak (Jefferson Avenue two buildings from Cobo Center) and my average commute was 30 minutes depending on traffic. It always seemed like that people's start times varied so the morning commute wasn't bad but everyone left around the same time which left 75 a parking lot until you got out of the city center. I loved living in Royal Oak - it has a vibrant downtown, weekly farmers market, great sense of community. It is probably one of my favorite towns in the metro area. We moved because of the schools though - my friends who still live in Royal Oak send their kids to private (St. Mary's) but that's not something we wanted to do so we moved north to Troy. I would give Royal Oak a look though - you should be able to get a nice house for your budget. The nicest areas are around Vinsetta Blvd.

Troy - I like Troy but for a girl who grew up in New England on quaint little towns with downtown areas Troy is definitely lacking. There is no downtown area - lots of office buildings and such. The schools are outstanding though and I feel like through the families I've met in our neighborhood that we have our own little community which I love. Commuting time will probably put you at about 45 minutes on average and housing prices are going to be a bit higher than Royal Oak. If you consider Troy make sure when you look at houses that you ask what the school district is. Not all Troy residents get Troy schools - my friend lives about a mile and a half north of us and she is in the Avondale school district which isn't nearly as good.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions and welcome to Michigan!

Yes, welcome to Michigan!

My DH and I lived in St. Clair Shores for several years before moving to Shelby Township. We lived around 14 Mile and Harper. It was a decent area, but we didn't have children at the time so I cannot tell you the differences in the schools. The commute to Detroit from SCS is awesome; hop on 94 and you're right there. Oakland County has much more traffic and the commute to Detroit could be a bear....but the schools and communities are nicer. It all depends on what is important to your family.

Overall, I have no complaints about SCS. It's an established community with plenty of choices for homes and businesses. However, it can feel a bit isolated, as everything we wanted to do seemed to be on the west side of the suburbs.

First, I agree with Colleen, west side is probably preferable to east side. However, Brighton and Saline are a bit far out for a sensible Detroit commute. Although I'm technically not looking (yet) for a new home, I'll probably be focusing on the Novi/Northville or Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham schools areas. These places might be a bit more upscale, but you can still probably find houses in your price range and take advantage of the excellent school systems.

Can I also put a plug in for my hometown of Grosse Ile? It's "downriver", but a truly awesome place to raise kids. I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could get DH to agree to it (it's one of the few thigns we don't agree on).

Colleen, thank you for the information! The office is on Griswold Street in Detroit, some big, historic, art deco building, I think the Guardian bldg maybe?

He and I will be neighbors, then. My office is right next door in the white marble building that looks a little like the WTC. Guardian Building is simply stunning inside.

In Oakland County, Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham/West Bloomfield are upscale, and have really good school districts. BH and WB also have lakes, as do Keego Harbor, Sylvan Lake, Orchard Lake, Commerce Township, Waterford, etc.

We live in these communities, and have a dock and a boat on the lake. Everybody else traipses "up north"...and we just head a couple of blocks over to our boat!

Hello fellow Michiganders & Michigander to be :) I live just barely west of Ann Arbor. I think it may be a bit of a hike for a commute, as would Saline or Brighton. I hate I-96 traffic when it isn't rush hour - during rush hour I think I would :furious:

I hope you enjoy my adopted state as much as I have. (We have lived in 4 states in our 15 years - we have been in Michigan for 8.5 of them). The people are super friendly and the weather isn't too bad. The worst thing about living in Michigan is the distance to WDW ;)

I've lived in SCS for 16 years. You can get a very, very nice home for ~$200k - we're talking lakefront, updated, good sized. It's a nice, established community with lower taxes & great city services for the money. Both Lakeshore & Lakeview school districts are really good...they've managed to keep class sizes relatively low & offer a lot. We have lived in both districts, but kept our kids in Lakeview since they were established there. For it's size & population, it really has a small town feel. Lots of parks, safe, and water activities for a family. It's a short, easy commute downtown...I work just inside Detroit and it takes me 15-20 min from 14 & Jefferson.

We just purchased our new home 2 years ago (kept our 1st in the Shores as a rental), and had an honest wonderful realtor if you need a local referral. Feel free to send me a message if you've got any questions. Good luck with your move! :)

ETA: The elementary school (Ardmore) my kids attend scored top in the county and 12th in the state. It is a less expensive place to live, but offers as much or more than the more "exclusive" communities.

All of the suggestions are good ones. We live in West Bloomfield because of the lakes we have access to and the school district. We both commute but don't mind the drive as we love our neighborhood and lake access. Our parks and recreation are top notch and our library received national recognition last year. That said it is 30-40 minutes downtown each day. My husband works by SCS but we liked the west side better for the schools and neighborhoods. Welcome to the metro area!

I love St. Clair Shores. There are not too many areas like it. It really has a small town feel & community oriented. Located along i94, every destination is a short drive.

Many of the other communities mentioned are great but very pricy with congested drives.

Welcome to Michigan!

Wow, thank you sooo much, everyone, for the good advice and welcomes to Michigan! I knew I could count on the DIS'ers! I am making notes on all of your suggestions! This whole moving process is overwhelming to me, so nice to have some friendly insight into the new area!

I can imagine how overwhelming it all is. I do hope you settle in quickly and painlessly. SCS is a nice community and a VERY short drive to Detroit.

I live in the western suburbs and I would highly recommend Plymouth or Canton. Excellent schools and you can definitely get a house in that price range. Plymouth has an adorable downtown and there's a great community center in Canton. Ford Rd. offers everything a person could want including Ikea, and Main Street has lots of mom and pop places and non-chain restaurants if that's more your speed. It's between Detroit and Ann Arbor so lots of things are easy to get to.

I'm not the hugest fan of the east side because it takes forever to get to Ann Arbor, and if you want collegiate sports or cultural opportunities outside of Detroit, Ann Arbor is the best place to get it.

People sure are dragging you around our state ;)! I think I would go with the recommendation of someone who actually lives in the community you had interest in, St. Clair Shores :). You were drawn there for a reason, which was to be on or near the water. Is this a permanent move? I live in Macomb County and am a bit insulted by the previous comments about it. There are blue collar workers in every county and from what I can tell neighborhoods with wealthy people as well as middle class have been affected by the economy the last 5 yrs :confused3. I have not seen renters coming and going from foreclosed homes, I have just seen a lot of homes on the market. The property taxes are much more expensive in Oakland County. I do like Rochester a lot, if you want a town with a "downtown." I lived there when I was first married :). Good luck with your search, it must be hard to pick a neighborhood when you are not familiar with the area at all.

I grew up in St. Clair Shores and still own our family home there, together with my sister (she lives in the home). St. Clair Shores is a very nice community. You should be able to find a nice home with your budget. I can't really comment on the schools, as it has been a LONG time since I graduated from Lakeshore High School, but I think Lakeview is the better district. The commute to downtown Detroit from SCS should not be too bad - about a half hour or so depending on the time of day.

Good luck and welcome to Michigan!

Hello fellow DIS Michiganders!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the good advice and say that we LOVE St. Clair Shores! We had a crazy time last summer trying to buy a house, had to put offers on 5 houses before we got one accepted, the market there was on fire! We ended up with a much smaller house than we originally thought because the market back home in PA was so bad we decided to keep our house instead of selling it for the time being so we can hopefully at least get what we paid for it, but I love our new house.

The kids are happy with their schools (Lakeshore district) and we just really enjoy living here. My dad says it's like going back in time, a real community feel. I can't wait to use the parks and waterfront areas when it finally warms up!

Hello fellow DIS Michiganders!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the good advice and say that we LOVE St. Clair Shores! We had a crazy time last summer trying to buy a house, had to put offers on 5 houses before we got one accepted, the market there was on fire! We ended up with a much smaller house than we originally thought because the market back home in PA was so bad we decided to keep our house instead of selling it for the time being so we can hopefully at least get what we paid for it, but I love our new house.

The kids are happy with their schools (Lakeshore district) and we just really enjoy living here. My dad says it's like going back in time, a real community feel. I can't wait to use the parks and waterfront areas when it finally warms up!
So glad you found what you were looking for. :welcome: to Michigan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter